Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1051   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 09:42

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Just some thoughts for Jaz:

I would go to that review with examples, not just words. Remind her of the times you saved her butt. Choose your words professionally, but also be direct. Ask her if she remembers the time....

If she DOES remember, then what is her basis for the mediocre review?
Sponsored Links
  #1052   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 12:37

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Sadly my, like 15 yr old DELL laptop died this morning, well heck all the lights are on and it works, but the monitor went total black. Monitor is gonzo darn it

on kiddo's older but a lot newer DELL laptop than mine was

So kiddo gave this to hubby and now I have taken over...and now I have to go to store and buy hubby a new computer of his own. Shoot me ya know but I have to say this computer is kinda one I know where everything is on it.

so I have to work on this computer cleaning it up with all the junky kid games and more downloaded and get it spruced up for the new user, me

will chat up later guys.

I thought I would get another 15 yrs out of my old laptop HA HA, kiddo thinks I am nuts, but I mean if all I do is a few basic things on a computer like banking and such and it can handle it, why upgrade LOL yes, that is me, using old technology for an old gal

will catch up later guys
  #1053   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 17:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

Jaz---On your boss/review---I would come in calm, crisp and cool. WITH a detailed list of your accomplishments. Don't leave even the smallest one out. Read them aloud to her. keep your face/voice neutral but firm and confident. When you're done ask one question. "Why didn't I get the review I deserved?" Put the onus on her to answer. If her answer is vague, repeat the question. Hold eye contact with her. If she doesn't back off and offer to reassess your review, ask her if you can attach your list and your position on this to the review. She will probably say no, but it shows your commitment to your viewpoint. Then tell her simply and firmly that you feel she has done you a disservice, and you feel mismanaged. Then YOU end the meeting. Get up and leave, NOT In a huff, but in a confident exit.

Obviously you'll choose your own words, but my point is angry defensive employees put bosses on the defensive from the get go, and make them feel justified in their assessment, fair or not. Better to show your degree of confidence and the degree of your disappointment in her in a professional manner, in as few words as possible. Then let her sit with it.

Meantime, write up your own letter, attach your list, and keep it in your own file--which BTW if you aren't already, I would start now, listing every poor management call this woman makes. Again, don't leave out any of them from this day forward. Date every notation. Then if you ever have to defend yourself to HR, or go to HR about her, you come loaded w/bear, with neat professional lists and plenty of examples. Then you just have to let it go, and hope she doesn't pull this on you again.

I've seen a lot of this in all the companies I've worked for, and talked to many an employee who has had to face what you have and I've learned a lot listening to their experiences, what worked and what didn't. Not to mention a couple of my own experiences from way back when I was on staff. Good luck, girl.

Trigger---OMG, I am thrilled to the freaking gills that the pork chop is moving up his retirement. That is such good and happy news for you and your family. I loved the way you put this to him. Think many men can't express ideas like "depression," and don't see it in themselves. But you put it in away he could recognize. So many things open and new now for you guys, and betcha you'll get your old pork chop back! Looking forward to hearing about all your adventures.

Nic---Well, it really kind of stinks woe wise to have the Holidays come back and bite again in the middle of January. Glad it was happy and fun, but still, put you in a different mind set then you've been in for the whole month. I doubt those 2 days will "stick." 5 to 7 days on LC, and you'll be right back to where you were---knowing you, maybe even less. So most you've lost on your goals is less than a week.

Are you allowing yourself a treat night on any schedule at this point? If so, count it as that, and just hang tight till the next treat night. Bet you'll be losing again by end of next week!

Lori---Ugh, sounds like you've gotten hit by a couple bugs in close time. Hope you're feeling good again soon. SO glad you're back at Boot Camp. Agree w/Jaz that this is kind of your foundation for living healthy. Funny when you pull that out it can be like the game of Jenga, and everything comes down!

K-mom---I CANNOT thank you enough for your offer, ---your kindness warms my soggy little heart. Really don't know how we're going to systemize getting out of here as we just made this decision right before Hubby left. So upon his return we will make a chart---wish you were here to do it with us, as I suspect you're a very good chart maker. Will keep your lovely offer in mind and see what we end up needing.

WOW, has it already been 5 and a half months since your last A-fib instance? That is so great. Seems the drugs may be slowing you down a bit. Wonder if you could ask your doc what you might do to minimize those effects?

Will start water again w/yesterday. Monday, 4/3. Tuesday, 3/3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I got thru the huge snow storm w/out the hubby. Kept our front walk, thru gate and to street open. 4 times out there shoveling it did the trick. I took 2 Aleeve's proactively before I began and not too sore today, although in my experience, it could be worse tomorrow, there's often a lag day between exertion and peak sore.

Got up at 7 this morning, cleaned off my car---which looked like a toy white car, big and clumsy, couldn't see an inch of it under the snow. THAT took some doing as I didn't shovel my car yesterday. Good news is I got out and off the curb fairly easily---so many on the block needed to be pushed out this morning---and parked around the corner for snow emergency plowing. Kind neighbor snow blew our sidewalks knowing hubby was gone. No small thing as we live on a corner lot w/LOTS of sidewalk.

Yes, we DO have a garage, and thank heavens hubby put his car in it before he left. Two cars to deal w/would have put me over the edge. Our garage is detached and at the way back of the house on the alley, and if you want to use it daily through out the winter it involves a ton of extra blowing and shoveling, including big driveway into it, and pathway to house---not to mention this area faces a park, which is lovely and great, but no one can see you back there so it doesn't feel safe to me in the night time. Love living in the city, but you have to be smart about it. Maybe I need a "Tiger Lady,"---y'know, that thing you can buy for safety where you spurt out claws when you need 'em. LOL, just can't help but think I'm the kind of gal this could back fire on.

On plan today, AND I finally have my word for the year. "Move!" Complete w/exclamation mark. Of course, it's somewhat literal, but it has many other meanings for me. As in, move physically, move forward, move on, move towards the different and the new, move down the scale, KEEP moving TOWARD better things. Energy begets energy, and I need to MOVE in many ways. Get myself going again.

I have been in sort of a daze since this big change in our life reared it's head, and my response has too often been too curl up on the sofa w/a book, or binge some series, and shut out the world. I need to "move" back into the game, and do what I can with that.

Last edited by Blue52 : Tue, Jan-23-18 at 18:01.
  #1054   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 17:48

BF:
Progress:

PS. I got my lobster! LOL, talk about moving forward.
  #1055   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 05:42

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good Morning,

Blue- I love your word. Move!- Love your reasoning for it more. I know you will use it often to yourself!
When does your hubby get home? Nothing wrong with a good book, or Netflix! Much better than grabbling food!
I didn't get your reference to TIGER LADY. Were you speaking about a firearm? Nothing wrong with that!

There is a gal at work- who looks like Barbie. Tall, long blond hair, blue eyes, as southern sweet as you get. True southern belle! She was really excited one afternoon. She came over to my desk to shown me her new concealed to carry license. Packing blond beauty! Bought her a PINK one!

So I am thinking maybe you could do what I am doing. Packing one box a day. I emptied my hutch this last weekend. I will do the spare bedroom closet this weekend! One box at a time- is not that overwhelming. I am collecting boxes from work.

TRIG- Cool beans about the Porkchop! I think once he "rolls" the idea around he will start getting excited too! I think it would be neat to plan a retirement trip! Ya know the beginning of a new chapter, not a closing of life.

HAHA- on the death of your beloved PC! Let me tell you- I went from a PC to a MAC. There is a LEARNING CURVE for sure. I am not sure if I had to do it over if I would go that route again. My reasons for going Mac is hackers. I have had 2 PC's hacked. Viruses-. Not dropping money into something that can be taken so quick!

Lori- how is boot camp going? Any more new boxes coming your way?

Kmom- Sure could use you here! Feel free to come and pack up my apt! Getting on the water wagon today.

Leeann-YAY on getting your routine and time to yourself back! I know you are looking forward to that!
-------------------------------------------
Urghhhh... ran outta time again!

THANK YOU ladies for your wise words of wisdom for dealing with the boss lady! I am going to take in the list of things I have accomplished. You are right- keep my self in check and put the claws away! It would just justify her reasons. I am better than that. I know it and so does she.

I need to MOVE PAST this and focus on my school, and family. I think I have allowed her to get under my skin. To much power.

Gotta run- check in after work! This week is a busy busy busy week.
  #1056   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 08:10

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I like the advice given for Jaz. Well done, you all.
Jaz, what did you decide to do?
I'm sorry that the Mac curve has been hard for you. Did you ever go in to the Apple store for help, read a book, or watch videos? I find it so intuitive but maybe just because I started early. I haven't used a PC in probably 15 years or longer.

Trig- glad you got a new-to-you Dell. Does it run faster or better than the one you were using before? Hopefully so once you get it all cleaned up.

Blue- I am super impressed that you aren't sore as all get out. That says something about your physical condition! My back would be a mess, no doubt about it.

LOVE your word Move! complete with exclamation point. Very fitting and just the right amount of spunk.

•••••••••••••

I did get out to see Lady Bird yesterday and I enjoyed it, more so than I, Tonya. Tomorrow Dh is playing hooky at lunchtime and we are sneaking off to see Jumanji.

FINALLY back to a normal schedule today!! DS is in school and then play practice until 4:30, no one else is in the house but the dogs and I. YAY!! I'm going to get some cleaning done, do some reading, and do a CASA visit but mostly I am just reveling in this open window of time! It feels so luxurious!

I may try to get a gym visit in today also; we'll see.

Back on track since Sunday and plan to continue this. Next challenge will be on Saturday when I go to the Cheesecake Factory but I've already perused the menu and I think that will be all right.
  #1057   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 08:36

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

reading along and enjoying it all, but the spell check and more is freaky on this, it auto changes as I type and it blows my mind and it is super sensitive, I just linger the cursor and I go there and go into the margin and font sizes change...ugh, give me back my old dinosaur please! But it is super duper fast, Bro Rich got it for her to be fast for gaming and keeping up with high speed games so yea, it is super fast.

still getting used to it

off to go and get things done. somehow behind now

I am reading along and loving what I am reading

I will catch up sooner than later on personals hopefully

ugh my mind is just out there right now and just stumbling along LOL

great day all
  #1058   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 10:18

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

I'm sneaking in under the wire for a morning post! I had to be to work at 5AM for inventory, so no post this morning early. I was scheduled to work until 2, but we got finished and the boss said we could go home, so I bolted at 10. Now I'm off till next Monday!

Inventory was not difficult, just tedious. You might know that I would get stuck doing fishing tackle. OMG.....so many little packs of fish hooks and lures! Ugh! Anyway, done & dusted! Now the bosses just have to figure out the variances etc.

I was awake at 2 this morning, and finally just got up at 3. I have a feeling I'll be in bed early tonight. I want to go to boot camp tomorrow morning and then I have a dentist appt to get a filling replaced at 10...yuck.

Jaz...hope your meeting with your boss went well. What a piece of work she is. Sigh.....Glad to hear that Ava is doing well. I'm sure it's quite an adjustment for your DD & her husband.

Trig...good luck getting used to your new computer. That would be frustrating if it keeps auto-correcting everything!

Well, time for a nap! Talk to you all later!
  #1059   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 10:28

BF:
Progress:

Water Hounds
Monday: Blue 4/3, KMom 5/5
Tuesday: Blue 3/3, KMom 6+/5

Will plan on you starting today, Jaz. (Wednesday)
  #1060   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 10:50

BF:
Progress:

Blue:
Love, love, love your word! I know nothing came to you for quite a while. But when the right word came along, it was perfect!

~ I am glad you shoveled in shifts. We got a ton of snow! I am fortunate in that I have my DDS and her husband and their three kids help me. Strong teenage boys! I helped a little, but with my back still a little sore, I took it easy. Plus I had to do it in three layers! First shovel off the top layer, then the middle layer, and then the bottom layer! That worked the best for me. Wondering if you are sore today. That was a lot of shoveling!

Great advice to Jaz. ~ Glad you are starting your water again. We need each other to make sure we keep this a priority in our lives.

Nic:
I like the Low Carb Cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory. It is not like the real thing, but close enough for me. I bought eight gift cards in November. When you bought a gift card for $25.00, you got two cards for a free slice of cheesecake! I just love that deal. I gave away three of my gift cards, and kept the other five to use to pay when I eat there. And I have 16 Slice of Joy cards for a free slice of cheesecake! Let me know what you order there.

~ Glad for the "open window time" for you. And glad you get some much needed time for yourself.

~ Say, can you please think about "The Greatest Showman" from a deaf person's perspective. I assume there is a lot of visual. I know there is some singing, but that is OK if the story line is strong. Thinking of taking SD there this weekend with her boyfriend. I will spend a lot of time with both of them explaining about the movie first. Then they use these devices that attach to their seats. SD's boyfriend benefits greatly from seeing the words, but it goes too fast for SD. I will also interpret SOME during the movie.

Lori:
Wow! You guys got done four hours early! Is that normal? Maybe they just said 2:00 in case it went long. Yes, sounds tedious doing inventory for fishing tackle! Hope you don't have a dream tonight about fishing! ~ You should sleep pretty soundly tonight with only a couple hours of sleep last night. Explain to the cat that you need a lot of sleep tonight!

Jaz:
Wow, you got some great advice. When is the review scheduled? I will be anxious to hear how the meeting goes.

~ Glad Ava is doing so well. Sounds like things are settling into a nice routine for all of them.

Trig:
Hopefully the new computer will get easier for you. I bet it is fun to have one that is faster, but I know you would probably be very happy still having your old one!

~ I still smile when I think about the early retirement for Pork Chop. I loved how you described him. I am hopeful you will see that same personality when he is less stressed and tired. There are a ton, and I mean ton, of things I loved about my hubby. One of the biggest is that he made me laugh so much!

Me:
I am trying very hard, but not seeing a lot of success. I truly believe I lost weight almost twice as fast before these meds! Not sure why they are blocking my weight loss. At first I was famished, so I knew not to expect a loss as I was eating so often. But now I am stellar most of the days, but not seeing much of a loss. Jaz, or anyone, do you know why it is happening? I am not real discouraged, just confused. And I will have another stellar day today. In fact, I will be CapD!

KMom 10x4
  #1061   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 10:54

BF:
Progress:

Nic...
Funny. I was thinking you actually opened your window and enjoyed the fresh air! But now I am thinking you meant an open period of time!
  #1062   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 16:37

BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Trigger---Once you get used to the "fast" I think you'll love it. My desktop Mac is running a bit slow right now, needs a good cleaning out, and it's totally aggravating to me. Of course "a bit slow" means it takes a second or two longer, LOL. My, the expectations we have these days!!!

Nic---Oh, I'm just feeling your feeling of the luxury of your own time all the way from St. Paul. When I read your post, I actually exhaled for you.

Glad to hear you're "on board" again and comfortable with it. The faster back on, the easier it is, right? That LC cheesecake K-mom mentioned sounds pretty darn good. I've never been to the Cheesecake Factory, although we do have one here.

Jaz---How did it go w/your review today?

Agree, know that feeling of someone under skin you don't want there! My mantra for those times is "distance and detach, distance and detach." Often repeated many times when needed.

Lori---Really like the French vanilla protein powder you suggested. I have now brought another brand in a "salted caramel" and while it's good, I find it doesn't dissolve as easily or smoothly as your brand, so going to check out what other flavors they offer.

K-mom---No, oddly not sore yesterday except for just a bit in arms and shoulders and not sore today at all. Do have to say, Hubby has the best shovel out there. Light weight, but big scooper. Push along and heave to the side...that's the part that can get you. I did it one foot at a time, took plenty of breaks to stand in the snow and just enjoy it, as it was so mild out and so very pretty. Also, always try to remember to employ my stomach muscles to support my back, something I learned when I was working out, and has thankfully become kinda instinctual for me, and lastly I really stretched out when I was done. Tellin' ya, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hardly move the next day, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Seems like your slowed activity level due to meds may have something to do with your weight plateau? That's like being between a rock and a hard place and I can sure understand your frustration! Any luck w/a tread mill routine yet?

Wednesday water - 3/3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week has turned out to be a lot busier than I thought it was going to be with work. Actually juggling 3 projects for big client. Which is good, but I'm out of shape for it. When it rains it pours, and then days of nothing.

On plan. Been off salads for quite a while, but last night I made an old fave. Romaine base, with scoop of tuna salad on top, quartered hard boiled eggs and sliced black olives, w/one of my home made vinaigrettes...AND BOY, did that hit the spot. So much so that I'm making it again tonight.

Then going to settle in with Scandal, which I started after Hubby left. Fun, easy, glaze and daze.
  #1063   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 17:34

BF:

Hey all quick stop in! Got a TON still to do- work after work!

So I was all prepared to go in with case in hand. My boss had an "unexpected event that pushed it back" .
Want to know what that was?!?!?!? I will tell you. The VP- made her redo my eval, up the points and added $4,000 bonus AND up my salary 4%! NICE!!!!!

How do I know this?! - Well as I shared I saw the review she had for me yesterday. Her boss was not in until today to review it first. Then made her redo it and gave her a "TALKING TO"!!!!

How do I know? First I saw the first review - it sucked. Second the VP was in and just happen to be in the copy room at the same time I was and said- OH.......M and I went over your review THIS MORNING. I HOPE YOU ARE PLEASED. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO.
PICK me up off the floor!

Then came the review- stellar across the board except 1 area that got a 3. Emails- I WRITE TOO MUCH.... I write BOOKS......... Please write less and use bullets.

Oh....... the best part....... My boss would LOVE to mentor me!!!!! Oh yes........ "feel free to ask me anything, and I will try HARDER, to communicate more and mentor you"!!!!!!!!
Are you frekin kidding me. I was STUNNED.
Walking on air stunned. - However I seriously wonder what my boss must be thinking.
Does she hate me? Scared? Mad? Realize I have helped her, I'm an asset? Wonder if I will replace her? I'm sure she felt she had it in the bag and the VP said no way. It was above her.

Freaky thing is the VP RARELY talks to me. She was sweet as pie to me and WANTED me to know she had a hand in my review TODAY!
She had no idea I SAW it yesterday- vastly different.

And there ya have it corporate world and game playing at it's best.
Tomorrow I have an all day meeting in a hotel with everyone from our company from all over the state.

Friday and Monday M is off and I got the office! I slipped my rebuttal discretely in my notebook and was so shocked at the turn of events.

OFF TO BUY A PLACE. I needed just that to get to a down payment. I am really ready and feel good about the move money! I need 4% and have some saved- but need a few extra grand for comfort. KARMA KARMA KARMA-

Thank you ladies for some awesome advice. I was prepared in the event.

Kmom- Water WED. 5/6- but will finish out at 6/6-
As far as tired and struggling not losing weight, I do wonder if your thyroid is slowing? It's hard for me to determine without seeing lad results. BUT- meds can and do cause weight gain. you are on some real heavy hitters. You haven't shared EVERYTHING you take- but yes- meds and what you said about lethargy gives me REAL pause!!!!

I would lookout those side effects. Also consider food intolerances as well....... Wheat, Dairy, gluten, and artificial sweetener. I would be interested to what your A1C and daily blood sugar runs. I am a numbers gal when it comes to healthcare. Feel free to PM me- anytime.

BLUE- I am tickled for you! Now working on 3 projects! You will do great. In will put a jingle for sure into your step!
I am not a Scandle fan. One of the gals at work was telling me to watch Gracie and Frankie- ever heard of it? She watches it. LOVE ME NETFLIX!!!!!

When does the hubs come home?
Don't you just love to re-discover a new favorite! I too go though that.........

Leeann- I was so smiling reading your post! JOY JOY HAPPY HAPPY - you get your "life back"- back to the grind!
Warm there yet?

Trig- Once a PC gal- always a PC gal. It IS so hard to switch for sure. that is part of my struggle right now. Like you I am old school! Are you buying a new one?
What was for dinner? Do you like chicken salad?

Lori- I forgot you had inventory today. I GUESS that give you the day off from boot camp!!!!!!!!-
Hey- Spring is AROUND the corner........ IE golf. And we all know that means cute golf clothes!
------------------------------------------
Thats all she wrote for today............

Off to look at scan Realtor and do some school reading. My evening. IF I am lucky will check out some NETFLIX
  #1064   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 19:33

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Jaz.....what fantastic news!! I'm so glad that at least someone sees what an asset you are to the company! You must feel really good after that boost. House shopping.....YAY!!

Blue...glad you like the protein powder. I'm just starting to use it again. I like it after boot camp and it holds me for a few hours.

Ok gals, I'm heading for bed at 8:30. Long day and I'm hoping to have a good night's sleep so I can head to early boot camp. Then I have dentist at 10 and then a new weight loss client at 2. Busy day for this retired girl! Good night!
  #1065   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 05:03

BF:

OMG- I thought today was FRIDAY.

Can ya tell I want the weekend? I spent a few hours house hunting. I will be honest- now I am sorta learning towards a small house VS. condo/ Townhouse.

First I HATE HOA fees. I think HOA are a money suck and I don't want to pay. I would rather pay someone to come and mow.
Also I am TIRED of connected neighbors. Second I want to be able to keep the home for a few years....ie I don't want steps. I still want to be in it in my 70's.

I don't have much to add from last night- was on plan/ still am. Water good could use more sleep. Woke up tied because of tiring dreams. - They make me tired. I was driving and driving and driving- I never could get home. I wondered if my meds were causing vivid dreaming- but I did it even as a kid! weird how that works.

Ok- I have this huge statewide meeting that lasts 8 hours. I hate these. They last all day. People from every division stand up and talk about how wonderful they are, and on and on and on. We have these every quarter. BORING. They serve lunch too. That however usually isn't bad. They always have 2-3 kinds of meat, salad, and tons of carbs and desserts.
I go for the meat- and water. Last time it was roast beef. It was good. No potatoes.

Ok - see above personals- house hunting, and school this weekend. Brought home more boxes.

OK ladies- this is OUR TIME TO - Move!, Distill, Chug,and be Purposeful!
Closed Thread