Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 06:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Australian paper hits sugar hard

Quit Sugar and Booze, Lose Weight.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/...228-h0b767.html

Note from Pete Buckner copied from Sugarbriety page:

Quote:
Happy New Year to all my friends Down Under!

Here's some mighty good news from the desk of Peter Brukner: "Thought you might be interested in this……. Fairfax Media, the proprietors of Australia’s two leading newspapers The Melbourne Age and The Sydney Morning Herald have commenced a campaign to tackle over-consumption of sugar.

In Sunday’s edition, they featured an article from prominent columnist Peter FitzSimons http://www.theage.com.au/…/peter-fi...atty-boomka-qu…

accompanied by this editorial http://www.theage.com.au/…/a-new-ye...tion-that-coul…

And today this feature on sugar and the brain http://www.theage.com.au/…/2…/what-...-to-your-brain/

Accompanied by this editorial calling for a sugar tax http://www.theage.com.au/…/we-tax-a...ies-and-cigare…

If you are interested in emailing the editors to congratulate them and show your support, their details are: Alex Lavelle, Editor, The Age, alavelle~fairfaxmedia.com.au Lisa Davies, Editor, Sydney Morning Herald ldavies~fairfaxmedia.com.au Lisa is out of the office until next week, but still worth emailing her."

Peter Peter Brukner OAM, MBBS, FACSP Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician Professor of Sports Medicine, La Trobe University Visiting Professor, LKC School of Medicine, NTU, Singapore Convenor, SugarByHalf
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 09:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good article, Janet. Thanks for the link. Got a chuckle out of some of the comments, as people get very protective of their addictive food sources! I'm encouraged to see an Australian news source carrying these messages, as the health authorities in that country seem to be living in the dark ages in terms of their punishments for people who fall out of line in recommending deviations from the standard health message. Hope they don't cancel Fitz's license to practice journalism . . . .

Fixed some of the links embedded in the quote in your post. Good stuff!

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...230-h0bope.html

http://www.theage.com.au/interactiv...-to-your-brain/

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...229-h0bd04.html
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 10:07

Thanks for fixing the links, Rob!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 20:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Peter Fitzsimons looks so skinny now!
It's just so great to have a journo as prominent as he on our side in this battle, and I am so pleased to see he has kept the weight off, because I don't always read his columns.
A wonderful ambassador in the fight against sugar!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 04:44

I don't know Peter Fitzsimmons, and his style of writing a bit rude for a major paper. but I enjoyed his bluntness...might send it on to a few friends.
I have tons of respect for Peter Bruckner so glad to know you agree that these articles might make a difference...hope there will be more in those papers.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-03-18 at 04:56.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 10:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

One of the amazing things about Gary Taube's sugar book was how many authorities, over so many centuries, basically saying, "But I love sugar so much!"
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 18:34

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I don't know Peter Fitzsimmons, and his style of writing a bit rude for a major paper. but I enjoyed his bluntness...might send it on to a few friends.

He's a former rugby player for Australia turned media personality/raconteur. I actually remember his weight loss story from a year or two ago, so this year it seems to be as much about the fact that he's successfully kept it off for a while now as well.

His delivery style is very much that of the stereotypical Aussie bloke I agree, but I'd say that's a good thing as far as addressing his contemporaries is concerned; after all, he has a lot of contemporaries. He reminds me of another former rugby player we have in New Zealand, Wayne "Buck" Shelford, who also co-wrote a men's health book with Grant Schofield back in 2012.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 09:12
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

The author looks like me, even wears what I wear ... Oh crikey!

I agree too much wine will stall you in no time.

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Jan-09-18 at 09:22.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 04:09

Crikey
If you have read Maria Emmerich's books, she (sadly) is against any alcohol, especially if trying to lose weight. Her husband's new book, Keto., came out yesterday. Heard in a podcast about it with Brian Williamson, this book will also have a section on "oxidative hierarchy" ... since alcohol is toxic if it builds up, the body quickly mobilizes to get rid of it. Stops other energy sources from being used. There was more he said, I don’t have the book yet from library, but sounded good if trying to convince someone to give up wine while losing weight and for health. Too many of the Keto plans skim over this "macro" and this guy is a straight shooter about how wine "fits into a well-formulated Ketogenic Diet"
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 04:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
One of the amazing things about Gary Taube's sugar book was how many authorities, over so many centuries, basically saying, "But I love sugar so much!"

That's pretty much what most people say when trying to give something up. I love my ... I can't give it up. People either don't believe that the substance or activity, whatever it is, is that dangerous or they are willing to substitute short term pleasure for long term benefits or they believe that they are simply powerless to change their habits. None of these things need be true if you are determined, difficult perhaps, but not inevitably true. We see it here on the forum all the time. I am this kind of person so therefore I can't...You might be this kind of person right now but things can change, people can change. I used to be very shy. Now I exchange pleasantries with clerks in stores and engage in pleasant conversations with strangers I meet on my walks. All sorts of behaviors, even those things that seemed like permanent parts of one's identity, are capable of being changed but not if you hold onto them as if your life depended on it. It may be that your life depends on changing them not holding onto them. I didn't simply stop being shy one day. I made an effort to put myself out there, engage with people, take on public roles that required public speaking and slowly it spread to just generally trying to be kind to others and not avoid contact with people. Similarly it took effort to change my eatiang habits but I did because I was aware of the long term benefits. I was determined . It seemed worth doing and it continue to be.

Jean