Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 00:50

Plan: under 40 gms/day
Stats: 267/230/135 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:I float.
Progress: 28%
Default How successful has semi-LC been for you?

I have started and failed twice with Atkins, and recently gained another 20 pounds.

I am thinking just taking my carbs to 60 or 70 gms a day may work better for me. But will I still see the weight loss that is the same on Atkins?

Maybe folks could tell me how much they have lost on this WOE, how many carbs they take in per day, and how long they've been doing this WOE.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 17:18

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I eat meat/fish three times a day, plus a slightly green banana before bed and a baked potato, cooled to room temperature, for breakfast. The banana and potato provide resistant starch, fiber and serotonin. I have lost from 277 Dec 3 to 214 today. My weight loss is now accelerating again with this diet, I have made several modifications along the way. I also snack on hard boiled eggs and almonds if I get hungry. No wheat, no grains. Occasionally a slice of liverwurst as comfort food, which I share with my dog. I might also occasionally add in some guacamole.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 11:24

I guess either not many people are doing this WOE, or no one has had success, given the vast number of replies!

Matt, thankyou, looks like it has really worked for you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 185/139/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 131%

I eat a pretty strict paleo diet, which is not very low carb (I enjoy fruit at almost every meal). I'm guess I consume about 100 grams of carbs per day (total, not net I think). I've had a lot of success. I've lost about 18 pounds and 2-3 dress sizes since January 22nd...which is great for me!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 01:02

That's awesome, Karlin. Thanks for answering! Paleo...I'm going to go google that one!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 06:06

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

It may not matter whether the diet is low or moderate carb -- perhaps it matters much more what kind of carb it is. Take a look at all the recent threads about FRUCTOSE and it's role in weight gain and in diabetes.

Potatoes, pasta, rice may be relatively safe compared to table sugar

December 13th, 2007 - 1:10 pm ICT by admin

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...e=UTF-8&strip=1

Washington, Dec 13 (ANI): If you think that going for a no-carb diet can keep you fit, then you need to think again, for a new study has found that table sugar does more harm than starchy foods such as bread, rice and potatoes.
Researchers at the University of Florida, who propose using new dietary guidelines based on fructose to gauge how healthy foods are, have called for dieters to put the new findings into practice.

Theres a fair amount of evidence that starch-based foods dont cause weight gain like sugar-based foods and dont cause the metabolic syndrome like sugar-based foods.

Potatoes, pasta, rice may be relatively safe compared to table sugar. A fructose index may be a better way to assess the risk of carbohydrates related to obesity, said Dr. Richard Johnson, the senior author of the report, which reviewed several recent studies on fructose and obesity.

Many diets, including the low-carb variety, are based on the glycemic index, which measures how foods affect blood glucose levels. Because starches convert to glucose in the body, these diets tend to limit foods such as rice and potatoes.

Researchers said while table sugar is composed of both glucose and fructose, fructose seems to be the more dangerous part of the equation.

Johnson, the division chief of nephrology and J. Robert Cade professor of nephrology in the UF College of Medicine, said that eating too much fructose causes uric acid levels to spike, which can block the ability of insulin to regulate how body cells use and store sugar and other nutrients for energy, leading to obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Certainly we dont think fructose is the only cause of the obesity epidemic. Too many calories, too much junk food and too much high-fat food are also part of the problem. But we think that fructose may have the unique ability to induce insulin resistance and features of the metabolic syndrome that other foods dont do so easily, Johnson said.

Johnson said studies at other institutions have revealed that following a low-glycemic diet can reduce the risk for diabetes and heart disease, but the effect could occur because these dieters often are unintentionally limiting fructose as well by cutting out table sugar.

Processed foods have a lot of sugar. Probably the biggest source (of fructose) is soft drinks, Johnson said.

Johnson also noted that, in relation to obesity, the type of fructose found in ....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 06:38

BF:

Read "fructose malabsorption" in Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption
Wheat has fructose like chemicals. 35-40% of Central Europe has fructose malabsorption. Other sources say about 1/3 of all humans do.
Wheat and high fructose corn syrup are the worst fructose offenders in the typical diet. I quit eating apples based on the Wikipedia article. I do eat banana, as the article says those fruits which have an equal proportion of glucose to frutose do not cause problems. Oranges, kiwi, most berries, should be ok.
I read another article which said the average American ate 0.5 lbs of fructose per year in 1970 (I assume fruit), and now ate 59 lbs per year (I assume high fructose corn syrup).
Interestingly, plain corn syrup such as Caro is 100% glucose.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 06:44

BF:

Lill Annie -
From the comments Johnson made regarding part of the reason Americans are fat is because we eat too much fat, I would say maybe we eat too much esterized or hydrogenated corn and soybean oils as fat. Lowering consumptions of cheap vegetable oil fats would help everyone. I doubt saturated fat from meat or monosaturated fat from olive oil is the problem.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 07:01

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Dr. Richard Johnson is the author of The Sugar Fix which is about how excluding all forms of fructose from your diet will result in weight loss.

The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick

by Richard Johnson M.D., Timothy Gower

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...e=UTF-8&strip=1

If interested, there's lots more info in another messagethread located over here:

Fructose Metabolism By The Brain Increases Food Intake And Obesity

LC Research/Media Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=393715

Last edited by lil' annie : Sun, Apr-05-09 at 07:07.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 185/139/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 131%

As a Gary Taubes fan, I find it hard to believe any medical research before looking into what they were hoping to find, how the research was done, and who funded it.

Also, I eat no grains, dairy, beans, processed foods, or nightshades...so the only sugar (fructose) I get in my diet is fruit. I also eat more berries than any other fruit. My fructose consumption has to be extremely low compared to the average person.

Last edited by karlin : Sun, Apr-05-09 at 07:30.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 07:28

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 222/203/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I follow a semi-lc plan. It's basically the Flat Belly Diet with a few modifications to keep it lower carb (50-65g). I tried it out of desperation as I had been following Atkins to the letter for months and I was barely maintaining, feeling deprived and ready to cheat. Since changing to the semi-lc plan, I have been losing at a steady rate and it's nice being able to have a slice of sprouted wheat bread now and again, and having a 1/2 of a baked potato with all the toppings every once in awhile and not feeling guilty about it.

I also exercise. I do strength training and cardio a few days a week. I'm pleased with the results I am getting and a much happier camper. And I've lost a LOT of visceral fat so my clothes size keeps dropping, yay!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 10:12

Plan: gi diet
Stats: 150/137/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

I, too, follow a semi-low carb plan. I started by just cutting out white bread, potatoes, and white rice. As I got used to that, I also cut out the brown rice, whole wheat bread. I also cut down on my sugar intake, so the articles about sugar vs. carbs are interesting - who knows? I've never been one to eat much fruit. Anyway, I started with about 120 carbs, lowered it to 100, then 80, now I'm working toward 60. I'm glad I started that way because it was easier than just cutting out everything all at once. Good luck however you decide. I am interested to know the right 'level' of carbs truly recommended. I've heard everything from 20 to 120. My body seems to do good on 80, but I thought I'd go down even more just to see. Most of those carbs come from green vegetables, so I'll eventually come to a point that I won't go any lower, as I won't cut out my veggies. Oh, by the way, I have been losing weight since I got my carbs below 120, so IMHO, it is very possible to be very successful with a semi-low carb plan.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/180/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 180%

Check out carbohydrate cycling (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=304622).

Worked for me... going since Jan 5th, stacked on a ton of muscle mass and shred off a ton of bodyfat. But make sure you do it properly or else you'll mess up your body.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 09:46

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlin
As a Gary Taubes fan, I find it hard to believe any medical research before looking into what they were hoping to find, how the research was done, and who funded it.

Also, I eat no grains, dairy, beans, processed foods, or nightshades...so the only sugar (fructose) I get in my diet is fruit. I also eat more berries than any other fruit. My fructose consumption has to be extremely low compared to the average person.

I'm a big fan of Taubes too. I'm currently incorporating all recent experiments on fructose metabolism into Taubes' carb hypothesis. So far the fructose hypothesis fits beautifully. I'm re-reading GCBC in the light of my new knowledge of fructose and it's truly an eye opener

More research is needed of course, but it's pretty conclusive so far.

Patrick
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 08:54

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

So far, my semi LC plan has just been to eliminate grains and dairy. I'm waiting to see how successful this is before I eliminate more. I guess I'm getting approximately 120 g of carbs a day.