Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 20:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Look at the gooey sticky stuff in a raw egg.
That's cholesterol.It's hard to believe that a
lot of that stuff in your blood is good.
I personally am comfortable with total cholesterol around 170 but that's me.
Eddie

The only problem with that line of thinking, eddie, is that plaques in arteries are not made up of cholesterol.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 21:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The gooey sticky stuff in egg is proteins.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 21:35

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

If I ate food based upon what it looks like, I'd have never eaten lobster!
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 23:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
Cholesterol 271 mg/dL (90-200)
HDL Cholesterol 86 mg (>40-)
LDL-C 171 mg/dL (0-100)

Everything else was in range.

I had these test results after a Meat and Egg diet. However, I had high test results this summer also, after a lower carb (about 12 net a day) which did include vegetables (spinach).

My doctor said he will take results again in about 4 months and then if they are still high, will give me Lipitor.

Of course, he wants me to have a low fat diet.

Any thoughts?

I thought I read somewhere that cholesterol is only about 10% diet, with other factors contribtuting to cholesterol levels (stress-related, genetic, etc.)

I hav been under lots of stress lately.

Thanks for the input.

If you feel comfortalbe with your results, then do nothing. Cholesterol from food does not get absorbed much, type of fat make difference in LDL and HDL so may be you can add some olive oil and nuts to your diet, if you want to lower CHO. Diet is indeed important, and my cholesterol is indeed linear to sat. fat intake, but again, YMMV. I never heard of stress causing high CHO, genetics do play role. If you could do meat and eggs only, may be you can do fish, nuts, and veggies for few months and see if you CHO drops a little. Just a thought.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 23:51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48

"high" blood pressure does indeed lead to stroke with weakened blood vessels. BUT what is HIGH for one person may be considered NORMAL for another, at least in relation to stroke risk.

CindySue,
I am very interested to hear more about variability in BP (high/low) in different individuals. My DH is on a higher side of normal, he has kidney stones also, so I am trying to get his BP under control without BP lowering meds, but not very successfull so far. He is not obese, may be 10 pounds over, has physically demanding job, on his feet all day, and plays sports.

Quote:
So yes, high BP does lead to the stroke, but if the blood vessles are weak enough then the BP levels can be "normal" but still a person is at risk.

So, are you saying that one with high CHO has less chances to get ISC than someone with low CHO and fragile blood vessels, when the BP is similar? I am still debating whether he should start BP lowering meds because of the side effects, but seeing high normal numbers makes me worry. His mother also had and still had higher BP but no stroke or heart attack in his family.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 07:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
CindySue,
I am very interested to hear more about variability in BP (high/low) in different individuals. My DH is on a higher side of normal, he has kidney stones also, so I am trying to get his BP under control without BP lowering meds, but not very successfull so far. He is not obese, may be 10 pounds over, has physically demanding job, on his feet all day, and plays sports.
You might want to add in some vitamin D, calcium and magnesium. The combo lowers bp naturally.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 10:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
So, are you saying that one with high CHO has less chances to get ISC than someone with low CHO and fragile blood vessels, when the BP is similar?
I am saying that you don't know how strong or fragile your blood vessels may be until your BP goes "too high".

Too high for you may be a significantly lower level than too high for me. One person may stroke at a systolic of 180, another person may be fine at 200.

Cholesterol helps keep your blood vessels healthy (among other things). Healthy means strong and flexible. If your body doesn't have enough cholesterol to keep your blod vessels healthy that could lower your threshold.

I tend to run rather low BP. I've been as low as 70/systolic with no signs of any problems (but the docs freaked!). I rarely go over or even into the 130s. Now, if you checked my BP while I was agitated, it would likely be significantly higher....maybe too high for some.

It's the combination of the 2. Higher BP with healthy blood vessels isn't as dangerous as the same BP with weak, fragile blood vessels. If you keep your BP low enough you're unlikely to have a stroke, regarless of your vessel strength. But again, "low enough" could be too low for you to function.

Look at people that have a arterio-venous malformation. (AVM). When these are discovered, usually in a "leaking" state, the number one thing they try to do is lower the blood pressure. They know that these vessels are more fragile and higher BP is more likely to cause a rupture before they can get in and repair it.

Unfortunately few of us (if any) can tell how fragile or strong our blood vessels are. But since cholesterol is a main ingredient in the structure of blood vessels, it makes sense that blood vessel structure would suffer when cholesterol levels are low.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
You might want to add in some vitamin D, calcium and magnesium. The combo lowers bp naturally.
yes, and CoQ10 also.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 15:29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa

You missed the kidney stones part, it is calcium oxalate. We tried differenty supplements: vitamins, calcium/magnesium and Vit.D with the same results.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 15:31
Registered Member

Quote:
yes, and CoQ10 also.

he takes CQ10 daily, 150 mg, no changes.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 15:41
Registered Member

Quote:
I am saying that you don't know how strong or fragile your blood vessels may be until your BP goes "too high".

Too high for you may be a significantly lower level than too high for me. One person may stroke at a systolic of 180, another person may be fine at 200.

It is true, I was always on low side (90/60) for most of my life, now I am more 110-120/60-70, and I also no longer suffer from low BP migranes.
But in hteory, the higher BP is - than it is more damaging to blood vessels, unless, we know what is the threshold, and currently it is set to 120/80.

Quote:
Cholesterol helps keep your blood vessels healthy (among other things). Healthy means strong and flexible. If your body doesn't have enough cholesterol to keep your blod vessels healthy that could lower your threshold.

BP raises when blood vessels lose flexibility, true, but cholesterol helps indirectly to keep them flexible. I believe age and more so steroid hormones make difference in flexibility of our blood vessels, but since they are made of cholesterol, it sort of helps. Cholesterol also helps to repair but the question remains: which is worse: having high/normal BP or suffer from side effects of BP meds.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 18:44

Quote:
which is worse: having high/normal BP or suffer from side effects of BP meds.
I think only the person involved can make that decision. BP meds are usually for life. It's rare for them to be discontinued, although it does happen.

Many people take BP meds with few or no side effects. Others have serious side effects from most if not all. But you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you can tolerate the drug and taking it allows you to not worry about your BP, fine. But if you have side effects, even if considered "minor", change the picture.

For a parent having to make that choice for their child? All you can do is your best. Try and find out as much as you can and weigh the benefits and risks. If the BP isn't too high you should be able to try some non-medication treatments first. Restricitng salt, meditation, exercise, weight loss....all (and others) have some effect in lowering BP. But if the BP is considered dangerously high, take the meds AND work on changes so maybe the meds are short-term.