Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 20:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default I can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-lo carb
Eat more fat around your workouts!!!!

TRY coconut oil-I swear it gives you energy right away and lasts forever. I'd eat fatty meat an hour or so before you work out, then drink, or however you take it, the coconut oil 20 minutes before you work out. . . . Can you have coffee?

I have a little bit of coconut oil... I'll try that. I've made 'mints' with coconut oil, splenda and mint flavor. Doesn't work great since the splenda doesn't seem to be soluble in the oil... but I can deal with it. I store them in the freezer and pop them like candy (when I take the time to make them. It has been a few months).

I can do coffee with morning practices. In the afternoons, I try to avoid caffeine. Has a tendency to keep me up all night.

I will try coconut oil.... or bacon. Both sound yummy. One just doesn't need to be cooked.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if it helps.

zodea
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-08, 08:08

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

The biggest thing here is that if you are just starting out with very low, to no cards, then you simply need time to adjust to using the fat more efficiently. This also goes for ketones. Your body will need a little time to adjust to using these as well. Stick with it, it will happen soon enough.

I'm also of the belief that naturally occurring animal fats are the best choice. We raise a few hundred head of livestock and keep plenty of fresh pig and beef in the freezer. Bacon and salt pork rules!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-08, 02:11
Registered Member

Plan: High fat with IF
Stats: 143/132/130 Female 66 inches
BF:25%/23.5%/20%
Progress: 85%

I do the coconut oil and coffee thing sometimes and it works great for me but then, I have been fat adapted for a long time. Just recently, I fasted on only water for 24 hours and around the 20 hour mark found enough energy for 1/2 hour intense Olympic lifting, 1 hour intense badminton and 1/2 hour lazy swimming - all back to back. So trust me, give yourself time to fat-adapt and you'll be humming along.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 03:58

Plan: not sure
Stats: 144/136/136 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi guys. Im new to your website but have been on fairly strict low carb for 5 months.
With regards to this discussion about our fuel derived from protein, can anyone tell me how fast protein can fuel our energy output.
I understand carbs act very quickly but how quickly is our fat/ protein intake utilised?