Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 13:32

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Anyone try Glucotor from Baseline Nutritionals?

http://www.newstarget.com/019405.html

Take 2 tablets 10 minutes before eating.

Quote:
The 52% average drop in blood sugar numbers is comparable to that experienced when using the prescription drug, metformin -- approximately double that seen with other "all natural" alternatives.

Quote:
The Formula at a Glance
For those of you that are not familiar with the Glucotor v.2, here are the ingredients:
Nopal cactus
Konjac mannan
Gymnema sylvestre
High galactomannan fenugreek extract (galactomannan content of 60-80%)
1% Corisolic Acid from Banaba Leaf
Bitter Melon (Momordica Charantia)
Cinnulin

I think we've all heard of these ingredients individually to improve blood sugar levels. Seems like a convenient combination in one pill. The average 54.48 point improvement seen in the study is pretty impressive.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 17:57

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJoyce
I think we've all heard of these ingredients individually to improve blood sugar levels. Seems like a convenient combination in one pill.

WOW, I take more then half of the ingrdients included in Glucotor in single daily doses so it sounds like a great product to give a try.

And its benefical in helping blood sugar, cholesterol and heart disease.

Thanks AuntJoyce for the link!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 06:08

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default herbal aids for lowering glucose

I have tried several products like this.
The most recent one was Glucobetic.
None of them have been worthwhile.
I currently use Alpha Lipoic Acid and
Chromium Picolinate.They seem to help
a bit.I havn't gone on prescripion drug yet.
My doctor wants me to try Avandia.
My fasting glucose level is normally about 110.
Early morning glucose is high:120-140.
A medium carb breakfast brings it down in a few
hours.And so it goes...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 14:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/203/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default glucotor

I just got mine today. I will report what I find
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 11:58

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 370/360/220 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Any news on Glucotor

Interested in any success with Glucotor vs 2 - never saw a response from this thread.

Have purchased it yesterday, as many diabetic books suggest these supplements.

Have a morning BS of 210 and wanted to try the natural approach before meds. Am already on chromium and seeing no assistance.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for any response!

Elegiamore
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 22:28

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"never saw a response from this thread."
Probably means it doesn't work.Pills with
several ingredients typically don't have enough
quantity of the various ingredients to be of any
benefit unless you take quite a few of them
per day.
Oh, well.....
Eddie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 10:07

BF:

I haven't found any magic pills. The only things that work for me are:

1) eat less carbohydrate
2) eat less food -- not too much protein
3) eat less often -- no snacks, skip a meal or two sometimes
4) exercise
5) supplements optional: I take Insulow (recommended by Dr. Bernstein), fish oil and some others, but I don't take any herbal supplements.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 20:17

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up

I just read an entire report on Glucotor.

It does work for many people according to the report.

I am very interested in seeing if a natual non-prescription approach might work.

There are many benefits according to the Health Sciences Institute that I now subscribe to.

So, I will give it a try.

The main thing I did over the last few days is stop meds completely. Diet is definitely the main contributing factor to lowering bg levels.

I try to follow Bernstein 6-12-12 for a 30gm carb day. I generally end up near 30 but most often between 30-60.

My levels without meds now range from 95-125 at the two hour point after eating. My DP is coming down as well but it ranges between 100-120 when I am well behaved the day before.

I have dropped 25 pounds since the beginning of the year and I have another 60 pounds or so to go to get to a reasonable weight of 210 for my large frame 6 foot body.

So we will see.

I had been taking Metformin XR 500mg in the AM and 1000mg in the PM along with Januvia 100mg.

It is not clear what drug is doing anything for me. That is why I decided to baseline and find out what happens to my BG levels on no meds but follow a decent low carb eating plan.

Ralph
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 23:52

BF:

Way to tackle this thing, Ralph. Are you also measuring your protein? I guess if you are losing weight, then you are probably eating the right amount.

I find myself having to go back to weighing everything or else there is carb creep. Plus I probably don't count what I taste while preparing a meal.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 06:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJoyce
Way to tackle this thing, Ralph. Are you also measuring your protein? I guess if you are losing weight, then you are probably eating the right amount.

I find myself having to go back to weighing everything or else there is carb creep. Plus I probably don't count what I taste while preparing a meal.

I have a good eye being a WW all my life, but when I do get "out of control" I bring out the scale.

I know I am eating less so I haven't worried about measuring my protein too closely.

Generally I have 2-3 eggs in the morning,4 ounces of meat at lunch and 4 ounces of meat at dinner.

Lets see that is 68 gms. Sometimes the dinner meal goes up a bit. But I am certainly around 90 -100 gms right now.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 06:47

BF:
Thumbs up

Oh, I just ordered some glucotor from Baseline Nutritional.

We will see.

#12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 17:17

Stats: 225/203/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default I tried Glucotor

I did not see any difference after trying the pills. As another post said, there is not enough in two pills to do any good, and I do not want to take more than that. Further, those reports you see are from "Baseline Nutritionals" and they want to sell their product.... at a glorious price I might add.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 05:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhall
I did not see any difference after trying the pills. As another post said, there is not enough in two pills to do any good, and I do not want to take more than that. Further, those reports you see are from "Baseline Nutritionals" and they want to sell their product.... at a glorious price I might add.

Thank you for your input and comment.

Did you take two pills per meal?

I am comparing the dosages to what Cajunboy says he takes and is successful.

I am open to all thoughts and concerns. I have also noted that for many people different Rx's, regimens work or don't work.

I don't believe the Rx's are doing much for me if anything. I have been off meds now for over a week and simply following a good diet and my BG is between 95-125.

I am hoping that meds and/or a vitamin/mineral regimen will help get my averages lower as I lose weight.

Thanks
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 12:05

Stats: 165/148/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I actually did try Glucotor and at first I was not taking it correctly. I was taking right with food instead of 10 minutes before which I found out later stops it from doing its magic: blocking sugar receptors. Anyway, my blood sugar was at 110 before and the doctor said I was pre-diabetic. So, I started taking Glucotor hoping it would help and within months, on my second test with the doctor, my blood glucose levels were at 83! The doctor asked what I was doing but nothing really changed, except this product. He had never heard of it before and told me to watch my liver, but I did some research and found that the ingredients in Glucotor actually support the liver. So, I told my doctor I would continue to take this to keep my blood glucose levels down.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-09, 19:11

Plan: Perricone weight loss
Stats: 247/208/170 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress:
Default I use Glucator ...

I have taken glucotor for about 15 months, along with quite a variety of other products and food changes. I was able to reduce my Ha1c levels from 9.3 to 6 in three months have since maintained a level of 5.7 for 6 months. I am not on any diabetic drugs. I follow most of the recommendations in Michael Murray's books call How to Prevent and Treat Diabetes with Natural Medicine, and Perricone's anti inflammation diet / supplements as outline in his books, including his weight loss book. Jon Baron maker of Glucotor states that it is worthwhile trying many different approaches all and once, each one helping somewhat. I think he is correct. Somethings I have done that I think help: quite coffee, consume green tea; chamomile tea ( I grind 1 teaspoon green tea leaves, chamomile flowers with 3 teaspoons of sesame seeds, then eat the mixture); eat many soluble fiber sources ( blueberries. prickly pear cactus pads ( fresh ), buckwheat. Raw buckwheat seems more anti-diabetic, eaten in smoothies or as gruel. I grind up many of my supplements in my smoothies, along with the soluble fiver sources. I gulp down thin past of turmeric and fenugreek powder ( 1 tablespoon each ) chased by a table spoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar (diluted with water ). This will lower my blood sugar about 30 points in 1.5 hours. I try to limit my carbohydrate consumption to 30 grams or less in any two hour interval, coupled with 15 grams of protein. I am more concerned about control my diabetic tendencies than weight loss at this time. I am doing what I can to overcome insulin resistance. I am somewhat active, when I am good I treadmill ( inclined ) about 300 calories worth. I notice when I am attentive with all my approaches, I can have morning fasting levels between 91 and 98. When I drop the ball, my fasting rises to 135, but has not climbed to 175 where I was when my diabetes was discovered. If you expect one product to solve all your problems, you will probably be disappointed.
Closed Thread