Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 11:55

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Great article from dietdoctor.com

This really got me thinking.

Quote:
When refined carbohydrates are everywhere, how can we help the millions who are being held captive, against their knowledge, by an endorphin-releasing, addictive substance that is making them fat and ill?

I have been thinking about that question a lot, ever since returning from the Low Carb USA conference in San Diego at the end of July.

The conference itself was a fabulous four days, full of cutting edge presentations by leading low-carb experts like Jeff Volek, Dr. Steve Phinney, Dr. Georgia Ede, Dr. Jeffrey Gerber, Miriam Kalamian, Ivor Cummins, Dave Feldman and many more, including Diet Doctor’s Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt. We heard a number of times, particularly in speeches by Dr. Robert Cywse and by addictions researcher Nicole Avena, how addictive carbohydrates really are.

It was my first time, in my three plus years of ketogenic eating, that I’ve attended a world-class event devoted to the low carb (even no carb) way of life. It was invigorating and inspiring. The presentations were informative, detailed and motivating. The Q&A sessions after each speech featured thoughtful, applicable queries. Many of these presentations will be featured as videos on Diet Doctor in the months ahead.

For me, however, one of the most inspiring and motivating parts was simply meeting and talking with other attendees whose lives have been transformed, sometimes even saved, from finding the low carb ketogenic way of life.

Everyone had a story. Often it was a moving and dramatic transformation from ill health and disability to new-found vigor and wellness. I heard about adult epilepsy finally under control, hundreds of pounds lost, diabetes reversed, migraines eased or gone, depression lifted, even cancers held in remission. Some of these people will be featured in upcoming posts here at the Diet Doctor site.

A recurring theme, among all I talked to, was the overwhelming feeling of being set free, being liberated from the shackles of poor health and poor diet after years of captivity. Freedom from the siren call of carbs. It was freedom from feelings of guilt and shame over the weight they had tried for decades to lose. It was the freedom from feeling ill, tired and achy, of suddenly having energy and the desire to move and dance. It was freedom from feeling unjustly blamed by their doctors and others in their lives that they were simply making poor choices, or were too lazy or not trying hard enough. Now they knew that addictive carbohydrates had been unwittingly making them sick for years. They could see that now so clearly. Now they were free.

It was a joyful, inspiring, supportive mingling. At the end of the four days we parted with the hugs of true connections and friendships made.

And then, with a number of hours ahead of me before my plane back to Canada, I decided to visit the world famous, award-winning San Diego Zoo. The zoo pays the utmost attention to creating for each species its optimal environment and diet. For their pandas and other animals that live on bamboo, for example, they grow 67 different bamboo taxa. Their astonishing collection of birds each have their nutritional needs researched and a diet created that mimics what it would consume most closely in the wild. The carnivores, like their 18 Sumatran tigers, get fed shank bones or rabbit carcasses stuffed with beef heart.

All the animals looked remarkably healthy, happy and well-cared for, existing on the food they were evolved to eat in an environment that mimicked their natural habitat.

Not so the humans — thousands of them visiting the zoo on this hot July day. Many looked miserable, exhausted, chaffing under the hot sun. Three out of four, alas, were overweight or obese. Children, adolescents, adult men and women, seniors.

All around, however, were food kiosks selling huge containers of soft drinks, ice cream, corn dogs, hot dogs, pizza, french fries, kettle corn and much more. Sweet smells lingered and taunted on the breeze. Many people munched on carb snacks or sipped from huge containers of sugary drinks as they watched the animals eat their specially-tailored optimal diets designed for their specific needs.

It was the humans who were captive in an unhealthy environment, caught in a carbohydrate-addictive culture that they did not know yet was a cage that was making them sick, fat and exhausted. It was heart breaking to see. As Kristie Sullivan noted so eloquently last year in a post called Carb Trouble, “how do you start a conversation?” with a stranger to let them know that all the carbs in their life are what is likely causing their ill health and weight gain. You simply can’t start the conversation. They must hear it from a trusted source, like a doctor, friend or family, or from a ground-swell movement that has them see, with their own eyes for the first time, the bars and chains of their carb cage.

It was deeply upsetting. But I came home redoubled in my commitment to help spread the word as far and as wide as possible through Diet Doctor, to help make low carb simple and understandable to all.

Anne Mullens
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 12:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

After describing how well the animals in the zoo were fed and then he said this:
"It was the humans who were captive in an unhealthy environment, caught in a carbohydrate-addictive culture that they did not know yet was a cage that was making them sick, fat and exhausted."

So hilarious but yet so true!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 13:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Sad , but true.

MIL wanted to take us out to eat. After I had said kids were skipping pasta and breads. I suggested another time. She pushed. I caved. My kids filled up on pasta and huge buger buns and onion rings....

Yes we are held captive at many levels.

Only at home can I control our food and eat healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 14:01

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

So true for so many of us. After so many stories like yours, mine and others, I decided not to be that kind of MIL (not suggesting yours doesn't have other good qualities). But, you know, that aspect. Whatever the parents say the kids eat, that's their business as the parents, not mine to decide. DIL really likes me as a result.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 15:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The irony of the zoo with the animals eating better than the humans is striking, sad, and a reality.

How true the challenge of influencing others. I'm resigned to setting a good, consistent example and hoping it will get the attention of some. After a few years of me eating keto, my daughter, son, DIL, and wife adopted the Whole30 plan and my daughter and son are now permanently on this WOE. My wife eats LC most of the time now. That's a huge change, and if I campaigned for this, it would not have happened. Being an example, achieving health improvements, and responding to the occasional question was and will continue to be my role.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 08:06

BF:

Several years ago, fall of 2010 a chicken in need of a home came to live with us. I didnot have chickens for a reason. Turns out I was wrong about chickens, and my order of 25 chicks arrived in Feb 2011.

I learned how to feed them well. About feeding greens, adding Braggs to their water..... their eggs become a dark golden orange full of Vit A and omega 3's.....

And one day I realized my birds were eating better than my family. I started to make more changes. Already living the LC life, I looked into organic, gardening, omega3's , to understand what needed changing.

Have tried gardening now for 3 years; planted about 20 fruit trees to replace the 5 old ones, planted black berries, pick wild blackberries, collect grape leaves, grow chives.

Most recently buying what grassfed beef as I can afford; only olive oil, co and grassfed and reg butter. NO vegetable oils. Organic celery and mushrooms.

The peaches are ready to pick.

Looking back I cant beleive I was so brainwashed. Food is medicine.Pay now or pay later.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201.2/195.2/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Only at home can I control our food and eat healthy.

This is so true! When my in laws come over, they bring cake and brownies. When we go out to eat with them for birthdays (which is at least once a month) meals involve pizza, fries, chocolate milk, and ice cream. My children are young, they are 6, 10, and 12, and they are growing up in a world full of bad food choices. It does not help when family actively encourages those choices. Oh, and the entire inlaw side, including my kids’ dad, is morbidly obese or super obese.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 09:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaygirl
This is so true! When my in laws come over, they bring cake and brownies. When we go out to eat with them for birthdays (which is at least once a month) meals involve pizza, fries, chocolate milk, and ice cream. My children are young, they are 6, 10, and 12, and they are growing up in a world full of bad food choices. It does not help when family actively encourages those choices. Oh, and the entire inlaw side, including my kids’ dad, is morbidly obese or super obese.

I hear your fustrations.

What I can influence is what my kids eat at home. So I keep pushing the vegies, clean meats. ANd teach them how to cook. We have been trying Dana Carpenters recipes to find LC options that are tastey for every member ofthe family.

As one of my teens is into protein drinks, we found one lc browie recipe that is rather tastey. Not super LC, but a long way from sugar and flour.

This month is supposed to be a no bread and not pasta month.... I marvel that my youngest is frying up steak and eggs with salad for breakfast. We got rid of breakfast cereals when they wereabout 5-7 and replaced that food with dinner foods. Son is following this on his own now.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 09:55

BF:

I made the point of going to the Saturday church breakfast to see a friend to get an update. My frustration is that he is quasi on the fence about weight loss. I had to ask him to his face if he read any of the links I gave him on low carbing. He said he did, but looking in his eye--- nope. He has lost 20 pounds in 3months. At 400 pounds, said he could loose faster, and as he said he ate bacon and eggs for breakfast encouraged him to step it up and move the weight faster. When I asked him if he showed the Atkins program to his dietitian, he said he didnt.

One last step. Will print out the Atkins program and hand it to him. It is here on this forum.