Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-07, 20:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I just read all 8 pages of this and truly enjoyed it-I love the give and take of these posts. It did surprise me that the one starting the posts never came back-maybe she switched to Kimmer? Her picture did look familiar.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 22:13
Quilting Lover

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/215/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Sorry... I was lost, pondering how someone could "have himself autopsied".......

hehehehe
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/190/135 Female 64in
BF:47.5
Progress: 4%

. . . .interesting study.

"The percentage of subjects who had dropped out of the study at 3, 6, and 12 months was higher in the group following the conventional diet (30, 40, and 43 percent, respectively) than in the group following the low-carbohydrate diet (15, 27, and 39 percent, respectively)."

"the relative increase in HDL cholesterol concentrations and the relative decrease in triglyceride concentrations were greater in the group on the low-carbohydrate diet than in the group on the conventional diet throughout most of the study."

"In contrast, the low-carbohydrate diet was associated with greater decreases in serum triglycerides and greater increases in HDL cholesterol than was the conventional diet, and the levels of both are also important risk factors for coronary heart disease.31,32,33 The magnitude of these changes approximates that obtained with pharmacologic treatments, such as derivatives of fibric acid and niacin.31 Although part of this benefit may be due to the greater weight loss with the low-carbohydrate diet, the changes are greater than those expected from a moderate weight loss alone.30 Therefore, it is likely that the macronutrient composition of the diet contributed to the improvement in the HDL cholesterol–triglyceride axis. High-carbohydrate, low-fat diets decrease HDL cholesterol concentrations and increase serum triglyceride concentrations,34,35,36,37 whereas low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets decrease triglyceride concentrations16,27,37 and increase HDL cholesterol concentrations.15 Moreover, replacing dietary polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat with carbohydrate is associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease, as predicted by changes in triglyceride and HDL cholesterol concentrations.38"

Despite these positives, I think it's written in a slightly negative tone about the low-carb diet despite not finding anything negative about the diet. I think the reason might be that the researchers received consulting and lecture fees from a slew of pharmaceutical companies and also, Slim-Fast, Coca-Cola, and M&M's.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 22:20

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Quote:
:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Sorry... I was lost, pondering how someone could "have himself autopsied".......

hehehehe

guess he forgot to schedule it...
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 07:42

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I think that they should pick someone to "study" that has done this "Diet" for years and years consistantly. You will gain the weight back on any "Diet" if you go back to your old ways of eating. If you could just "Diet" for a few months, and then go back to eating junk, but keep the weight off, it would truly be a miriacle diet. Otherwise, people are ignorant.
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 17:51

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

This would be so much more fun if Cherryrock was here.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 22:35

Stats: 230/230/160 Female 62
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Oh wow. I am now convinced and want to be a vegers too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrock
From the day I heard about the Atkins diet I knew it was bad news. but i tried to stay open to the idea and decided to look into it more. In the August 2004 edition of national geographic there is an article on dieting by Ms. Cathy Newman. It turns out YES the atkins diet does help you lose weight, however, within 6 months gain it all back. In the case of my mother-in-law, she lost 40 pounds on the atkins diet, then gained 60. Also, this diet is extremely bad for you. The atkins diet increases your chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, constipation, headaches, and even bad breath. Did you know that Dr. Atkins didn't have himself autopsied when he died? Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health, says that the best way to lose wieght, keep it off and stay healthy is simply to eat fewer calories. 1,600 a day for woman and 2,200 for men. I lost wieght by switching to a vegan diet for a while. I have to say, it was pretty hard, but I've never felt better in my life. My energy is through the roof and I'm very healthy. So, if you have the motivation, that is definately the diet I would suggest even if you dont care about animals. If you need help, I'm pretty sure the PETA website has vegetarian starter kits.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 04:54

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 350/280/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMKAY 53
This would be so much more fun if Cherryrock was here.

The sad thing is, the same "evidence" is trotted out even today when people want to show that low carb is very, very, bad for you. This stuff won't die. I am sure some of these people are PETA members, but I imagine most just Google for "Atkins Dangers" and come up with the PCRM site.

People are so sure that there is irrefutable evidence that you will die of heart disease, cancer, or break your hips more easily if you reduce your carbohydrate intake, they sometimes don't even read the things they are citing as their "proof" and end up quoting things that prove otherwise. Just like Cherryrock did.

Not really adding much, just funny that I had pretty much the same conversation not 2 days ago on another forum where someone was trying to make sure I knew how much I was harming my health. I feel bad for them. It's not their fault. We've been lied to so much that everything seems to have the same scientific weight whether it's based upon scientific evidence or just hypothesis. Especially if you get your health advice from the media or governmental bodies (let alone radical anti-meat activists).
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 10:09

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

I agree. I just wish that if people wanted to start an informative thread about the dangers of the diet, I wish they would stick around to argue intelligently. These posts end up being incredibly long, full of Lc'ers talking about what we already know. It's just boring. I want a bloodbath dammit!
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 09:46

Plan: Minimal Crap (Atkinsish)
Stats: 170/137/140 Female Five feet, three inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
Well, I felt bad and came back, because cherryrock could honestly believe PETA are not terrorists and we are misguided.

First of all, PETA are terrorists, and for people who are supposed to care about animals, why do they euthanize any animal they come across?
http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics.do?topic=peta

ALF/ELF are terrorists. I would say that PeTA is to ALF/ELF what Christian fundamentalists (read: Westboro Baptist Church) are to Islamic terrorists. Except PeTA has more appeal to gullible teenagers with nothing better to do with their lives.

They most certainly pat ALF/ELF on the back for what they do, though. At least, Ingrid Newkirk does.

Quote:
There are many people with ethical considerations regarding vegetarianism, I just caution you that you MUST consume animal products of some kind for the B vitamins. That is a fact.

No. Most vegans get it from supplements. Some vegetarian cultures got it from trace amounts of poo on unwashed vegetables.
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 10:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

These threads just never die do they? This one was started 4 years ago...
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 16:53

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

"Did you know that Dr. Atkins didn't have himself autopsied when he died? "

Okay, I know this thread is 4 years old but that really cracked me up.