Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 13:59

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 311/219.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default How to get outta my gym phobia!!?

Okay, well I singed up for a 1 year subscription to the local anytime fitness...which is a wonderful gym, I must say..however ACTUALLY going is my problem. Everytime I'm there, there are gorgeous men frolicking around with their tight wife beaters on and it always seems as if they're staring at me or something..makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable..all I want to do is turn right around and leave. Wish I could just put my ipod on and avoid them but I'm so anxious that's all im worried about...its ridiculous!! i hate it. I have GOT to figure a way out to get past this so I can make use of the 45 bucks a month I'm shelling out..ANy ideas of suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 19:35

Plan: Atkins/SouthBeach
Stats: 218/205/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Well at first any environment is always a bit uncomfortable! I can remember feeling that with the first gym I started at. Then I had to switch gyms and felt that uncomfortable feeling again....for me it was a matter of consistent attendance..i tried the early a.m. for a while, (not many people were there), then I found a partner to go with, and now I just go and do what I gotta do...it was about getting comfortable and staying focused on me.

Hope this helps! So what kind of workouts are u planning on?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 07:45

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 311/219.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well, Id definitely like to do some cardio..at least 30 minutes a day and then some strength training dispersed every other day..it's just the getting up and going that I'm having trouble with.I love my sleep too much. For example, I went to bed at 10 pm last night intending on getting up at 5am to workout before work..but did I? nope. Gotta quit being so frickin lazy..ugh. I'm just gonna suck it up and do it. If I can go an entire week or 2 doing it consistently, it'll become a habit...that's the goal at least! The workout buddy is a great idea..if only I could find one.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 07:57
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Just do it.

The first time is the hardest so get it over with. After that you won't think much about it and neither will they.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 08:12

Plan: Atkins/SouthBeach
Stats: 218/205/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Agree w/ Zuilieka! Once its done its done...and yeah that habit thing will soon kick in until then its all mental! Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 12:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Have some music that makes you want to move ready to play when it's time to get ready to go. Start visualizing yourself as you want to be. It's been my experience that most people in gyms are more concerned with how they look more than how anyone else looks. Everyone goes to get a better body, not to judge who might be there that day. When you have some free time at home, have fitness magazines ready to look at, or books on proper lifting ready to study. Start seeing the gym as the place where your fitness goals are achieved. Not where you are being judged by anyone else except yourself.
So...just get up, get your mind in the right place, and your body will follow. Wishing you the best of experiences always.