Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 14:32

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just started getting the Carlson lemon fish oil and I think for the first time I can actually say something is helping my aches and pains! I never got any effect like that from the capsules.

Interesting... I think the Jarrow Formulas oil that I am going to be starting on soon is about the same strength, so I hope I will notice the same kind of effect on my slightly arthritic fingers...

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-09, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 261/251/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:

My last BP check was 98/54
It's foolish to take meds with bp that low. Especially the low number. That is dangerous and should not be lowered any further. Why treat a disease you don't have?
be well&
Happy New Year!!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 08:45

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
They? They couldn't diagnose a flea on a dog's nose. I do all my own research, and it's extensive and deep. My diagnoses are often right on the money, and the treatment usually works. Once I've fixed the problem, I explain it all to my doctor.

That could definitely be a contributing factor, since the adrenal gland regulates cortisol, which regulates adrenaline and thus, BP. I hope everything turns out okay for him!

Lisa

DHs doc totally pooh poohed any connection and just upped his meds. My hub thinks all docs know everything so he won't pursue it. Oh well, I can't force him to do anything. I am just sick of listening to him whine about his BP issues and then is unwilling to try anything different.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 09:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
My own experience has been that neither cutting sodium, nor eating low-carb had the slightest effect on my BP. With meds, it's down to 145/80 which is still too high (but much better than the 230/105 it started at), but I can't tolerate some of the classes of meds (specifically beta blockers) so it'll have to do. Also, dropping 40+ lbs and exercising didn't seem to help any either! So much for cause & control theories!

I've had a similar experience. Neither cutting sodium or losing 100 pounds or eating low carb has had the least bit of effect on my blood pressure. But in my reading I've found that high BP can be another symptom of hypothyroidism. So I do have hope that if I can get the thyroid doses right for my Hashimoto's disease I may see an improvement.

Already one little indication, even though I'm still just on an "introductory" thyroid dose. Went for my GYN exam a couple weeks ago and my BP reading was 130/85 which is normal for what I get at home with my own BP machine - but at the doctor's I usually get a reading more like 160/90. So maybe the thyroid meds *are* helping a bit.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Ubiquinol WILL help DH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
DHs doc totally pooh poohed any connection and just upped his meds. My hub thinks all docs know everything so he won't pursue it. Oh well, I can't force him to do anything. I am just sick of listening to him whine about his BP issues and then is unwilling to try anything different.

I hear you. However, you don't need a doctor to research ubiquinol on the net all by yourself to see how crucial it is for high BP patients. And you certainly don't need a doctor to order it. Get some 200mg gel caps cheap from Swanson Vitamins and give DH 1 every morning, and 1 every evening. In six weeks his BP will drop enough that his doc will have to lower his meds. In a few months more he may well be off all of them. If you have any questions, right-click my 'user name' and read some of my past posts on the issue.

Good luck and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you both!

Lisa
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 18:03

BF:

Lisa - I wish! I have tried to get him to take different supps and he refuses. I don't have an MD after my name and I am just playing doctor ya know
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 18:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe if you start wearing a white coat and a scope draped round your neck he'll listen up better.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 21:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Maybe if you start wearing a white coat and a scope draped round your neck he'll listen up better.

he'd probably try to turn it into a nurse fantasy
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 21:13

BF:

Quote:
I hear you. However, you don't need a doctor to research ubiquinol on the net all by yourself to see how crucial it is for high BP patients. And you certainly don't need a doctor to order it. Get some 200mg gel caps cheap from Swanson Vitamins and give DH 1 every morning, and 1 every evening. In six weeks his BP will drop enough that his doc will have to lower his meds. In a few months more he may well be off all of them.

Maybe. I took ubiquinol for six months without any change in BP except an increase. After 3-4 months on it my DR. insisted I go on BP meds (which I had been resisting) as my BP was getting higher and higher.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Maybe. I took ubiquinol for six months without any change in BP except an increase. After 3-4 months on it my DR. insisted I go on BP meds (which I had been resisting) as my BP was getting higher and higher.
Mitochondria-Targeted Antioxidant MitoQ10 Improves
Endothelial Function and Attenuates Cardiac Hypertrophy
this research found this new form of Mitochondrial targeted Q10 is effective in reducing Blood Pressure. (in rats).
I don't know if you've Thought about how to improve your mitochondrial function I've been fascinated by the role of mitochondria and the way they effect the use of omega 3 and can change vitamin D3 into the active hormone calcidiol.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 07:55
Registered Member

Default Ubiquinol can NOT raise BP!

Quote:
I took ubiquinol for six months without any change in BP except an increase. After 3-4 months on it my DR. insisted I go on BP meds (which I had been resisting) as my BP was getting higher and higher.

Deb, was it ubiquinol or ubiquinone? And how much did you take? Also, you had an unknown hypothyroid condition that plays havoc with BP, so my guess is you weren't taking anywhere near enough.

Ubiquinol can NOT raise BP! If you don't take enough it may not lower it, but it cannot ever raise it. If your BP rose it was due to your untreated (and at that time, undiagnosed) Hashi's.

Lisa
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 11:31

BF:

Quote:
Deb, was it ubiquinol or ubiquinone? And how much did you take? Also, you had an unknown hypothyroid condition that plays havoc with BP, so my guess is you weren't taking anywhere near enough.

Ubiquinol can NOT raise BP! If you don't take enough it may not lower it, but it cannot ever raise it. If your BP rose it was due to your untreated (and at that time, undiagnosed) Hashi's.

It was Life Extension Super Ubiquinol 100mg gelcaps. I said further up the thread that I suspected the thyroid problem with Hashi's was a cause as my BP *has* dropped since I've been on thyroid meds. So I'm not making any claim that Ubiquinol raised my BP, merely saying that taking some didn't lower it either.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 15:23
Registered Member

Quote:
It was Life Extension Super Ubiquinol 100mg gelcaps.

At that strength you would have needed 4 gel caps a day, minimum, to see results. Maybe 6 a day. Not forever, but for the first two months at least. Given the undiagnosed Hashi's, it might not have got you down to complete normal, but you would have been very close.

Quote:
I said further up the thread that I suspected the thyroid problem with Hashi's was a cause as my BP *has* dropped since I've been on thyroid meds.

Ah, thanks - I must have missed that. If T4 is the right (and only) thyroid med for you, you should be able to be off your BP meds within a few months. I hope so.

Quote:
I'm not making any claim that Ubiquinol raised my BP

I think it might be inferred from your: "I took ubiquinol for six months without any change in BP except an increase."

Lisa