Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 12:41

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay

After my 5 (!) failed attempts with weight watchers I always had this idea of metabolism as "burning calories" like a barbecue. As a little tiny deconditioned woman I had a little tiny hibachi so I had to eat little tiny food so my "furnace" (the hibachi) could burn it all.

Now I think very differently. Now I think of metabolism like a big strong stoker guy (or gal) shoveling coal into a furnace. (anyone remember that engine room scene from Titanic?) The stoker is my metabolism, the coal is strictly fuel - stored fat. The good food I eat makes the stoker really strong and fast, and the coal he is shoveling is my stored fat. So the better I eat, the more coal gets burned. But! I can't eat too much because if I eat more than the stoker needs, the extra food turns into more coal!

bwha ha ha ha

I'm glad I came over to "lurk" on the protein board, because thinking of my metabolism as a tiny hibachi changing to shoveling coal into a furnace was really cool.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 10:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 151.7/140.0/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I no longer believe that saturated fat is bad for you.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 15:17

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy-s
I no longer believe that saturated fat is bad for you.

Welcome to the dark side!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 13:32

Plan: Atkins till now CAD
Stats: 167/167/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

When all the BS about saturated fat came out in the 80s and 90s I ignored it because I had my own family as living proof that it was BS! Both my grandmothers lived to be 95 productively living on farms and eating buckets of saturated fats, pastured eggs, full fat raw milk and pork etc So did most everyone in the area I grew up in. Now these were all grassfed animals that pastured in the spring,summer, and fall and were fed hay, not corn, in the winter so their omega 3s would have been in the right ratio. So obviously fat and cholesterol are NOT the problem.

Lots of good info here if you need convincing.
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/...llon-talks.html
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 18:11

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 286/218/200 Male 74"
BF:
Progress:
Default You are onto something...

Grammy,

In my experience, lots of low carbers love the idea that all fat is good and that as long as you stay away from carbs you are ok.

In my experience, this isn't true and after the beginning stages, you will indeed need to keep your fat lower in order to keep losing.

It's a good idea to know of some good protein sources the are lower in fat.

Simply by swapping some of these lower fat proteins for some of the higher fat ones, I have been able to drop more pounds.

Some lower fat sources of protein are chicken breast, ground turkey breast, 96% lean ground beef (yes you can find it in most "regular" grocery stores now), egg whites and protein powders.

While many low carbers will cringe at this list, even if you only occasionally swap some higher fat sources for some of these you will find that you do lean out faster.

For anyone who has hit a plateu, this will bust it for sure.

The only thing you have to watch for is that if you do too much swapping, your hunger will increase.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 06:45
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Going low carb, low fat, high protein causes something called 'rabbit starvation' which will make you very sick and is not to be advised.

Lee
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 07:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think there's a lot of middle ground between a high-fat low carb diet and rabbit starvation, though. I've been eating less fat, more protein over the last couple months, and losing body fat. And I've been eating some of the foods LowCarbTom lists. But I haven't gone from where I was, seventy to eighty percent fat, down to ten or twenty, I've gone to about 60 percent fat. Less cream in my coffee. Sometimes I'll add a can of tuna to the same ground beef I ate when my diet was higher in fat, just to up the protein. That actually gives the burgers a pretty neat flavour.

An occasional swap of high-protein, low fat, wouldn't have to be Kimkins, it could also be seen as a kind of modified intermittent fast.

Dr Mike does suggest lowering fat intake to get out of a stall. That isn't the same as advocating a low-fat diet.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 09:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

60% fat is in no way low fat. And I agree there are many fat/carb variations that work. But low on both while eating lean protein, although it gives weight loss will eventually make you sick.

I was just warning generally of the dangers of trying to go low fat and low carb. Its a slippery slope when someone is advocating low carb plus egg whites, very low fat meat etc. It would be easy for someone to read a post like that and decide to try and go that low fat with everything, as well as low carb. Lowcarbtom is not specific about how many meals he is just eating lean protein. Could be one or two a week, could be every meal.

Lee
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 17:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Leemack --totally with you there. I just wanted to point out that there are ways of lowering fat intake that might help weight-loss, while falling far short of risking rabbit starvation. And I can't imagine wasting an egg yolk, so much goodness.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 06:30
NEVER GIVING UP!

I agree - waste a perfectly good egg yolk - insanity!

Lee
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 13:14

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 210/210/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

I know this is a bit old, but yeah...if you're going low carb -- do not go low fat as well. Personally, I shoot for 40-60% fat followed by Protein around 40-50%, and very minimal carbs (via veggies/salads/etc). Belief being that fat/protein aren't the true cause of fat.

The numbers can be toyed around with for a better personal fit, but do not go low fat on a low carb. That can be relatively dangerous. Carbs can provide energy, and so does fat. Protein can too, but it's a different process...and not one most exactly shoot for. So, basically, on a high carb diet -- carbs provide energy. On a low carb diet -- fat provides the bulk of your energy.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-11, 09:47

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

hmm

interesting, i have avg'd 45% protein, 37% fat and 18% carbs over the last 30 days, that keeps me at about 80g of carbs a day which is in the sweet spot according to marks daily apple, i really dont want or see the need to go lower on the carbs

i cant eat eggs which is a bummer for this type of diet lol
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 12:00

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Eat the fat - it's good for you! As for fat clogging your arteries, the more fat I eat the better my cholesterol numbers are!