Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 21:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/230/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Stress? Does that make you stall?

My husband and I were talking this weekend and he was triing to figure out why the pounds were not melting off of me...and those were his words. Since we eat low carb and do very well at it.

I will say in the past I have done some yo yo weight gain/loss and I think that has some effect....but I am also curious, have you found that when you have stress, and it does not have to be huge stress but a certain stress in your life, do you find that you lose weight more slowly or even stall?

I have just seen this weekend that the scale did not go up, but actually stayed level, even though it was that TOM, and normally I would put on 3-5 lbs during that time...but not this weekend...so I am wondering if it will begin falling soon. I have a certain stressor in my life that is going away, and I think that maybe it might have been my mysterious reason for not losing. (my house is finally selling, so I do not have to worry about paying that mortgage any longer)

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 07:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I believe that stress has a ton to do with it! I also think if you only think about losing weight, you lose slower. I stopped stressing and have now noticed a huge difference!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 07:58
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

YES YES YES!

I've been stressing so much about what to eat, what not to eat, how many carbs, etc......

I've decided that I will maintain for now until I find my mojo again.

I'm tired and my body has been through alot in 1 yr.

I lost 110 in 7 months, then gained a bit to lose it again. It's enough to put my body into shock.

My skin is finally catching up from the rapid loss and it's not just emotional, and physically straining but mentally too.

Ciao!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 12:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

You bet stress is a staller!

When you're stressed, your body releases certain "stress hormones" .. cortisol especially, along with adrenaline and others. Together they evoke the "fight or flight" reaction in response to a perceived danger or emergency.

Adrenaline raises blood pressure and heart rate, while cortisol triggers a rise in blood sugar (and consequently insulin) and triglycerides. These are good things to have happen if you're running around in a loincloth in the jungle and you happen to come face to face with a ferocious tiger You need the increased blood flow and increased fuel in order to high-tail it out of there pronto! Once you're safe however, you relax and go sleep under a tree. The stress hormone levels return to normal, and so do your body functions.

But, when stress is chronic and nagging with no real let up in sight, then cortisol and adrenaline levels stay elevated (although not quite as high as when you're facing a tiger ) So .. the extra sugar and triglyceride gets stored as fat, and the elevated blood pressure takes its toll on your arteries. etc etc. Cortisol also tends to make the kidneys retain sodium, which means increased fluid retention.

~~~~~~~~~~

From "The Cortisol Connection", by Shawn Talbott, PhD. ..
Quote:
Q. How is it that stress leads to obesity?

A. Stress increases our cortisol levels and elevated cortisol levels lead to obesity in several ways. First, cortisol is a potent signal to the brain to increase our appetites and cravings for certain foods – especially carbohydrates. Second, cortisol also acts as a signal to our fat cells to hold onto as much fat and release as little stored fat as they can. Next, cortisol blocks the effects of many hormones such as insulin (so blood sugar control suffers and carb-cravings go up), serotonin (so we get depressed and feel like eating more), and growth hormone (so we lose muscle and gain fat). All of these metabolic effects combine to cause our bodies to take in more calories (eat) and burn off fewer calories – so we gain weight – and we tend to gain it specifically around our bellies (which increases our risk for hypertension, diabetes and heart disease).

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 09:17

Stats: 260/230/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thank you for your responses.... and it must have been the stress of my house not selling that was causing my stall, because so far this week I have lost 5 pounds.

I had heard about the cortisol, but had not researched it, as I had seen it talked about on the commercials for diet pills. But that does make sense.

Thank you
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 22:29

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I wonder if there is anything that can be done besides sticking to plan. I am under alot of stress at the moment. Some of it will be gone the end of Dec...but not all of it...plus in June I start online college classes to finish my degree while also working full-time. Yikes I think I have bit off more than I can chew. I cannot control some of the stress. It is just there...What can I do to help????A ny ideas??