Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/132/115 Female 62-3in
BF:24/22/19
Progress: 6%
Default Pms

How to break through the stall of PMS-cravings and bloating. Every month my life is turned upside down by what most women would refer to as PMS: aka : HELL! I binged last night and have a hot date tomorrow, what can I do to reap the most benefits weightloss wise in about 30 hrs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 10:47

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Just don't binge again today! or tomorrow during the day!

Do you walk? If so, go further.

I don't know how to tell you to stop the PMS binges. I don't find I have them as bad when I low carb.

Eat some celery and take some potassium to get rid of any fluid.
And drink your water

Make sure you eat though. If you don't your metabolism may slow down.

This TOM is really a hard time for a hot date.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 21:49
Registered Member

Blah, and the date's off because my ex got the worst cough today. Oh well, weightloss efforts are forever! lol
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 00:11

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Hi bitoxicity,
I have terrible pms, too. I just went to my gyn. on monday, and he offered me this solution: a new birth control prescription (a low dose type that is supposed to be good for weight loss). What he is having me do is take active pills all year, which eliminates big hormonal changes, and periods. he said it should stop the pms.
take care!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 08:23

What's the name of this Lilli? I would love to stop having PMS.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 12:52

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
What's the name of this Lilli? I would love to stop having PMS.

the b.c. i was prescribed is a generic. i don't know what the brand at your healthcare provider would be, since they seem to vary. but this is what it is:
brevicon-28 (norethindrone & ethinyl estradiol tablets, 0.5mg/0.035mg)
the company is watson pharma.

(i asked the dr. for a pill that would not hinder weightloss, and that would be good for pms depression. He prescribed that one cuz it's low dose. he said that's the best for these issues. we'll see!)

the prescription says "take i tablet orally daily without placebo for pms)
the "placebo" is the inactive pills of the month; when you get your period. For pretty much ALL birth control, if you stop taking the placebo you will stop ovulation, and stop the pms (you will still have spotting.), because your hormonal levels will NOT change. My gyn (who is very highly recommended and books up months in advance- he knows his stuff..l) told me that this method has been around for 40 years and is safe, & is actually BETTER for future fertility, cuz it takes away ovulation-related problems.
FYI, if you stop taking the placebo pills, you go directly from the last active pill in your current pack, to the next active pill in the next pack (you DON'T) skip a week. 1 active pill a day, for as long as you use this method.

That's all the info i have. Talk to your doc.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 23:00
Registered Member

I hate pms! Parents won't let me go on b.c because of the general invitation it presents: sex and worse still, father today was like "hun, keep at the diet u're with and soon you simply won't fit through the door" !I"m sooo bloated I want to cry!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 07:36

Well, any pill with progesterone every day won't stop my pms blues. The prog is what causes it and when I take a combo pill, I just get worse.

This looks pretty much like most low dose pills.

I'll be at the doctor wednesday, so hopefully we can find something. I don't know if they make a patch with just estrogen, but I will find out. What I'd like to do is have an estrogen patch, and then take progresterone orally the last ten days. I may also try the Serafem.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 13:03

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Was your dad joking? If not that's pretty messed up.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/110.5/110 Female 64in
BF:15%
Progress: 99%

hey hun-
i'm not on bcright now either (no bf) lol. the way i deal with the issue is to drink a lot of water, stay away from the scale (didn't do this today- regret the mood it put me in) and take midol menstrual formula- it does wonders for the bloating (although it still doesn't really decrease the water weight gain). I sometimes gain up to 4 lbs.
Don't worry about it- its all about learning about your bod.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 18:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
father today was like "hun, keep at the diet u're with and soon you simply won't fit through the door" !I"m sooo bloated I want to cry!

*sigh* Even dads can be idiots sometimes. Hon, at your height and weight you're hardly in danger of not fitting through the door. I hope he didn't mean that as bad as it sounds because if he did, his wife needs to smack him up side the head; I know I would if my DH said that to either of my daughters in my hearing!

My DDs are 9 and 10 (getting close to puberty) and I'm an older mom. I was kidding DH not too long ago that pretty soon, he'll be dealing with 2 daughters PMSing and 1 wife going through menopause all at the same time. His response? "I suppose moving out for 1 week a month is out of the question, right?"