Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 11:04

Plan: my own.
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default 2 mile run = good; 5 days of calf burn = bad.

I don't consider myself to be out of shape by average standards, but I took a 2 mile run on Thursday and my calves are -still- on fire. I'm walking around like the tin-man.

I know the reason I have calf soreness is because I run on the balls of my feet, but... five days?! Really!? I want to get back out there. Any advice?

I have tried:
- NSAIDS
- Ice/Heat
- Massage
- BioFreeze

I stay pretty hydrated, FWIW.

Thanks!

NC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 20:08

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

OMG! LOL! I just did the same thing to myself.

I found massage to be the most helpful and then heat with lots of Advil sometimes alternating Tylenol. With the massage start light (I know it hurts to touch even gently) and then just gradually work up the pressure. I use my fists and knuckles to tolerance several times a day. The idea is to work through the top layers into the deeper muscle bellies.

Once you feel somewhat better, very gentle exercise like walking to help move all the metabolic byproducts out of the tissue will speed healing.

Man, it huuuuuuurts.I know. I could barely walk for 5 days. I have done this before--my body doesn't tell me at all when I'm overdoing it--and have learned I just have to wait it out.

And I'm not in bad shape either which makes it doubly sucky.

I'm hoping to do a run later this week if the weather permits.

F
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 20:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Did you wear new shoes? Sometimes different shoes can really make a difference.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 09:35

Plan: my own.
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the replies... I was beginning to wonder if maybe I'd torn something. I take a beating on a regular basis, but man, I've never had muscle cramps for five days. I'm reassured that it's not serious since you've done the same thing

I played softball last night (that was interesting), and by the time I was done I was in agony. Ironically today feels better than yesterday. I guess I just need to give it time.

jschwab: Yep, I wore new shoes. I actually bought those vibram five finger shoes. They encourage me to run how I want to run naturally (on the balls of my feet), but my calves just weren't ready for that I guess. I kind of expected some soreness the few days after the run, but five days just seemed excessive. I guess I can take comfort knowing that if I ease into it I'll get my killer calf muscles back
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 14:54

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"jschwab: Yep, I wore new shoes. I actually bought those vibram five finger shoes. They encourage me to run how I want to run naturally (on the balls of my feet), but my calves just weren't ready for that I guess. I kind of expected some soreness the few days after the run, but five days just seemed excessive. I guess I can take comfort knowing that if I ease into it I'll get my killer calf muscles back "

Hmmm, just as I suspected . I am an experienced barefoot runner and the most that is ever recommended for the first time out is 1/4-1/2 mile because you will burn your calves. It's unlikely you did any serious damage, but be careful and go slower/less mileage next time. You really need alot of time to adapt to VFF's. And don't force yourself to run on the balls of your feet. Just run and your heels will tell you when it's time to stop. In a few weeks, you will stop touching your heel down hard as a natural progression. There is a sticky on how to start running barefoot/minimalist at the Runner's World discussion forums, barefoot division. http://www.runnersworld.com/communi...arefoot-running

But keep at it - I started in January and by May I ran a ten mile race in water shoes (no cushioning at all similar to Vibram soles).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 19:51

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchomp
Thanks for the replies... I was beginning to wonder if maybe I'd torn something. I take a beating on a regular basis, but man, I've never had muscle cramps for five days. I'm reassured that it's not serious since you've done the same thing

I played softball last night (that was interesting), and by the time I was done I was in agony. Ironically today feels better than yesterday. I guess I just need to give it time.

jschwab: Yep, I wore new shoes. I actually bought those vibram five finger shoes. They encourage me to run how I want to run naturally (on the balls of my feet), but my calves just weren't ready for that I guess. I kind of expected some soreness the few days after the run, but five days just seemed excessive. I guess I can take comfort knowing that if I ease into it I'll get my killer calf muscles back

Also take some magnesium and potassium too in case your levels are low. Lots of water to help flush out the tissue and metabolic waste.

My workout was, old shoes, but I ran 400 stairs and then did a bunch of running intervals for a mile. Aerobically it was perfect, not hard at all. The next day my calves shut down. Bummer.

F
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 186/138/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I get this calf ache/burn all the time. I got a roller (looks like styrofoam) from a local sports medicine doc, I usually will roll out my hips and my entire legs after running. The roll out can be painful, but its definitely effective. I think you can also get one of these rollers from Target also. Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-10, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 186/138/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I also found this roller on runnersforum.com for 35.00 for the large - which is what I have and would recommend.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-10, 03:51

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

yeah Vibrams, no wonder! With soleless shoes your Achilles will get the maximum stretch, so after 2 miles you probably did 4,000 calf raises!
I run on the balls of my feet as well, but I use regular sneakers. Not knocking vibrams at all- but it will take time to work up to doing distance in them.