Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default New Life

Hello - I'm new here. I'm not sure how it happened...how I really got so fat. Okay - I do know - I ate what I wanted and as much as I wanted. I really am not stupid...but that is what I did. My highest weight was 299 - I ended up having lap band surgery at 265...and over 1.5 years I got down to 204..and that was a struggle. I then let up on the calorie counting and I am where I am now. I put my original weight - because if I don't stop this craziness I will be right back up there.

Sorry - for the long intro. So, this is not a diet for me (I read someones post the other day, sorry, can't remember whose), but it said we had to choose to not cheat. I really thought about it - I used to "live" for cheat days. Crazy. This is not a diet for me - but a new life. So, I will find foods that I like just as much!

I'm excited to see what the future holds!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 14:03

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

So if you know you will cheat you are setting yourself up for failed. It is better to change your views and try it for only a limited time. After that time you will know that you can do it or not. Try it at least a month because the first 2 weeks are generally awful. Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

Thanks Ellen. Yes!!! I had never thought of it as setting myself up to fail - but as a reward...I know...why would I reward myself with something that really makes me feel so bad? After I had read that one post it clicked! It would be like if I was an alcoholic and told myself I could have a drink on the weekend if I was good. Crazy! I can still go out to eat and enjoy the food - just make better choices. I have found myself really looking at the nutrients and thinking if my body really needs it.

Thank you so much for the encouragement.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 14:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I used to live for the cheat days and diet breaks, too. That process never let me free myself from the junk that made me fat. When I stopped going on a 'temporary' diet and changed how I eat to LCHF I found the success I was looking for. It takes some time and effort to make this your lifestyle - but it is so worth it. It gets so much easier the longer you stay on plan. I wish you the best as you get started.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 01:08

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Ah..many of us have been there. I remember when I first found this site, admitted to myself I was over weight, sick and unhappy. I studied this site, watched many videos until I got it and haven't looked back. I started loosing weight before I joined this site, I don't even know what I was at my heaviest but it was bad. I believe I am at least a hundred lbs down and life has completely changed for me. You can do this too but like the rest of us, we had to be ready for change or something had to trigger us to change. I kept my eating plan simple early on so that I wouldn't mess it up for myself and now have been doing it long enough, I have taught myself healthy cooking. I hit many stalls along the way but I have just kept plugging away at it and my only regret is that I didn't learn what this site has to offer much earlier in my life. Now, a whole new perspective, after a while food is no longer a focus in the day but rather eat to live. Now I focus is on my new body, new clothing that actually fits and new activities- XC skiing was wonderful today, I am worth taking the time for myself. I have learned snacking is BAD, not worth the rise in blood sugar spikes- I wait until I can have a good meal. Cheat days for me, never. I have learned IF is everything, our bodies need a break from digesting food all the time and it clears out unwanted sugar storage and fat in our bodies. I am with Ken, it does take a while to change our lives around and it does get much easier but the rewards are amazing and they don't come from food. Any time I had a week moment, I would visit this site and look at all the success of others here. Keep going...yes, it's a new life and you can do this.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 02:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/130/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Adbow I have just read Ken'success story and I suggest you read it. It is one of the most inspirational stories I have ever read, and it proves losing lbs is definitely possible if you don't cheat.
I wish you good luck. If you feel tempted just read Ken's story, look at his marvelous before and after photos and I really think that will help you. 😊
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 06:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome adbow,
I posted a note about staples on that other thread, and see here you have already read some good LC books. Wheat Belly's explanation of the addictive qualities of wheat (and of course also sugar) was a real eye-opener for me. Another always recommend is Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat with Dr. Westman's clinic diet in the back and now his newest book The Case Against Sugar http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475685

A quote from the latest interview:

Quote:
G.T.: Clearly, the best approach is to learn to live without the obvious sources of sugar, in the sugary beverages, the candies and treats. But you have to do it long enough so that you can really know how you feel without it.

What’s it like to enjoy a meal without a dessert, or to drink water instead of juice or soda, to have a snack of nuts rather than a candy bar? When we try, and we can all do this as an experiment, we have to do it for long enough that we get over the initial cravings and get to the point where we can really experience what life is like without it. Only then can we decide if a healthy life without sugar is worth the apparent sacrifice.

With a No Sugar, No Starch diet..that is what you do. With the initial enthusiasm of a new diet, most people stay on it long enough that they get to the point they know what life can be without it. For me, three weeks in I realized the arthritis pain in my knees and life-long eczema were gone. And I learn the hard way anytime I cheat, they come back. Ken also has a terrrific list of health conditions that improved for him: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475434
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 14:52
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all so much! I am so ready and excited to embark on a new life - hey...my kids are grown and have moved out of state now - so perfect timing to give me something else to focus on!

Ken - I'm looking forward to reading your story. I know being new to this I have the initial excitement but I'm old enough to know after awhile I may not be ...so I plan on keeping coming here. I've found out that low carb subs are not working for me - I found a low carb tortilla but that seems to trigger over eating for me. It does something to my brain..hahah...because I can eat the same foods without the tortilla and when I'm slightly full I have no problem stopping - but add the tortilla...and I keep eating and thinking about what else I can eat.

Janet - thanks! I ordered the book "why we get fat".

Crowfire - thanks! I'm planning on reading Ken's journey - I need all the inspiration and tips I can find...and camaraderie.

mten2015 Thanks! I am ready. I am going to have to do simple foods...at least for now. I tend to stray if I get fancy or try adding in low carb substitutes...for some reason I then focus more on food ...and thinking about what I can eat next. I've noticed this week if I keep it simple - meats, veggies, some cheese. That I have no problem stopping before I'm full. But add the others and I have the same mind set when I was eating everything in site.

Again...thank you all so much!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 05:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great choice, I think you will like it, and the diet is so simple, it really works.
You already have the book, Wheat Belly, so re-read all the parts about the addictive qualities of Wheat. And if that were a Low Carb Tortilla, it's even Worse because they are made with refined starches like cornstarch..that's mainlining sugar.
Highly recommend you sign up for his blog, and also his Facebook page if you do that. He repeats great reminders about why Wheat is so addictive..here's the most recent: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/...aybe-not-fault/
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 09:09
Registered Member

BF:

Oh my gosh!!! AHHHH...I did not even think of the wheat and fillers in the low carb tortilla!!!! DING!!! To basics for me....thank you so much! I just subscribed to his fb page!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 13:48

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

In my experience, cheats are only cheats if you can get away with them. And in my experience, my body catches me out every time. So for me, there are no such things as cheats, only mistakes.

I think the best way to train yourself out of the cheating line of thinking is to closely monitor what happens when you do "cheat". I know that for me, whenever I eat pizza or something similarly inappropriate, my weight loss stalls for a good 3-4 days. It has a tangible effect, therefore it's not a cheat, it's just a mistake. But mistakes are things you can learn from, so it's not all bad news.

My name is Grav and it's been 15 months since my last sandwich.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Grav! Congrats on no sandwich...here goes for me!!

I've thrown away the low carb tortillas, nut butters and nuts - since I can't stay out of the nuts!

I went to lunch today with my parents and aunts...of course they wanted to go for italian! I had a grilled chicken salad...and did NOT eat the bread!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 15:49

Stats: 315/230/185 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi and welcome Adbow. Starting a journal is the best thing you could do to help you along on your journey. As you have already seen there are great people like Grav, Jey100, and Ken who are very gracious to give support and advice. It is invaluable in helping one stay the course with this new wol/woe.

Looks you are starting off good and have a great attitude. That helps tremendously in being successful. I look forward to reading about your successes and you progress in your journey. Keeping it simple as it comes to food is a great plan especially in the early stages.

Wishing you the best.

Chris
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Tx Chris. I will have to look at the journaling. I am using myfitness pal right now...but I think I might look at the journaling.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 11:03

Stats: 315/230/185 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 65%

Adbow I use my fitness pal to track all my food daily. I use the journal just to post how I am doing with this woe and other issues or successes with this wol.

chris