Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 19:02
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%
Question Jogging, how to REALLY start up?

I hate jogging, always have. Then again, I want to lose weight. I have learned to love conquering obstacles as i've been battling my weight for about 8, (only LC'ing for about a month). My point is, at this point, I can jog about a 1/4 mile without walking. The whole time I'm doing it's pretty torturous. Also, after I stop running it's hard for me to breathe kinda, and it burns a little. Right now all I'm trying to do is conquer the mile. Once I can jog a whole mile without stopping, I'll be very happy. Anyway, to my question, how should one start a jogging program? Does anyone know any good jogging specific websites? Any personal experiences? Any information would be very appreciated. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 21:22
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi sdge! I would love to start jogging too so I would love to know the answer to that.

Should I start running or start with walking? Do I run and walk?

red
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 23:12

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Im not an excepert and my english is not so good too but, Ill try to do my best here....

What I did is: I've started to walk 15 min, later added 30 min then 45 then 1 hour ...and always, always, always with music in my ears - best motivation.
When I felt good with my walking I add few jogging on the way, and slowly slowly add more and more , till I could jogge for 1 hour...now I can jog 10-15 miles - and again, only with good music - must have!!!!!
Always think that what you're doing is only for your own well been... to be healthy and younger - for me
NEVER think doing sport = losing weigt.
This never work for me. Ive alway gain and gain and gain weight... BUT the moment I did it for myself !!!- everything change, include my diet.
Anyway... that's how it is working for me!.... by sharing it with you I hope I help in some way...... keep on doing it for you only
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:14
Registered Member

Stats: 184/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi,

There are several great sights with excellant programs for beginners -- www.runnersworld.com, www.halhigdon.com, or www.jeffgalloway.com. Best of luck to you!

Jzruns
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:46

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Starting to Jog

Here are a few tips I would offer anyone interested in jogging.

1. Start easy.

Jogging is not running and running is not jogging they are two very different things. Depending on your fitness level I would recomend jogging just slightly faster than walking. Ease into it.

2. Listen to your body.

Everyone's body is different we all know that by now. Listen to yours as you start. If your body says slow down or walk pay attention. The more often you jog the longer you will be able to without walking.

3. Keep it fun.

Jog with a friend and keep a conversation going. Bring a walkman and enjoy some music. Try some trails and enjoy nature. Enjoy some inner peace and find your Zen.

4. Jog safe.

If you plan on jogging much you definatly need the proper shoe. This will prevent injury and you will be more comfortable. If you are out after dark wear feflective clothing! Try to stay out of the road!

5. Stretch.

enen a little jogging without stretching can lead to painful muscles and possible injury. I recomend stretching before and after jogging or running.