Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 15:14

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up Got the NEW SP Book~DUMP the First Two!

Hi everyone!

Here's a long winded review of the new SCHWARZBEIN PRINCIPLE PROGRAM (SPP) book--and, of course, a very lengthy commentary from (eh hem) me!

The new, leaner book was cheap at under $13, and a fairly fast read. I picked it up at Borders, it was the only one in stock because they only ordered one! Read it over pretty fast, as it's thinnner than the others and mainly has a lot food lists and menus that I didn't read over. But overall a much more fun read! Newbies will have no problems starting this program and will have most of their questions answered from THIS book, unlike the first two books which left many of us hanging.

SPP is a lot of re-worked, re-organized, re-re-re stuff from the first two books, but it's a MUCH better read--especially if you are just starting out and have NEVER read the others. Because I've been at this for 3 years, I'm pretty set in my eating ways and like many of you, have a personalized grip on my eating now--but it's GREAT to refresh it now and then, which is why I purchased the book in the first place. Sorta encourages ya, you know what I mean? It's like owning a Corvette and still wanted to read about it in the latest magazine!

And I think the doc has spent a few hours READING THIS FORUM since she has addressed MANY of the *complaints* that have been posted here over the past few years. Things she left out of the other books that have now been addressed. Like what, you ask? READ THE BOOK and find out! Let's face it, she left out A TON of stuff that should have been included in the first book, then went overkill on the 2nd with technical medical stuff--and STILL didn't hit the nail on the head (making eating so freakin complicated that many gave up and went to another plan or made their own).

But this book has streamlined *the theory* and actually finally created something we can actually call A PROGRAM. Before she seemed to be all over the map with her *plan* but now it's more defined and anyone can understand it (even me!). As far as I'm concerned, she can ditch the first two books (especially #2) and just have this new one so as not to discourage newbies.

For me, trying to figure out what type of metabolism I had/have was not worth the effort. The tests, the mind boggling medical jargon--it was overwhelming for this fat-bootied girl! I just started eating whole foods when I wanted, when I was hungry, had a few treats now and then and 3 years later I'm still losing and getting leaner and healthier each day. No techical stuff needed. But the new book is going to really help many people who, like me, get confused at words with more than one syllable (spelling?)--great job Diana!

She really goes out of her way to let the reader know in this book that weight loss is secondary to healing to the body. She sternly advises that weight GAIN may occur in many people whose bodies are damaged from years of abuse (many on this forum experienced weight gain).

HIGHLY OPINIONATED AREA--READ WITH EXTREME CAUTION!!!
Reason for weight gain on this forum over the past few years.... Part of that I think is because the doctor pretty much avoided setting limits on foods and some went crazy, ate the wrong foods or unintentionally ate too much or too little. Others gained because they didn't follow the whole foods plan closely enough for their abused bodies and ate fake processed foods too often in place of whole foods. Others because they can't *say no* to crap food and continued to cheat and then get back, to cheat and then get back on--on and off the plan constantly, etc, etc....Never really *doing* the plan--in other words, their own fault! But many that gained weight initially have lost it! Just like the doc said.

I realize this is opinionated, but hey, that's the nature of a review. Personally, I'm not into figuring out that *type* I am or measuring things or even being legalistic about my eating. But I know I am way better off than 3 years ago. And I'll give the doc this--she's COMPLETELY 100% CORRECT about the body losing weight naturally once it's healed from eating whole foods. I'm living proof of that.

I've consumed a lot of food and lost a lot of weight--and dropped from a size 34 to a 22. But it didn't happen overnight. And it's only been this past 9 months or so that the main drop has happened. 49 pounds in 2004, and the biggest drop in my size yet! And with each 10 pounds I lose, I seem to drop a size in pants (as long as I don't drop my pants :lol! And I'm eating the same or perhaps more food now than when I started.

It appears the doc is onto something: Body damaged? You'll gain weight. Body healed? You'll lose weight and eat a lot of good food to do it!

I don't believe in taking hormones (your mileage may vary), and I'm not into the new age crap (heavy new age overtones in her books), but I do believe that eating whole foods is the only way to be healthy and lose weight without killing yourself, losing quality of life, and shortening your lifespan.

Thanks Dr. S for your first book that got me started (even tho I don't follow your plan strictly), and thanks for the 3rd book which is much better and much more informative for REAL LIVING. You were RIGHT! (But you can have that second book back--or send me a refund. Just kidding)

--Betty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the review, Betty. And for the encouragement.
Don't you just get sick when you see that show that has all the fat people eating low to no fat, and having exercise contests (to exhaustion). I bet they'll have to work years to get their adrenals back into shape. IF they ever find out about it in the first place.
I abused my system for years with overwork, over exercise and over-eating all the wrong things. But now, while I occasionally do overwork (it's called earning a living - no choice) I do try to make it up to myself by geting enough rest to try and recover.
I'll go and get the book (I have the other 2). I actually liked the first 2, so I'm expecting to love this one.
Donna
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 11:30
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Thanks for the really excellent review Betty!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 12:04

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Thanks Betty, you talked me into it! I skimmed over it, then went ahead and bought it. Wasn't sure it was for me b/c I don't need to lose weight, but I think the title was just a way to attract more people to the program, the emphasis is still on healing. Not sure how well I'll do with the new additional restrictions (lower saturated fat, rotating foods, gluten free at first), but I'm just trying to move toward more whole foods at the moment. I was also glad she gave specific recommendations for tapering off overexercising.

Jen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

"And with each 10 pounds I lose, I seem to drop a size in pants (as long as I don't drop my pants) "

Betty, you're a stitch! and a role model for me. I've been doing this for since last March (a little at a time) until now I think I'm just about with the program. I've lost a little weight but I feel so much better physically that I don't want to go back for the sake of losing a little faster. I'm looking forward to losing my pants. <ha! and that can be taken so many ways - I am taking the hormones afterall>

What do you think about her ban on all artificial sweeteners?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 11:22

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Does this book give any new advice on healing that isn't really there in SPII? I have combed through SPII fairly thoroughly and didn't think I would bother with the new one if she is just rehashing what she wrote before in a more convenient package. I read through the thread on zinc and that's news to me. Any other worthwhile tidbits?

I was doing well on SPII till I had my last baby. I have been struggling since then (as I always do post-partum). When I was at my mom's over Xmas, I basically ate lots of sweets with some meat and veggies. Even though I was getting less sleep, I felt sort of normal then. Once I got back home and on program again, the headaches returned, I have permanent dark circles under my eyes, lots of stiffness, muscle aches, etc. I'm really beginning to doubt whether SP will heal me or not. Should I try the new book?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 20:38

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

It has more specific advice on what to eat, how to taper off bad habits and what supplements to take. If you can get someone to watch your baby for an hour, I'd advise going to your local bookstore and sitting down with it to see what you think.

Jen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 14:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbreath
"And with each 10 pounds I lose, I seem to drop a size in pants (as long as I don't drop my pants) "

Betty, you're a stitch! and a role model for me. I've been doing this for since last March (a little at a time) until now I think I'm just about with the program. I've lost a little weight but I feel so much better physically that I don't want to go back for the sake of losing a little faster. I'm looking forward to losing my pants. <ha! and that can be taken so many ways - I am taking the hormones afterall>

What do you think about her ban on all artificial sweeteners?

Wow! Thanks for the kinds words FB! I'll be sure to be on my best behaviour now.

RE artificial sweeteners, I do agree and have agreed since day one! In fact I have never liked AS even before moving to 100% whole foods. BUT I have used SPLENDA on occassion to make a yummy cheesecake or a nice pumkin cake. But I don't use it for anything else.

I only make the cheesecake about once every two months or so, or for special requests for friends who are diabetic. Believe me, if I could get that cheesecake to taste good with STEVIA I would! But, even as a diehard stevia fan for moderate use, I cannot get it to taste GREAT, so I opt to use the Splenda for that application.

What I REALLY should do is avoid it altogether, but I am not compelled to do so since I use it so seldom. Even when I eat chocolate, it's the real thing, just 85-88% pure chocolate with real sugar in it. I can eat it in small amounts with no side effects or cravings, but it's taken me a couple years to get to that point.

Also, I don't like to broadcast this on this forum since it is not something that most folks can do without problems afterward, but I do use molasses to sweeten things sometimes, but in VERY small amounts. I also use pure unfiltered organic honey for certain things. But again, I don't use these very often.

I use molasses in homemade ice cream, about 2 tablespoons for the entire (quart?) bucket, as it gives it a burnt sugar taste, like creme brule (sp?). Or honey for me works well in certain teas that I don't like stevia in. Also for some berry desserts I like to use honey.

But it's taken me a couple years to get to that point. I think my body has repaired itself, obviously enough to begin losing weight at a more rapid rate than the first 2 years I was eating whole foods. So I am certain I am able to now metabolize these things more normally, therefore I don't restrict myself completely from them.

Anyway, that's my long explanation for sweeteners. For the record, when I switched over to this way of eating, I went COLD TURKEY, unlike the way Dr. S recommends in her books. I did not *self medicate* as she calls it, I just ate what I wanted within reason. I also continued to eat corn and other starchy things, and now in her new book she actually advocates it! But I have found that the NEW book is basically the way I have modified my own eating plan! I think she read my mind or has been spying on me! HA!

Also, wanted to mention I have eaten gluten free for about 3 years now and it has made a huge difference in my life! But I do eat oats and some things with gluten, but no wheat, etc.

RE is this book worth investing in -- YES! It's the best yet and puts it RIGHT OUT THERE for ya to get all the little details. I mean, it's only $13. Don't eat out one night and you can use that $$ to buy the book. And while you're there, get a few magazines and read those on the house.

--Betty
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 17:55

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

Can you tell me more about eating gluten free? Have you found an alternative bread that you can use with the less carbs in it. I am diabetic and am supposed to keep carbs at 20g per meal for the healing plan.

Thanks, Marianne
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Marianne, I found a tasty no gluten food mentioned in the new book - Corn Thins. I use them with peanut butter or almond butter as a snack - and quick breakfast. The Corn Thins are relatively expensive but have almost 0 carbs. I've given up bread for now because the gluten free costs so much and it doesn't even look good. Take a look at her sample meal/snack plans and it's pretty impressive what we can have.

PS After being gluten free for a couple of weeks I ran out of alternatives and had a slice of bread one day with breakfast. Later I found myself doubled over with abdominal cramps. I've periodically had cramps like that for years but never suspected wheat. I plan to stay gluten free for a few months and eat wheat again as an experiment. If it happens again I'll be completely convinced. It really hasn't been too bad without it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 13:49

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default wow,The Betty

Your journey is proof of TSP working like it is supposed to ( of course you have put effort into it.!) Congratulations . I think your experience also shows how one can customize --which in the long run is the only way to maintain any program.

In logging in I see I haven't posted here since Dec. 04. I do read other's posts about once a week though and enjoy reading them. Since I started working longer hours last year I have not had the chance to pay as much attention to my menus as before. Sometimes I have strayed from preparing by the book TSP by using some prepared frozen items and of course fallen into temptation of the holiday foods. Winter is always the time for me when the little red devil has knocked the sweet little angel off of my shoulder and prevailed nutritionally and with regards to less exercise , but I am gaining the control I need to switch that around and have ordered the new book . Maybe that will further the cause!

Your review helped me to decide to go ahead and spend the $$s on the new book. I found the second book rather frustrating with all the testing and ' yes you can eat fats/ maybe you shouldn't/ they are good for you except if/saturated fats for some/ no-no for others/to know you must spend many $$s to find out what you should do----.yada,yada,yada/ Of all the diet books out there I feel TSP makes the most sense , but I could use some basic 101 type help about now, so I am hoping this new book may be it. It worked out nice -- at amazon it is under $10. and I combined an order with a neighbor to go over $25. so no shipping costs.

the Betty, am I thinking of some other poster or was it you --when you first came to the bd. did you post about *hating* the taste of stevia ? I know when I first started using it I wasn' t wild about it but I can't do without it now. For about a month awhile ago I threw caution to the wind and used Splenda in my am decaf and Decaf iced tea and noticed the long ago sugar cravings returning and put 2 and 2 together (finally) --started using stevia again and started feeling more balanced again. I don't find the occasional use of Splenda or honey that way , but daily sure affected me.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:32

BF:
Cool Stevia and Gluten-Free eating!

Hey Rosa, great post! Good to talk with you again!

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated my friend.

RE Stevia, YES it was me that posted that it was awful. But I found a brand that is great and have been enjoying it for over a year now. I found it at Trader Joe's for $9.99. It contains 1100 servings! It's a powder and it's PURE stevia, not a blend. It's called SUPERIOR SOURCE brand and they have a website you can view their products at, here it is... www.cvc4health.com

Note that I did not see the small bottle that I get at TJs on their website, so it's possible they may not have updated their site the last time I viewed it, or perhaps they only sell this size and product at stores, not online. In any case, it's the BEST tasting stevia I've had, the only one I can stand. It's very sweet and not that nasty aftertaste that I had a problem with in the other brands.

They also sell another product at TJs by this same company, but it's a much larger bottle and is cut with lactose to make it spoon like powdered sugar I guess. I don't use this stuff since it's not pure however. So you might try that from TJs, they keep it in the vitamin supplement section since it's only considered legally a supplement, not a sweetener.

WHEW! That's long winded. But wait--there's more!

RE eating gluten-free, MSK, I must say that I didn't realize I had a gluten intolerance until I read it. I just KNEW that breads (for certain) and anything with flour in it bloated me and made me feel yucky. So I started avoiding those foods completely. Then I felt better. Then I read a while back that I must have an intolerance to wheat and other certain grains.

The new SP program book goes into this in detail and outlines the grains that are now in my AVOID file.

As for what I did for bread--I avoided it in all way shape and form once I knew that was what was making me feel bad. And I didn't replace it with anything. I just didn't eat bread. It wasn't long before I didn't miss it anyway. Heck, given the choice (and this all about making choices, my friend) I would MUCH rather eat a few french fries off the plate and throw the hamburger bun away! And I do that! I always eat a few fries, but never the bread or dessert.

I just made the decision in my head a long time ago that anything that makes me feel lousy isn't worth my time. So I walked away from it. There are rice breads out there, but please be aware that they are VERY high in carbs if you are monitoring them. One skimpy slice can be like 22 grams of carbs and not much fiber if any!

I do use rice bread once in a great while to make french toast, but I slice the bread in half so that it's VERY thin and then get 2 pieces instead of one. But I do not recommend this if you are really trying to lose weight as it may stall you. It's very high in carbs!

Also, I have not tried the Corn Thins mentioned previously, but I do eat NUT THINS a few times a week with cashew butter on them. This is a great treat for me if I am feeling like I need something--I guess it may be the closest thing to cravings, but it's not the same as the cravings I used to get years ago. So I really hate to call it that. Anyway, they are moderate in carbs, but add that cashew butter and it's a big number. Still, I enjoy it and I know it's not unhealthy, so I indulge and do not have any problems with them.

By the way, the only place I have found this great gluten free stuff is at Whole Foods. Trader Joe's doesn't really have any snack crackers that are gluten free, but they do have a wonderful rice bread. Again, very carby tho! Store in the fridge!

Great to see this thread getting some action! I'm going to start a new thread about MEATS, so be sure to chime in!

--Betty

Last edited by TheBetty : Thu, Feb-03-05 at 12:35. Reason: Left off a letter in a proper name!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 16:31

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 235/000/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 276%
Default to The Betty

Betty, can you give me an idea of how closely you followed SP? Were you strict about everything? Like coffee? alcohol? supplements? What about exercise? I desperately need to follow some kind of low car plan; I am insulin-resistant. I agree with you about not doing all the lab work and trying to figure all that stuff out---and I'm an RN, lol!

Any help you can give me will be most greatly appreciated.

Ann
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 12:32

BF:
Thumbs up

Ann, I wish you the best in your efforts! You can read my journal for a lot of helpful stuff that I've shared over the past few years. Just click on the JOURNAL button at the bottom of this entry.

I don't do exactly what Dr. S says b/c I have customized the plan to my own life, which is exactly what everyone should do. I don't drink much caffeine at all. I tend to only have it once in a while and usually in the form of jasmine tea either white or green. Sometimes I do have a cup of coffee, but VERY rarely since caffeine sends me to the moon!

I eat well 95% of the time, and the rest I enjoy a treat now and then. I have never given up Mexican food since it's part of my life , altho I have given up the chips 99%. Once in a great while I will have the lady bring a very small serving of chips with bean dip and salsa, for instance. Then I'm good for a year! But when I eat MexiFood, whether at home or out (which is about 3-4 times a week), I do order things that have been fried such as tostados which the corn tortilla is fried. And sometimes I eat chimichangas (fried burritos) with no rice, just meat and cheese. I always order a la cart, no rice and beans, but will still eat beans that are ON the items. I do eat beans once in a while, but I just don't have that much room to eat all that anymore. RE chimis--I don't do that often since I can't eat wheat (think flour tortilla) without paying for it a bit the next day or even that night. I have a gluten intolerance.

RE alcohol... I do have a few sips of non-alcoholic wine (Ariel) now and then. But when I cook with wine I use the real stuff since it's only $2 a bottle at Trader Joe's! The alcohol cooks off, so I don't worry. I chose not to drink alcohol when I became a Christian 17 years ago, long before I started eating healthy, so this is not an issue for me to worry about. Your mileage may vary.

I take a LOT of supplements , but things that I have worked out for myself, not that I have read in SP books. I have taken most of these for a long time, but have added a few others here and there such as the L-Lysine and MSM this past year, and the year before I added Alpha Lipoic Acid, but the rest I have taken from the beginning.

I currently take 9 sups in the morning (see below), then vitamin C crystals (from Trader Joe's, dirt cheap) with lunch in my beverage, and sometimes at breakfast too). At lunch and also at bedtime, I take a Costco Kirkland brand Calcium Citrate, which is cheap and you get Vitamin D, Magnesium and Zinc, all VERY important for those of us who've been overweight and are eating lower carb.

In the morning I take one each of these, despite the fact that some of the brands recommend more than one--I figure one is better than nothing--and cheaper than 2! Since my husband ALSO takes these, it can be very expensive, but well worth it:

1. Chromium GTF (Glucose Tolerance Factor) (This is NOT picolinate, but a better and more expensive form of Chromium, I use SOLGAR brand.)

2. Super B-Complex from Costco (Nature Made).

3. Coenzyme Q10 from Costco 50mg.

4. Flax Oil Capsule from Trader Joe's.

5. Potassium Gluconate 550mg from Costco (Nature Made).

6. Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg from Trader Joe's.

7. L-Lysine 500mg from Costco (Nature Made).

8. High Energy Premium Performance Multivitamin & Mineral Supplement Kirland Brand from Costco.

9. MSM 1000mg from Costco (Nature's Origin brand).

I joke with my husband that I'm looking for more and more sups to take, like I'm on a mission to have 1/2 cup of sups to take daily. He just looks at me like I'm nuts, but we both know I'm totally joking. The good side is that I need to drink half a bottle of water just to get em all down!

I also try to get some real Flax seeds on daily in something, either sprinkled on salad or into other items. Real is always better than supplements, but supplements are just that--to supplement the real stuff. TIP: A friend of mine recently told me about a FLAX MILL which is used like a pepper mill but made just for flax, so I plan to get one of those this weekend if I think of it. It's made by OXO.

I think my number one *tip* for getting healthy with whole foods would be to LIVE your life and not think of this way of eating as a diet, but rather a lifetime plan! Otherwise when you do eat something that you have *forbidden* yourself from, when you think of it in those NEGATIVE terms, you will not succeed!!! But if you think of this is as a lifetime change, you can have that crappy stuff now and then and not get all freaked about it, you will have made it a success for yourself.

In the very beginning I avoided any kind of processed sugar so as to rid my body of the cravings. And it worked! I did not 'self medicate' (I hate that term!) as Dr. S advocated in her 2nd and 3rd books. I just avoided the sugar. But as I healed, I eventually was able to eat a little honey here and there. And now I even use a little black molasses to sweeten things that I bake, just a Tablespoon or two and that's it. But if I'm not careful, this can make me tired, and when ya get tired you can get cravings and even stall your weight loss.

Weight loss is a GREAT side effect of eating well. But I started to naturally lose more weight about a year ago. I just stuck with it and didn't let the loss be my focus, just one day at a time eating well. And I didn't even hafta focus on the eating, it comes naturally when you ONLY have GOOD STUFF around you! Purge the house and go for it!

I hope this helps you, Ann. As I said above, read my journal for the details along the way. If you get bored, there are others who have journals to read also.

AND DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN EATING PREPACKAGED FAKE FOODS like low carb bars and Atkins bake mix crap. That stuff is FAKE food and will be just as bad as eating potato chips. Eat whole foods, avoid processed foods, you will do AWESOME!

Forgot to add that I have exercised from the beginning. It started out that I was swimming, then eventually I began walking around, then I got a new treadmill and began *hiking* on it using the incline feature. So in the warm months (April to October) I swim, then I walk the rest of the time. I also began bicyling, but it's a little harder for me. I have built up my legs and stamina however, in the past few months and am ready in March to try bicycling a little more seriously again. You have GOT to mover each day. I only seriously workout 30 mins a day, that's it! But I do move a lot otherwise, especially on weekends.

--Betty

Last edited by TheBetty : Thu, Feb-10-05 at 12:35. Reason: Forgot something!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 17:15

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%

I also like the SPP book. It's very readable and I'm taking my time to read it through and think about what's written. Dr. S is a sound practitioner...imo.