Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 12:40
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Is striving for perfection a burden?

I read this on another forum and thought he made some good points:

Quote:
I've had Type 1 diabetes for 25 years. I read Dr. Bernsteins book about 10 years ago and followed his recommendation of an extremely low carb diet for about 5 years. Yeah, it works and my A1C's were between 4.5 and 6. But at what cost? It is very difficult to live that diet every day for the rest of your life. His extreme views expect patients to be perfect. Diabetes is more than a disease of controlling blood sugars. Real people sometimes fail at eating perfectly and his whole "diabetes solution" puts you on a roller-coaster of emotional ups and downs. If you experience a high blood sugar you want to beat yourself up and can lead to one of the more serious complications of diabetes that no one seems to want to admit; depression. Anyone struggling to live the perfect diabetic life that you've been told is the only way, I recommend a different book called "Diabetes Burnout" by William Polonsky, PhD. That is a book that realizes you are a person made up of more than just the need to keep perfect blood sugars. Doctors need to look at the WHOLE person and the way their expectations effect their patients lives.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

We all have choices to make. Seems like he has made his... no biggie and I respect his right... (in the back of my mind I keep thinking ...tupid) but many people make decisions not in the best interest of their well-being.

/smile
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 13:33

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

I read that Diabetes Burnout book and was NOT impressed. It was the usual ADA blather and the scary part is that the "perfection" that book is telling you not to worry about is the ADA 7% A1c.

There are a couple areas of life where striving for perfection makes sense. Driving for example. I have this crazy need not to crash into garbage trucks and pedestrians. It means not going anywhere near as fast as I'd like to and stopping at stupid stop signs. But I do it.

With diabetes, I think it is very important to figure out what is the equivalent of NOT running over a pedestrian. That's what the Blood Sugar 101 research was about, and the numbers I came up with for safety are higher than Bernstein but a lot lower than the ADA's suggestions.

It's possible to hit safe targets with occasional days off and I feel that creating safety valves for diet is extremely important. That's why my A1c is 5.7% instead of 4.7%, but it sure as heck isn't the 7.5% that the ADA would tell me is fine.

I guess for me it boils down to my thinking that passing up the pastry is a lot better than having pain in my feet all the time, or failing kidneys, or having that heart attack before I see my grandkids. Yeah, some people are lucky and run high blood sugars and still do okay. But some people run stop signs and speed and do okay too. For a while . . .
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 14:10
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I got the impression he wasn't talking about lax, but the ideal of the 4.5 A1c was too hard. It *is* a lot harder to hit targets for a type 1. Bernstein seems formidable and never talks about screwing up. We all screw up. In some ways, Bernstein tells us that we absolutely cannot screw up. I think the guy in question took that to heart and that is a mistake. He was saying to himself that he couldn't be that perfect, so what is the point?

When I'm doing deep extended range dives, I absolutely cannot screw up and that's a lot of pressure, but it is only for short periods of time. And you're also never alone and you have backup in case something happens. When the penalty for screwing up is instant death, you find ways not to.

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Tue, Jul-01-08 at 14:27.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 14:27

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Mature adults take in information, weigh risk/benefits, and adopt goals that suit them. It does help if you look and your wins and losses on diet control as an important game, rather than reacting with emotional ups and downs.

"absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own", Bruce Lee
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 14:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I got the impression he wasn't talking about lax, but the ideal of the 4.5 A1c was too hard. It *is* a lot harder to hit targets for a type 1. Bernstein seems formidable and never talks about screwing up. We all screw up. In some ways, Bernstein tells us that we absolutely cannot screw up. I think the guy in question took that to heart and that is a mistake. He was saying to himself that he couldn't be that perfect, so what is the point?

When I'm doing deep extended range dives, I absolutely cannot screw up and that's a lot of pressure, but it is only for short periods of time. And you're also never alone and you have backup in case something happens. When the penalty for screwing up is instant death, you find ways not to.
From what I read, Bernstein has NEVER screwed up.... that is all I have to say on the matter. GD engineers....................

/smile

P.S. actually I find it sad that people are not perfect like me........... well except for the spellig errors - which are really patented new words by me...

Last edited by Korban : Tue, Jul-01-08 at 14:50.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 15:36
Dazed and Confused

BF:

The closer I get to 4.5 the more miserable I become as I feel I'm always teetering on the edge of hypoglycemia, popping glucose tabs. My last A1c was 4.9 and I was almost ready to punt Bernstein's methods. I have unexplained blips, some hormonal and some from exercise. I don't do exactly the same amount of exercise each day or necessarily the same kind. Today I probably overcompensated for exercise and I popped up to 191. All those little things get very annoying if you let them. I think Jenny's target is more realistic.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 15:43
Registered Member

BF:

As one of those perfect individuals, it is very hard for me to be objective on this subject......./smile
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 15:51
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Eating the same thing every day helps, doesn't it Korban?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 16:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Eating the same thing every day helps, doesn't it Korban?
Yeah, but it does get kinda boring.... even if you are perfect...

/smile
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 19:35

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"GD engineers"
Right,Korban.
Oops.I'm GD'ing myself.That job is reserved for my wife.
About A1C:5.5 or so seems good to me.
I guess we all have to set our own goals in life-hopefully after
we have enough information to make intelligent decisions.
Maybe decisions don't really have to be intelligent.
I am rambling.
Hmm....
Eddie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 19:50
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I set an A1c goal for myself years ago in the mid 5s and have been able to reach that comfortably. 4.5 is very difficult and I found myself becoming frustrated, and I'm a person who usually enjoys challenges.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 20:21
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I set an A1c goal for myself years ago in the mid 5s and have been able to reach that comfortably. 4.5 is very difficult and I found myself becoming frustrated, and I'm a person who usually enjoys challenges.
I think that Bernstein's number is 4.2-4.6 or something similar: don't see how he does it. Therefore, my goal is 3.6...

hard to get hypo enough,
/smile
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 20:31
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
I think that Bernstein's number is 4.2-4.6 or something similar: don't see how he does it. Therefore, my goal is 3.6...

hard to get hypo enough,
/smile

Just eat a bunch of carbs and take a wild-ass guess about how much Novolog you need to bolus....I think that would be the perfect solution.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 20:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Just eat a bunch of carbs and take a wild-ass guess about how much Novolog you need to bolus....I think that would be the perfect solution.
Done! trying for 40 mg/dl now...

P.S. I hope any newbie reading this board for the first time realizes I am kidding...

Last edited by Korban : Tue, Jul-01-08 at 20:39.