Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Post 'The Glucose Revolution'

Hi,

Has anyone read 'The Glucose Revolution' by various Dr's!

I was given it by my sister-in-laws father, who is a retired GP. She told him I was on a LC diet and he expressed concern and gave her this book for me to read.

I only leafed through it briefly but that was enough! It just goes totally against the LC principles and really advocated the low fat, high carb (although in their favour- good carb) foods.

It's just so wild that there are so many schools of thought on the subject and some so totally contrary to each other. If I wasn't a LC fan and convert, I would have serious concerns about LC diets.

Any comments or thoughts out there. Unfortunately I was so put off by the info in the book that I have not read much further.

Banana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 00:06

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Open Mind

I haven't read "The Glucose Revolution". From your description of it all I would do even if it was given to me would be to flick quickly through it - just like you did.

It is important to have an open mind to the extent that I am at least able to give a little consideration to an idea that is new or different from my own. At the same time I need to be very careful not to be pulled into the "mass consciousness" even though I know (deep down) that it is not good for me. My brother was ready to give Atkins a go - now he believes I am doing something "dangerous". It is this Support Forum that helps me to stay on track.

That is how I regard the Low-Fat Revolution. Have you seen any of the "Rogue Traders" programmes on TV recently. They count on their ability to "persuade" people to do what THEY want - usually the only one who benefits is the Trader.

Still I leave you to decide for yourself.
Take Care.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 14:24

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

Thanks Fiona. I know after just reading Atkins and Eat Fat Get Thin - Groves, that what they say makes sense. I'm still waiting for PP and Schwarzbein books which I've ordered from my library, as I'm interested in what they have to say about LCing. I'm just amazed at how the media and general joe bloggs have been taken in by this low fat/chlolesterol/heart disease stuff without significant findings to prove the theories.

It's like a blanket blindness, but surely the tide must turn as more and more statistics come out to disprove it, or maybe not, maybe it's such big business that any findings are squashed and kept quiet in favour of promoting the low fat gear and all the sports crazy stuff.

Anyway, all I can do is tell my friends and family what I have read, and that certainly seems to be opening their eyes and a few of my friends and family are now starting to look at reducing their carb intake.

We'll see what the future brings.

Bye
Banana