Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 08:44

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up "Corn Chips"!!!!

I just found these a couple days ago, and I really like them. (actually, I've used them forever, but not in this non-traditional way) If you have a health food store, look for the large size pieces of textured vegetable protein. If you can get them from a bulk container, they are VERY inexpensive!!

WARNING: Some companies 'fortify' their TVP, and the fortification seems to be all carbohydrates. I have only seen this on the tiny pieces, but check your labels on the big ones before you buy.

First, a quick little info piece. Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is a soy product that is dehydrated. Proper use consists of reconstituting it with broth or water, but we're not doing that here. It is very low carbohydrate (1 per half cup) and high in protein.

The large pieces of TVP are about the size of a dime, sometimes even a little smaller. I would be thrilled if they were bigger, but they're not. Still, in their dry form, they make perfect little dippers for cheese based dips. They are very crunchy, with little taste of their own. The texture is 'different', but I adjusted to that fairly quickly.

I eat them plain, or dip them into cream cheese that is flavored w/marinated artichoke hearts and garlic (yum!). I don't know how they'd fare with salsa - I think they'd start to soften right away - but if you combined salsa and cream cheese, that would probably work fine. I bet they'd be good w/warmed nacho cheese too. . .

For a sweet snack, I lightly toasted some in butter, then tossed them with pumpkin pie spice and a little splenda. It's almost like eating dry cereal!! You have to let them cool all the way though, or they're not crunchy.

Seasoned ones might be good mixed in with nuts, for a sort of trail mix. They would 'lighten' the carb load and increase the protein at the same time. I hope someone here likes these little nuggets as much as I do. To me, they're the perfect little protein corn chip!!

-Catinhat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 220/200/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Catinhat

I went to my local Health food store... they do not have this product on the shelf. However the owner said he could order some in....(he had the names of several brands but no carbo information) Could you tell me the name brand of those you use. That may save some $ on me ordering 20 times to get right carbo count!!!! Thank you!!
I am a Potatoe Chip freak!!!
Back in the day I could tell you if a chip was name brand, generic ...Old ..Fresh . You name it.... So I know I would enjoy the texture....Just for something different .... Thanks again!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:55

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I will see if I can figure out which company makes these. I bought them from a bulk bin, so I'll check and see if they have any brand labeling on the bin, OK?

-Catinhat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 220/200/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Catinhat

Don't go to any extra trouble on the count of me.... just when you go the next time ....take a glance!!! Thank You !

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 13:52

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Chips...

I found that fried extra firm tofu works really well as chips...I usually use it to make mini pizza crusts, but with seasoning or dip they are great if you're craving a chip crunch.

I've been wondering why this product doesn't exist on the market now

Good luck,
E
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb avoid sugar
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up hey erin...

Im pretty happy to have found your tofu 'chips' recipe. Makes me feel normal.

Just wanted to let you know.

Kellser
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

AWESOME. I just made these for the first time just now... deep fried extra-firm tofu. Sprinkled with a little Goya Adobo and I SWEAR it tastes just like Fritos. Woo-hoo!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 22:21
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 195/187/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 27%

fried tofu chips, huh? I think I might try it!