Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 09:02

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question The Fat Question

Since I have been converted to low carb over the past year, I have been trying to educate my kids about the true healthy way to eat. They now eat more protein snacks and I limit their sweets and desserts, etc, but they still insist on a bowl of cereal for breakfast most days. So, whilst I am re-educating my kids' eating habits, they are still eating quite a lot of carbs (although less than before), and, since I have been re-educated myself about the eating of fat, good fats are a staple part of all our meals now. Thus, they are eating a high fat/medium carb diet.

Now here's the thing: I've read, of course, that combining high fat/high carb is the worst thing you can do, and this really bothers me. How low is low enough? It also affects my DH as well, who has a really stressful job and, together with the high fat, and not particularly low carb, diet, this could lead to problems, especially as he does not approve of my diet and won't read anything ......

Any crumbs of comfort out there??

Katy in England
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%

This was the exact question that I was going to ask! I have a very similar situation at home. My 11 yr old is a bit chubby too, so I dont this mixed WOE to add to his wasteline. My DH and other son {8 yrs} are slim so weight gain is not an issue for them, but health concerns are if this is a harmful way to eat.

I know they will not convert to L/C eating completely, but I dont want to cook 2 different meals 3 times a day either. We always had low fat food before.... lot of good it did me! Ha!

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 13:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can't help but think that by cutting out the processed, white death that is white bread, flour etc you wouldnt reap health benefits. We ate like this for thousands of years, no?

If your children are eating a moderate carb/higher fat/adequate protein diet what is it relative to? Higher fat than what? I don't know the counts off the top of my head (as they aren't things I eat anymore) but french fries, hamburgers with buns, krispe cremes.. these things are high in both fat and carbs. Are you sure their diet is actually higher in fat now? Perhaps its similar, only it's a different kind of fat now

I've read studies where researchers did only one thing different to the diets of the test subjects: they increased protein; the greater the increase the greater the % of body fat lost.

Do your children like oatmeal? Whole, unprocessed oats are what you'd call a 'slow burning carb' - low on the glycemic Index and very 'stick to your ribs'. I have them once or twice a day now, even make LC cookies with them.

Just my ramblins
Nat