Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#916   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 19:27

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Janet, thank you for posting this link. I had some reservations about fasting as Dr FUng himself proclaimed he only cares about weight loss. Stating that an obese body has plenty of nutirents. Opposite to this, Dr Atkin's view that the obese are low on stored nutrients, plenty of stored fat energy yes, but low on vitamins and minerals due to the deficient SAD diet, Dr Atkins recommends taking a daily vitamin. My concern is the one dimensional issue of weight loss expressed by Dr Fung. And not a broader concern for health. This leaves me with the impression Dr fung is tunneled vision and maybe doesnt see other issues. ( DOnt get me wrong--Dr FUng is VERY inspiring,)

Dr Phinneys lecture helped me find middle ground. Im happy to try eating only one meal a day in hopes of eating enough good vegies and fruit and clean meats then 23 hours of fasting.

Fasting longer than 23 hours is probably not for me....cooking and eating is a joy.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Atkins, but he was a bit neurotic about the supplements.
Sponsored Links
  #917   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 20:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/232/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Billy, respectfully, I have used a number of targetted supplements and changed the quality of my life. Regarding Dr Atkins specifically, A number of supplements Atkin suggested in DANDR I have seen other sources recommend as well for the same problem.

Dr Daniel AMen who wrote HEALING ADD, and many other books, also reaches for supplements first. NOT pharmasutical drugs first. He has been spot on for me, and my son.

Docs dismiss my comments during appointments, dismissing this, so I understand many do not see the value in targetted supplements.
  #918   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 03:27

Plan: ketosis/IF
Stats: 190/157.2/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Teaser, I've been monitoring both blood and urine ketones, same time daily. They are in sync, showing basically the same levels. I wonder if the meter and the expensive strips are worth it, but everybody has to choose. Just wanted to share my n=1.

I've also been logging my macros and trying to eat more food. I realize I have to be patient because I've been eating so little for such a long time.

Good luck with your own experiment.

Thanks.

On my current almost zero carb plan (at least no plants except coffee and a little spice) the urine strips have been deep purple every time and every day that I've checked. This with slightly higher protein--84 grams as an upper limit where it was 70 before. So no concern about whether I'm in ketosis, just no idea how far.

Targeting deeper ketosis, and eating only meat and heavy cream/butter, I'm a little more concerned about supplements, when I'm getting my spinach etc. I mostly just make sure to get in my half-salt and try to remember my vitamin d. I'm not out to prove that a ketogenic diet is complete nutrition in and of itself, I might think it is, but a multivitamin, a bit of magnesium etc. is pretty cheap insurance. Like any other insurance, mostly you hope you don't need it.
  #919   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 04:08

Plan: VLC Pastoral
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Gerber has posted Dr Phinney's talk AGAINST extended fasting given at Breckenridge, with his Slides, if anyone missed it last March.

https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-st...wo-edged-sword/

There is also a link to ALL the Breckenridge talks. Dr Bikman's is very good about protein...which with all the back and forth about lean muscle loss on extended fasting, brings me back to some version of a PSMF.

Janet, thank you very much for this link to Dr. Phinney's talk. The lowered metabolic rate, the mineral losses, dangers in re-feeding, all quite excellent food for thought.
  #920   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 06:16

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/160/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 55%

It is particularly interesting that adipose tissue doesn't seem to affect these things very much. That is a little counterintuitive.

I wonder what the data is like for the sort of programme they run in some clinics where you eat 250 cals a day in the form of soup or something like that. Those sort of programmes normally last a week at most. I have an acquaintance who does that once or twice a year in beautiful place. He says it does him a lot of good mentally as well as physically. Not financially though. LOL.

I am not advocating any such thing, I'm just curious. I did a water fast on my own for a few days once in my twenties. I don't remember it being very hard and I felt fine but of course it may have had an impact on my metabolism. Who knows? Anyway I wouldn't try it now.
  #921   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 06:19

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3...eature=youtu.be

Good Megan Ramos talk at low carb down under.
I enjoyed that talk. I'd like to take my wife to Canada and be treated by Dr. Fung for her type 2 diabetes. Here's an interesting slide on being high risk for refeeding problems:

https://i.imgur.com/ga9Mrxy.png?1
  #922   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 07:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/232/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Great idea!!