Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Scared??!!

I have read the book and read through all the recipes. I have creeped on many different SBD threads. I have formulated a menu plan and typed out the allowed Foods for Phase 1 onto excel eliminating all that I won't eat and translated that information into a menu plan...The only thing I haven't done is grocery shop. UGH!!!!!

I keep stalling and I am terrified to start one more "way of life"...I know I need to start this but...I just haven't yet.

LOL! Nice way to introduce myself to the board, huh? - by venting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/188.8/155 Female 5'2"
BF:44%/27%/20%
Progress: 74%

I just started LC 2 weeks ago. It was actually because my fiance decided to do it (he likes LC and feels best when hes doing LC). I wasn't all that into it but just thought I'd give it a try (I've lost about 13 pounds in the past 2 weeks and REALLY feel great...the cravings are getting extremely manageable and my appetite is decreasing as well). One thing that helped me at the start was to not think of this like a diet or lifestyle change, but more as an experiment to see how I felt about it. And I gave myself guilt-free permission to not continue if I didn't like it after giving it a fair shake. The first few days were really hard (I was just so tired) but after that, its been pretty solid and I'm feeling energetic and great. So my suggestion would be to just take the pressure off yourself and try it as an experiment (give it at least a few weeks though...don't quit after a day). And then you can make the decision for yourself whether its the right choice for you!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-11, 07:45
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddswife
I have read the book and read through all the recipes. I have creeped on many different SBD threads. I have formulated a menu plan and typed out the allowed Foods for Phase 1 onto excel eliminating all that I won't eat and translated that information into a menu plan...The only thing I haven't done is grocery shop. UGH!!!!!

I keep stalling and I am terrified to start one more "way of life"...I know I need to start this but...I just haven't yet.

LOL! Nice way to introduce myself to the board, huh? - by venting.

HI and Welcome!

Some will say to feel your fear and do it anyway...and that is called courage!!

I too, was terrified when I started 7 yrs ago. But I started out anyway( because I had to!) and just went one day at a time. Over the first few weeks, it got so much better and easier for me. Each day my fears got less and less.

So, when are you going to go grocery shopping?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 08:05
Registered Member

Stats: 190.5/190.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:

toddswife, I am frightened too, probably because I've started and stopped so many diets in my lifetime, and I don't want to fail at this.

One thing that's helping me is that I feel I can make this a lifestyle and not just another diet. Every other diet I was on, after the weight came off, I just couldn't sustain what it took. With Weight Watchers I just couldn't keep up counting points forever. I hated counting carb grams on low carb diets. Like Dr. Agatston says in his book, counting up numbers all day is not sustainable; it's just no way to live.

I feel that the sheer genius of this plan is in its simplicity. Even my husband, who hates diets, started this yesterday. He came home from Toastmasters last night where they meet in a restaurant, and he proudly reported he had a chicken feta salad with vingarette dressing. He said he feels fantastic physically, even though it was his first day. He has metabolic syndrome and is very carb sensitive, so he's probably feeling the effects on his blood sugar right away. Usually he falls asleep after a carb heavy meal, so this is like day and night.

We can do this! The most important thing for me is to feel better (I too have metabolic syndrome) and find a new lifestyle, not just another diet. I feel I can do this. You can too!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 11:54

Stats: 182/182/135 Female 5 feet 3 inchees
BF:
Progress:
Default New to South Beach

I am new to the SOuth Beach diet and am so glad I found this site. I have failed so many times on different diets. But SCD makes sense to me. This is my second day on Phase 1. I am trying to be very careful about planning my meals and snacks so I don't go astray. With the support of others I know I can do it!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 12:42
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailPal
I am new to the SOuth Beach diet and am so glad I found this site. I have failed so many times on different diets. But SCD makes sense to me. This is my second day on Phase 1. I am trying to be very careful about planning my meals and snacks so I don't go astray. With the support of others I know I can do it!

Welcome Gail!!

Have you found the food lists and meal plan guides we have in the weighin thread?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 18:02
Registered Member

Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'2"
BF:

LOL Judy! I am actually taking this to the next level and making a grocery list out tonight. i want to make sure I have everything handy so I don't get frustrated.

Gail: We CAN do this together - Good luck!!!

Keepfaith: I agree completely. It is the fact that I have started and stopped and gained everything back at least a dozen times in my adult life. It is almost embarrassing to tell people I am trying yet another way of lifestyle. But I don't care anymore...onward and upward is my new motto.

Violinist: Great idea. Thanks for the tips and the insight. The guilt is always a killer...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 08:09

Stats: 182/182/135 Female 5 feet 3 inchees
BF:
Progress:
Smile Plugging along

Judy, I certainly do have the food lists and menu suggestions. Thank You. I keep referring to them to make sure I am doing things right.

It is nice to know others are struggling along with me in the early stages of this new lifestyle. So far (Day3) I am liking what I have eaten. Yesterday, I tried Tofu Shitakie noodles for the first time in a low carb recipe offered by "Hungry Girl" and it was delicious. If I can continue to enjoy the meals I am on the right track.

toddswife, YES we can do this together.

Thanks for listening.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 08:15
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailPal
Judy, I certainly do have the food lists and menu suggestions. Thank You. I keep referring to them to make sure I am doing things right.

It is nice to know others are struggling along with me in the early stages of this new lifestyle. So far (Day3) I am liking what I have eaten. Yesterday, I tried Tofu Shitakie noodles for the first time in a low carb recipe offered by "Hungry Girl" and it was delicious. If I can continue to enjoy the meals I am on the right track.

toddswife, YES we can do this together.

Thanks for listening.

Great! Feel free to join our weekly weighin thread.