Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 07:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Good luck finding the right doctor happygrrl. I did some research on the net and found that there is a female gyn here in St. Louis at one of the hospitals associated with Washington University Medical School, who specializes in PCOS. After the endocrinologist I think that is our next step. Do you live near a medical center associated with a medical school? Perhaps you can find a doctor with a specialty who is up to date on reasearch and advances in the field. You might ask your next doctor about the need to take Provera every month. The last thing we were told by a gyn was that "for uterine health" they recommend you have your period every three months min. It can get so confusing if you hear different things from each doctor.
The spacing and frequency of my daughter's periods are encouraging. I can't say exactly what has caused them to begin again but my guess is that she is insulin intolerant and the 40 grams of carbs she eats daily is low enough to keep the insulin from causing hormonal imbalances. She is really not losing any weight and I am at a lose to figure out why. She is only 5 ft tall and weights about 135. My guess is that she has about 20 pounds to lose. Pedictably it is mostly in her stomach area. So in answer to your question, I would say that she is getting better based on the way she is eating and that we are going to need more info to figure out how she can lose some weight.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 08:45

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

It does seem odd that a 15 year old that weighs only 135 isn't losing more on 30-40 carbs a day...I lost weight so easy at that age...that leads me to believe she does have an insulin issue(defiantly something that needs to be checked by doctor)...Since her periods are more on schedule and as long as she is holding at her current weight and not gaining...Does she exercise? I had a issue with a pudgey tummy in 7th-8th grade...I was 5'4" and weighed 130-138...Once I started walking 1-2 miles a day I dropped down to 128(but still had a bit of a pudge) I know some people are built like that and it may take special exercise to get rid of any excess fat...Let me know whats going on with her exercise...I wish you the most of luck with your daughters health.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default A bit of a long One

Hi WendyLynn! and Happygrrl

I have been following your thread here as I am interested to know how your daughter is making out. I really suffered with my periods from the onset at around fourteen. I was thinking of typing in my whole long story but I won't just now.
I had not heard of PCOS until a few years ago, I was suprised as I had most of the symptons as well. I know you have probably looked into all the PCOS sites and gotyen some good information ,I just wanted to see if you knew about this one. I recommend it for all women.
http://www.johnleemd.com

The sad news is that I just went to find Dr Lee's site and found that he had passed away suddenly last fall from a heart attack, how tragic and upsetting. He was an outstanding voice for the battle against HRT for women. He advocates natural progesterone and avoiding soy in our diets.
He has a few books out and one is "What your doctor won't tell you about premenopause". Now I realize that is a little premature for your daughter but what he talks about is Estrogen Dominance and its effects. I highly recommend every women to go and check out his site or books. I searched a bit on his site for teenagers but I did not find anything in particular! I know the info can still apply though.
I went on the pill at at around seventeen, still suffered with heavy painful periods (although regular). Ya regular pain! I found out around age twenty eight that the "pill" I was on was the same potency as the one .05 estrogen (I believe) that was causing blood clots and strokes in young women in the sixties and seventies. So I quit cold turkey!
I have a twelve year old daughter myself and I am just not sure what I will suggest she use for birth control, but I sure wish there were a better option than the pill.
I'm not great at expressing myself in type but I would like to hear what you think of Dr. Lee's research.
I also went on Natural Progesterone a few years ago and a few of the things it helped with were, calming me, lessened anxiety, facial hair diminished( especially the long soft down on the sides of my cheeks) My skin smoothed out as well. It was like it helped my feminimity to come back around.
Even do a search for Estrogen Dominance! It has many of the same symptons as PCOS and guess what low-carb is part of the answer.

Look forward to your replies. Kelly
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 16:54

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I just wanted to let you know that I have been on this WOL for 11 weeks on Sunday and I have lost a total of 40 pounds and I started my menstrual cycle the other day...It really worked...I didn't think it would since I was at this weight before and had the same problems but it did...I am having my TOM...Woo Hoo