Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb High Fat
Stats: 342/322/175 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I thought I'd update here what has worked for me with binge eating:

stage 1: complete sugar abstinence (including honey, juice, etc)
high calorie, high fat meal as my first meal of the day.
aiming for lowish carb, but making no strict demands on myself
no deliberate calorie restriction, eat to appetite

I'm currently 78 days (of 90 day plan) completed of stage 1 with no binges. I also log in every day on the 90 day challenge thread for accountability and support.

Planned:

stage 2: complete grain abstinence plus everything from stage 1 (90 days)

stage 3: lower carbs to below 50g a day plus sugar and grain abstinence and high calorie, high fat meal first thing every day, eat to appetite.

The idea is to gradually change eating, causing long term behaviour change for health and hopefully eventually weight loss. However, at the moment I'm not concentrating on weight loss, only maintenance. If I lose that's OK, but I'm not trying.

The only thing I can change is my behaviour around food and eating. I need to do this BEFORE I can focus on weight loss. If I don't get control then I will never get healthy or lose weight.

For me this is a long term plan for lifelong behaviour change and health improvement.

This sounds like a great plan!

I find that "not concentrating on weight loss" helps me too. But I'm not too good at this part cause I tend to obsess over how much I still have to lose but then I remember that obsessing and starving brought me in this vicious cycle of binge eating in the first place. It's weird how my brain can complicate things

Also, I like your goal of "eating to appetite". I find that staying low carb helps me feel when I'm really hungry. If I mess up with my insulin, I never know when it's real hunger and it's frustrating.

Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 17:15

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I took the batteries out of the scale, I'm with Leemack on this. Ditch the scales, maintence mode. Sure I'd like to loose about 40 lbs but I'd like more to stop binging.

Had a biggie today, managed to not eat while I was in town and on the road today. BIGGIE I have to make a road trip on Monday, have to kee at it.
  #378   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 06:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

In thee original Atkins books, the amount to eat is based on feelling full, not stuffed but til full. ANd here is where I am thinking, this is a great idea but when on a binge the amount of food eaten is compulsive ( not controlled) and I know I eat and eat and eat. Last night it was the minola oranges that FIL mailed from FL. Grrrrr. Recently I allowed myself to buy only two at the grocery. TO minimize damage but still enjoy my favorite orange that is available only once a year. Dang. A boxful to cope with when I have no way to control this urge to eat. So praying today will be the end of those oranges-- I see only one left in the box. YEAYYYYY

The compulsive eating hits usually in the afternoon or evening. A drive to have a bread or sweet type item. OMG it is totally out of control.

I plan to reread Atkins book in hopes of getting a better mind set. THat has helped in the past.

As long as I am casual about this, I will be gaining. Pants are not fitting again. ANd I'm up 30 pounds. 15 since Thanksgiving.

I'm NOT quitting.
  #379   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 09:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Gosh haven't read all the posts in this thread yet but it's so nice to find we are not alone, not a bad person, not a greedy pig. There is so much more to food and how it affects us that we are just beginning to see. Knowledge is Power.
Wish I could (LIKE) a post because it's thumbs up to you all! 😀
  #380   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 10:02

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

its a super complicated issue.. and you are definitely not alone.
  #381   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 15:06
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy

to my surprise after my first day of fast, I binged like crazy on my eat day. Today is my fasting day, I hope not to repeat the binge tomorrow
  #382   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 10:09

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

How did it go?
  #383   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 06:41

BF:

I have a thing for oranges too, its the amount of sugar in them. I have been on plan for straight 10 days, over all feel fine. Haven't lost anything since the water woosh but thats ok. Been terribly hungry, I'm not meaning cravings, I'm meaning real hunger all dam afternoon!
  #384   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 15:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

GOt my butt kicked by the CHicago Pizza recipe by COoks Country. Dang it is better than sliced bread. Put on 20 pounds without trying.

I did get it under control though. ANd basically live LC most of the time. Ultimately holding my weight, happy to not be gaining any more.

Started a job that keeps me walking at a fast pace for about 7.5 hours a day. You would think that would drop some weight. Naught!!

Feeet hurt terribly every day. ANd I finally started wondering if pain and inflammation played a part in preventing weight loss. I am toned up, and would like to think I have gained some muscle mass but not sure. Pants still fit about the same-- so at a loss about that.

Feeting hurting less, so hoping to see what that brings. ( secretly praying for a miraculous weight loss!! ROFL)
  #385   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 16:15

BF:

Hi everyone! I have managed to keep the binge monster away for. . . this is the 6th day and its getting close to an end. Ive gained, hit 202.4 last Tuesday, today I'm to 201.lbs. A little bit frusterating and overwelming.

I do not want to be who I am when I'm binging. I stop and think about how sick and unconforbale I feel and how I don't want to eat or even cook supper after I've binged.

Twice today I thought that I should just drive up to the gas station and get junk food. Both times I though about how sick I get and I don't want to go there and one trip to the gas station won't be enough, I will do it again tomorrow.