Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/221/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Question about salt, dextrose & Mayonnaise?

1) Salt is not listed as an allowed spice on Atkins, however read somewhere that a little salt is needed for your body.

2) Dextrose is in so many foods, also not allowed on Atkins. Are any of you eating food with Dextrose? Was at the grocery store to buy lunch meat, every brand has Dextrose in the ingredients. Want to make some cream cheese inside lunch meat for a snack. What brand does not have dextrose?

3) Mayonnaise with out added sugar is hard to find other than organic. Guess I should make my own.

I had a few slip ups last week and did not lose weight the 2nd week of induction. Lost 1 pound so far this week.

Last week I ate spicy pork rinds...they have added sugar. Was using garlic and pepper seasoning...also has added sugar and Mayo. I put my reading glasses on and actually read a few labels, LOL.

Live and learn.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 07:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisysun
1) Salt is not listed as an allowed spice on Atkins, however read somewhere that a little salt is needed for your body.

2) Dextrose is in so many foods, also not allowed on Atkins. Are any of you eating food with Dextrose? Was at the grocery store to buy lunch meat, every brand has Dextrose in the ingredients. Want to make some cream cheese inside lunch meat for a snack. What brand does not have dextrose?

3) Mayonnaise with out added sugar is hard to find other than organic. Guess I should make my own.

my opinions follow

1) Use Salt Liberally, Dr. Atkins recommended or not

2) As you've observed, dextrose is used in a lot of process foods. Avoid or minimize it's use the best you can. I ingest it occasionally in sweeter packs and flavored pork skins, etc. Not found in Fresh Chicken, Pork, Beef, Fish, Lard, Kale, Spinach, Onions, Eggs, Carrots, Beets, Watermelon, Sugarcane, etc...

I have not looked for lunch meat without dextrose in it. If I've committed to eating "lunch meat" I've committed to counting the carbs from dextrose. In general I avoid lunch meat like I try to avoid traffic jams. Sometimes you just end up in one and roll with it, but I don't intentionally go looking for them

3) Making your own mayo is fun, I've done it with EVO and Avocado Oil from walmart. I've pretty much abandoned using mayo for some reason. There's a brand called "Dukes" that purports no sugar. I think the "sugar" on the label on let's say, "Hellman's" mayo is pretty low and probably negligible unless your eating entire jars of it, that would not be a sugar problem at that point

Have Fun. Read Labels. Question Authority. Don't Take My Word on anything!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 08:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I try to avoid anything containing dextrose, maltodextrose or any other sugars. If any sugar substance (and there are many) is listed in the ingredients, I usually don't purchase the product. I will make an exception with certain brands of bacon, and I also make sure that the percentage of added sugar is extremely low.

1) Salt is necessary - read the salt thread on this forum. Here's the link:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=445775

2) Stay away from anything containing dextrose. I have found many brands of cream cheese that don't contain dextrose.

3) Making your own mayonnaise is the best option, and you control what's in it and the taste as well.

Don't be concerned about minor slip ups, learn and move forward. Losing weight will happen at different rates for different people. Consistency with your eating is what will make you successful.

Pork rinds - locate plain pork rinds with only salt and pork as ingredients. The other flavored pork rinds sound good, but they usually spray them with maltodextrin to make the spices stick. Good luck.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, May-31-18 at 08:05.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 10:32

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Pork rinds - locate plain pork rinds with only salt and pork as ingredients. The other flavored pork rinds sound good, but they usually spray them with maltodextrin to make the spices stick. Good luck.
Thanks for that - they were out of plain pork rinds and only had vinegar flavored. Sure enough - maltodextrin in the ingredients (none in the original plain).

Maltodextrin can produce similar metabolic and cognitive effects to those of sucrose in the rat. 6-2014
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 03:40
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisysun

I had a few slip ups last week and did not lose weight the 2nd week of induction. Lost 1 pound so far this week.

Last week I ate spicy pork rinds...they have added sugar. Was using garlic and pepper seasoning...also has added sugar and Mayo. I put my reading glasses on and actually read a few labels, LOL.

Live and learn.

It's very frustrating that they add sugar to everything, and try to hide it by calling it many different things, but if it's any consolation, the amount of sugar they add to Hellman's mayo is small, less than 1g per tbsp.

Also, it's been a long time since I read the Atkin's book, but I don't recall him talking too much about salt. Maybe he didn't want people to be retaining water weight. Your body does need some sodium, but if you're eating any kind of cheese or processed meat (cold cuts, salami etc.), or anything that comes in a can, you will be getting way, way more sodium than the minimum requirements. It's almost impossible not to get enough sodium in your diet if you aren't outright water fasting. I've replaced my salt shaker with No Salt (Potassium Chloride) just to try and balance out the sodium I'm getting built-in to all my other foods.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 08:17

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm very fortunate to live in an area that sells Duke's mayonnaise. I love the stuff. It's a staple for me. My second choice is Hellman's real mayo, which has a negligible amount of sugar in it.

As for dextrose, maltodextrin, etc., once in a while I'll see it in the ingredients of a packaged food, but if it's way toward the bottom of the list (which it usually is), I don't stress out over it, especially if the carb content is low and the item doesn't make me sick or hungry. I just do my best to keep those indulgences rare and minimal.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 08:45
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
I'm very fortunate to live in an area that sells Duke's mayonnaise. I love the stuff. It's a staple for me. My second choice is Hellman's real mayo, which has a negligible amount of sugar in it.

As for dextrose, maltodextrin, etc., once in a while I'll see it in the ingredients of a packaged food, but if it's way toward the bottom of the list (which it usually is), I don't stress out over it, especially if the carb content is low and the item doesn't make me sick or hungry. I just do my best to keep those indulgences rare and minimal.

They are getting really clever at shifting the sugar down to the bottom of the ingredients list by using 4 or 5 different kinds.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 07:22

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm 63 now and have been using Sweet 'N' Low (sparingly) since my teens, and I'm still here to tell about it. Sweet 'N' Low is effectively dextrose plus saccharin. I know it's not great in and of itself, but it eases a multitude of potential ills for me when it comes to making food choices.

Bottom line, if in the overall scheme of things something works for you, go for it. If not, don't.

Last edited by barb712 : Sat, Jun-02-18 at 07:28.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 09:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I ignore trace amounts of sugar, as long as it's less than a gram or two of carbs per serving and I'm minding the serving sizes. If I didn't, I'd be spending more money than I could afford. I eat the $2 wieners with traces of sugar and generic mayonnaise.

I'd caution you, though, against using your weight loss as a method of deciding whether or not those foods are an issue. You're going to lose a pound or two here and there, and it's not going to be linear even if your diet was perfect and exactly the same every single day.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 10:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I make my own mayonnaise but it has little to do with the sugar, made it long before LC. I avoid processed seed oils (soybean, corn, vegetable and canola) so make my own with avocado oil or Bertolli Light Olive in a pinch, using this recipe:
https://www.everydaymaven.com/how-to-make-mayonnaise/
Super simple. And tastes better!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 10:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

My solution to the issue is to only buy single ingredient foods. No labels to read, no nasty ingredients to think about plus I avoid seed oils. They may be single ingredient foods but they are highly processed so I avoid them.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 10:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I don't recall him mentioning salt or sodium specificall (2002 DANDR), but he does recommend broth / bouillon - 1 or 2 / day.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 12:51
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Watch the heavy whipping cream too. Many have sugar added and carrageen, the latter is even being added to some brands of Half 'n Half now
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:44
Registered Member

Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Mayo

Just by the by - I read a fabulous method of making your own guilt free atkins acceptable mayonnaise. Haven't tried it yet but plan to this weekend. link here.
https://www.everydaymaven.com/how-to-make-mayonnaise/
Go forward with kindness.