Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 11:04
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Ah, grasshopper, I think you're getting it!

I think a lot of people confuse what I call stomach hunger and head hunger. I find that I welcome the sensation of stomach hunger, as it means that I have an empty place to put good food, which will then digest nicely and feel good. I've come to dislike the way it feels to eat before I get to that growly stomach point, because it usually means I'm adding more food into the mix of an ongoing digestive process.

Head hunger is not so much fun. It's relentless, prowly, naggy, and kind of insistently rude. At this point, it's usually a signal to me that there's something I my life I'm not managing--emotions, unwillingness to speak up in my own defense, etc.

I've also learned to prioritize doing the things that make me happy, pretty much on a daily basis. That's where I sort out the emotions. It's just progress along a continuum, and there are still moments when I get it mixed up. A few weeks ago I was in the middle of a plumbing disaster (no running water except from the light fixture in the kitchen ceiling--that's wrong, right?) and found myself staring into an open refrigerator as if I might find a plumber in there. But I was able to remind myself that food wasn't going to fix it, and shut the door. We struggle with a powerful set of habit patterns and programming, and it's not going away overnight.

But I'm happy to hear that when you're (stomach) hungry, you eat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 10:37

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy

Well... it's been a little while of trying out this IFing with Keto WOE. Lots of challenges have come my way ...still figuring myself out. Haven't always been successful with the daily battles, but I think the overall war is on the positive. Some things I've learned about myself during this time:
- as much as I agree with fasting clean, I've learned that if I don't have my suppliments first thing in the morning, I am a wreck for the rest of the day. I take Omega-3 & CoQ10 cap, potassium citrate, manesium citrate, and Vit D along with a blood pressure tblt. I'm not sure if it's the CoQq10 or the Vit D or what, but I've noticed that I can hardly function during the morning without them, so then I have now resigned myself to taking them with my morning 'breakfast' of black coffee.
- I've tried doing a couple of continuous days of fat-fasting ...having my fatty cheese as a snack/meal before going to bed so that I can sleep feeling satiated. Discovered that, from all the water I drank during the day (& peed out), I had horrible leg & thigh cramps during the night. Soooo painful!! Went online & discovered that some IFers giving themselves a hot mug of salted water to help reduce how much electrolites they were losing from peeing so often (when you dring water, you pee more than just the water). I tried that ...worked nicely. I put 1/4 tsp of himalayan salt into my large mug of hot water ...could almost pass as a broth.
-I've just entered the phase where I try to IF on a 20/4 hr ratio. I find I'm able to do it relatively easily if I take my supplements in the morning & do a hot mug of hot salt water mid afternoon.
-eating low carb is still a challenge for me when eating out (not so much at a restaurant, but rather, when DH & I are being hosted by friends for a meal. I'll aim at as many LC options as possible ...but oh!! ...those baked beans or spiced roasted potatoes or sushi!!
- with all my failures, I've still managed to be able to lose 1 1/2 lbs over the last month. Not coming down very quickly, but at least I'm going in the right direction.

Last edited by Schwarz : Fri, Oct-27-17 at 11:05.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 21:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Hey there, sounds like you're getting the hang of things, it is a lot of trial and error...for me, if I don't take magnesium religiously,that is sure thing for awful cramps.
Looks.like you're on the right path,have you thought of starting your own journal? Hope you have an awesome weekend!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 22:56

Plan: I plan to combine LC/IF
Stats: 243/239/160 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarz
I've been doing IF for about 2 weeks now ...lost 8 lb. I was introduced to IF while researching something else on YouTube. I latched onto seminars by J. Fung (author of Obesity Code) and have also listened to several videos by Eric Berg. Berg is not an MD while Fung is. Due to my dyslexia challenges, I learn better via audio & visual, so YouTube has been a wonderful tool! There's other vids on YouTube of people who do IF as well as Keto dieting, so lots of info out there.

My main reason for coming back to the LC forum is that I like to learn from others who are also trying the IF mode after other LC-alone approaches have not worked for them. I expecially appreciate those who share their 'failures' or 'draw backs' so I can learn from them too.

SO FAR I've found IF not difficult to follow (the 16:8 plan) since it almost follows most closely to my personality/habits. I'm sometimes am able to extend it into a 20:4 day. I began this eating style 2 weeks ago with a 2-day fast, using only about a 500-calorie snack before going to bed. I've since worked on trying to get 8 hours of sleep at night (not always successful). So ...thanks for replying my note & I look forward to hearing from others too.

Hi Schwarz. I have been on a 16:8 IF schedule for about three weeks. It is easy for me now and it fits with my family schedule. My scale was not working, so I am not certain of my starting weight. My goal is to work on LC during the eating window and to make a habit of recording what I eat.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 09:59

BF:

robynsnest: Hmmmm ...hadn't thought about journaling. Something for me to think on! My main hope coming on TDC was to learn from others doing IFing since I'm so green at it & want/need to learn.
IFnewstart: glad you're joining in. Let me know of good info out there.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 10:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I wasn't mentally prepared to do intermittent fasting in the beginning of my journey. I had a near phobia about missing a meal after so many years of near constant hunger. When I did add it to my program I found that it took some practice to get the hang of it. Now I consider it a valuable tool. It is liberating to experience the feeling of steady energy and lack of hunger while not eating for hours. It helped me with control, for sure. I think it also helped with my insulin resistance.

BTW: I wish you the best as you figure yourself out. That is what we are all doing here. BTW: I still take supplements when I fast. Black coffee, too. I'm not a purist.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 14:03

BF:

Hi Khrussva ...glad you piped in. I agree with you on the fear of missing a meal. For many years, whenever I heard of fasting, pictures of gaunt starving people would pop into my mind. I hate the feeling of being famished (had enough of it on other diets I've gone through). But as I read/learned from videos about just starting with postponing breakfast later & later into the morning, then progressing it to having it around noon, etc, I began realizing that I didn't need to do whole day fasting right from the very beginning ...that I could set my parameters easy to begin with & then readjust as I felt comfortable with taking another step. I believe one of my biggest enemies is the 'failure syndrome' ...when I don't make my goal, I get defeated too easily (guess that's part of the perfectionistic angle of my personality I'm also work on. Haha... if you read all my above comments, you can tell I'm a real 'piece of work'! But, hey ...aren't we all!! ).

Congrats on attaining your goal weight!!!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 19:42

Just popping in to see how you're doing.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-17, 09:01

BF:

Thanks for checking up on me robynsnest. It's been challenging for me lately with having agreed to help my daughter out with childcare needs in Alberta. I'm away from my home & regular routine for 4 weeks, cooking with items I don't allow in my home (cuz they're too tempting!!) and also working with menus that are 'more vegetarian' than I'm used to (i.e.: lentils, beans, pastas, rice, etc). We do eat meat, but it's very sparingly since we're on quite a tight budget. And eggs start becoming 'hard to digest' when I eat so many of them. I've introduced the 2 year old to cottage cheese (I add chopped frozen pineapple & a drop of pure vanilla extract in his ...he thinks it's lumpy ice cream), so that's good to have a 'partner' in eating cottage cheese. But I am succumbing to a number of carbs that are before me.

So far I've been able to refrain from eating before noon, but I've had to resort back to more of at 15:9 WOE. There's no scale in the house so I don't know how I'm doing weight-wise, but I'm just hoping I'm able to keep from going up in my weight. Fatigue is more of what I'm struggling with at the moment ...being over 60 & looking after 2 kids 2 years old & under while their mother is trying to finish off her last requirements to obtain her nursing degree (and dad is away on a distant jobsite) has been a real challenge for me. And, when I get exhausted, I don't do well with disciplines.

So ...I'll just keep trucking along with hanging on to my eating window and hope I am able to hold out until I get back home & get back on to my Keto menus.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-17, 09:53

Wow! You are a true hero, a wonderful mom and cherished grandmother, so for right now it's more about health than losing weight right? Enjoy this momentous time, and focus on yourself when things have normalized a bit.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-17, 03:18

BF:

Hey everyone, I just read this article about the Keto diet helping someone with epileptic-type seizures. Since Keto is part of my regiment for WOE (that is, when I'm at home), it really caught my attention. I'm sending the link for anyone interested in reading it too. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...-diet-1.4398999

Makes me wonder if it could help someone coming down with Alzheimer's.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-17, 12:55

BF:

Well, after having spent 4 weeks doing child care for my daughter, I now have until Dec 31 to spend at home doing the 'Christmas thing'. Then my husband & I will be off to northern Australia to visit our son & family until mid Feb. Sigh!!!... I'm not doing very well sticking to any kind of regiment when it comes to IFing or Keto eating ...just too many carbs and too chaotic a life right now (got family home for C'mas & more family arriving right after C'mas day) I'm hoping that I'll be able to at least get into a groove of some kind of fasting routine once we settle at my son's place in Australia ...but keto will be tough at their place. I don't want to be always beating myself up from failure ...I just want to be able to capture a sense of control again while away from home. Any tips you can offer as far as controlling mind or staying motivated while life is chaotic or when you're out of your normal environment would be gladly accepted. I sure don't feel very strong right now.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-26-17, 08:43

BF:

I just took some time to read a few threads this morning ...found some good answers to my above questions in robynsnest thread How will you deal with the stress of the holidays? Some very good insights offered by members there. Thanks to everyone for their input in that thread!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 08:50

Stats: 260/178/150 Female 5'.5"
BF:
Progress: 75%

"I am also learning to break free from emotional eating. So... I am trying to not run to food when I 'think' I'm hungry during stressful times."

This is also my main struggle...I tried switching to emotional shopping..but even the thrift/second hand stores were more than my budget could handle...so now I come into my little closet that I jokingly call my computer "room" and read the forum and gather strength from all of you...It also helps that, for right now, I live alone so there is literally no "bad" food in the house...that will change shortly as my daughter and granddaughter are coming to live with me..The daughter is diabetic and recovering from a spinal injury..and her dietary needs include things that I'm not eating...

Keep up the good fight...
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 10:41

BF:

Thanks LoletaLynn.

It's been a struggle for me to keep on the straight and narrow ...I have a long way to go to get to a healthy weight. I'm basically 'in training' to stay on my goal of doing 2 day-time fasts per week & then cook Keto for the rest of the time. I don't do too badly when I'm home, but being away & trying to stay on the plan is difficult for me.

For all those who are doing (or considering doing) the Keto way of eating, there's a documentary currently on Netflix (Canada) that I found very enlightening. The title is "The Magic Pill". Very thought provoking! I'd like to encourage as many as possible to watch it. Would love to get your feedback on it as well.