Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins Diet
Stats: 232/215/190 Male 71"
BF:50%/31%/20%
Progress: 40%
Smile Just started Atkins Plan

Hi!

I've just started the induction phase three days ago, after reading the Atkins Plan book. A friend of mine told about the Atkins Plan and said to read the book before starting. It is one of the few diet plans I have studied that makes sense.

Just a few questions. What is the average weight loss during the induction plan and what is considered a safe weight loss? Since I've started I've lost 3 pounds, is this a normal occurance?

I am a type 2 Diabetic and hope the Atkins Plan will help eliminate some of the medication I am currently taking. Up until three days ago, it seemed no matter how hard I adherred to the ADA meal plans, my blood sugar was always above 120, except when I didn't eat. My weight went from 205# to 232# in a matter of a few weeks after my doctor prescribed an additional diabetic pill. I take three different diabetic pills at this time. But since 3/6/03, my blood sugar has been 110 to 80. This has made me a believer in the Atkins Plan.

Any suggestions or advice will be welcomed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hello! I see you figured it out. I answered your question here (click) , in the other thread.

<b>Congratulations</b> on getting your blood sugar under control! I think the ADA diet is nuts. Look at the improvement you've seen already in just three days. Do keep in touch with your doctor - you might need to lower some of your meds!

Hope you soon see a vast improvement in your health! Cheers!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 14:41

Talking Thanks Kristine!

Hi Kristine,

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

Just out of curiosity, when you first started the low carb plan, did you have a headache and mild tremors? The second day of induction, I had a headache and my hands were a little shakey. Today, no headache and no shakes. Is that a result of clearing the over abundance of carbs and sugar out of my system?

What amazes me now, I haven't paid that much attention to being hungry or eating. I actually feel satisfied after eating. Before it seemed all I thought about was what I couldn't eat and how to get around the meal plan.

Thanks,
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 09:11

Thumbs up

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how to start a journal and gym log on this site. I have notice the journal and gym log icon on the bottom of some of the replies I have read. I haven't figured out how to make a journal or gym log.

Also, this is the start of my fourth day with out sugar or refined flour. I noticed this morning when I woke up I wasn't feeling tired but actually had some energy for a change. The other thing I have notice is my clothes, especially my trousers are feeling a bit looser in the legs and seat. I am begining to wonder if it's my imagination or actually happening after just three full days on the plan. Would enjoy hearing from others starting the induction phase.

Thanks!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 10:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/219/190
BF:
Progress: 43%

Michael, Congrats and choosing a new way of eating and new way of life. I too started atkins on 1 february and as of now I have lost a total of 22lbs. I lost 19 in the first 3 weeks and then nothing for atleast 3 more weeks... it takes your body time to realize what is going on with the initial weightloss before it will let you lose more. I too am constantly pulling my pants up... and the T-shirts that I used to have to grap and stretch out when I first put them on....LOL I don't have to do that either. You should start feeling a great deal of energy increase soon too.

Come back here regularly and read and post any questions...We are here for support and answers. Keep it up and don't get frustrated when the scale stops moving for a while...remember a stall isn't untill 6 weeks with no loss. It will swoosh right off soon.

Brian
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 11:51

Thumbs up

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the words of encouragment. I will remember what you said.

Did you have craving for sweets, espeically chocolates? From reading the book I get the impression that the cravings will past during the induction phase. What was your experience?

Thanks!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 17:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/219/190
BF:
Progress: 43%

Michael, I really didn't have any cravings for sweets... Just Bread... I did have a few nightmares about not being able to eat all of my favorite dishes ever again..LOL I quit smoking on the same day that I started LCing I think that has helped out on cravings even cigs. anyway. Welcome to the forum.

Brian
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Lightbulb Chocolate cravings

Atkin's makes wonderful chocolates with no sugar. Once you are out of induction look in your local health food store - or I have seen them in some drug stores, too. They have the Atkin's label and are called 'Atkin's Endulge' - they have peanut butter cups - much like Reese's and caramel nut chews as well as plain chocolate bars. And they are part of the Atkin's plan!

I have been doing Atkin's for ~ 6 weeks. I am very pleased with my results so far. I have lost 9 lbs - ~ 5 inches and my clothes are fitting so much better. I do not get hungry and I have had very few food cravings. A friend clued me into the Atkin's Endulge bars shortly after I started. She said she could not have gotten along without any sweets at all.

Hang in there thru induction and you can reward yourself with one of these treats.

Best of luck!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 06:11

Thumbs up

Hi Tracy!!

Thanks for the reply and informing me about the Endulge Bars. My wife had gotten some of the peanut butter cups and said they were good. I didn't realize they were a Dr. Atkin's product.

This is the start of my 6th day of induction. It is getting easier and what amazes me is that I have been able to reduce my diabetes medication drastically. Next week I plan to start a walking regime to help maybe eliminate the need for the medication altogether.

Again, thanks for the encouragement and the information.

Thanks!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 06:18
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%
Default Welcome, Michael!

Quote:
Did you have craving for sweets, espeically chocolates? From reading the book I get the impression that the cravings will past during the induction phase. What was your experience?

No cravings, never, not once. But I stay away from sweeteners, bars, diet drinks and stuff like that. I think it's all or nothing for some people. I said to myself that these foods don't exist for me anymore. Whatever you will choose, good luck! You can count on this forum, I know it helped me a lot!
Oh, I saw you have high BP, so do I, or rather...I used to before Atkins. I've been on betablockers for 7 years but I hope my Doctor will get me of them soon. One advice regarding BP: be very carefull with salty foods. Since many of them are allowed on Induction I got overboard and my BP went up. Now it's down again and I feel great. Wish you the same!
Alina

Last edited by Alina : Tue, Mar-11-03 at 06:26.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:58

Talking

Hi Alina,

I understand your posting. The past few days I've not have any cravings for sweets. That's a first for me. Also I've notice that in the evenings, I am not snacking every few minutes. This is so great, I don't feel hungry and I'm not obsessing about what to eat. An additional bit of information, I've been able to reduce my diabetes medications from 3 different pills to one pill and my blood sugar is averaging about 110 a day.

This whole process is amazing to me. I know there will come a time I won't be able to loose weight like I am now, but to keep my blood sugar under control with little effort is fantastic!!

Thanks again for the reply and I will do as you suggest.

#12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 09:00

Question Question for anyone

What method is used to figure out your body fat?

Thanks!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 09:08
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi Michael!

you've got the right attitude for this, believe me. Maybe for persons like us, who actually have a medical condition, the weight loss is not everything...
Yes, this is amazing. If I were a CEO for a major pharma company I would start getting worried...
About the body fat, there are some special scales on the market, I had my measurement at my sports club.

Have a nice day!

Alina
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:01

Thumbs up

Thanks Alina,

I'll try to find a gym nearby that has the scales. It would be interesting to find out what my body fat is.