Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/268/170
BF:48
Progress: 0%
Question How probiotics affect diabetics

I am a type II diabetic with major yeast problems, no doubt long term. I also have Hepatitis C which precludes use of any anti fungal meds. I am following the yeast diet to the letter as well as Dr. Bernstein's diabetes diet. I'm taking a colon cleanser that has psyllium and bentonite and an anti fungal/parasite supplement. I understood that it was necessary to use a colon cleanser, anti fungus herbs and a probiotic to treat yeast overgrowth. But everytime I try to add a probiotic to the mix, my blood sugar levels go sky high.

A health advisor at my local health food store said other diabetics have noticed this. Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Can anyone advise another substitute for acidophilus that won't aggravate blood sugars? Or can I skip it all togethe and still expect results?

The die off symptoms are pretty severe, esp. bloating which I wanted to treat with probiotics. Is there another alternative?

I'd appreciate any advice. tu Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 12:58
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Don't know, but maybe it's the FOS in the pro-B that's spiking your blood sugar. It's a carb base used to feed the lactobacilus. Are there any pro-b's that don't include FOS? Something to check into. Good Luck!!

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: mostly Atkins
Stats: 152/132/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Can you eat live culture yogart or keffir without spiking your blood sugar? Both of those should be able to provide you with the live bacteria you need to replenish your system.

Also, I don't think that they really help with the symptoms of die off but rather will reclaim the space in your gut that was overwhelmed by the yeast and keep it from growing back.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:30

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 122/118/114
BF:28
Progress: 50%

WOW. Really!

I cannot imagine little probiotic caps can raise your BS that much. I mean the carb count on these things must be really low. I wonder what the culprit is...

Which probiotic supplement are you taking?

tmo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/268/170
BF:48
Progress: 0%

m1whowaits, Promenea, and tmo:

I'm not sure what you mean by FOS, but the ingredients in my Vitamin World Acidophilus are: beeswax/soybean oil mixture, gelatin, glycerin, lecithin, titanium dioxide color (guaranteed free of east, gluten, sugar, etc.), plus lactobacillus acidophilus 10 mg.

The yogurts are higher in carbs (17-25 gm in 3 oz serving) and I'm trying to keep my carbs to 25-30 per day to keep blood sugars down as low as possible to avoid using insulin. I might be able to eat a tablespoon or so, but 3 oz would be about all I could eat all day of anything. The idea is great, but I don't think it would be practical for me.

I didn't know the pro-b's wouldn't help with the bloating. So do I really even need the pro-b's now? I'm trying to figure out how to do a 4-day revolution diet to identify food allergies and intolerances but my brain is so foggy and eyes are so blurry that I have been unable to concentrate long enough to map it out. Does anyone have a template or other tool that might help detailing the diet?

Thanks for the input. Good luck to all.

susan
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 13:50
Plemorphist

You need an antifungal to kill the yeast. You may need to work with your doctor to figure out what will work for you. Have you tried grapefruit seed extract? I've used it and it works. The Pro-B's are to rebuild the bacteria population that is lacking or missing so your intestines will regain their natural balance. Are there any naturpaths in your area you could work with, they are more in tune with homeopathic aspect of health care than traditional doctors are. And another thought. It could be a good sign, the symptoms, because you get them also when the yeast are dying off. You'll have good days and bad until their population is more deminished.

Hang in there!!! Liz
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 14:25

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 122/118/114
BF:28
Progress: 50%

I don't have any good advice at this point, but can you give us some more information? How do you think you got the yeast overgrowth? Antibiotics? Are you on birth control pills? Did you change the brand of it recently? What symptoms of yeast overgrowth are you having? When did the bloating start? (After starting on all these supplements? Fiber supplment will definitely make you get bloated especially initially.)

It is interesting that your BS goes "sky high" after taking probiotics. What are the number differences? How many points does it go up after taking probiotics? Is it possible that the food you ate raise the BS or you are pretty sure it was the probiotics? I am thinking it's possible that people who are glycerin sensitive might experience some BS increase with it (since your probiotic has glycerin in it), but I cannot imagine it going sky high. Even if you ate a glucose tablet, it only goes up so many points (I don't have my Berinstein book with me), but not that much.

tmo
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 07:11
Registered Member

BF:

Yogarts is supposed to be fairly safe for blood sugar because the lactose has been digested. Many people do fine with it on a lc diet as well and only count part of the carbs (assuming you don't eat the fruit or sugar added stuff) Have you actually checked your blood sugar after eating some plain yogart or keffir?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 07:39
Plemorphist

I've read here, that homemade yogurt is better because commercial yogurt is only cultured something like 4 days and that's no long enough for good bacterial growth and sugar digestion. So commercial would have a bigger impact on BS than homemade. Also making your own, you know whats in it .

Just thought I'd pass that on. Have a great day!!

Liz
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 06:35
Registered Member

BF:

Good point M1. Also if you buy yogart, look for plain, whole milk with live culture (not killed). If you let it go for longer it will digest more of the lactose. No point in eating it if it isn't live culture anyway. Personally I think keffir is a better choice.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 07:14
Plemorphist

Quote:
Personally I think keffir is a better choice.

What is that?

Liz
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry, I misspelled it kefir
Here is a histroy of it

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#what's-kefir

It tastes a lot like yogart but is more liquid and you can drink it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 09:14

Plan: Primal Atkins
Stats: 201/197/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:

Old post, I noticed. But it's something that had me thinking. I also noticed that without having eaten anything, I took a probiotic, and my bs went sky high.

Something else that has great probiotic in it is sauwerkraut (sour cabbage), it's also really LC (if i remember correctly about 4-5 gC per cup). And it's easy to make yourself. And if I remember correctly I think those 4-5 carbs were also not pure sugar either.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/Ketogenic
Stats: 215/138/135 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 96%

Dawn, I second sauerkraut, if anyone else is in this situation. Also check out Natasha Campbell McBride's "GAPS" diet for healing the gut.