Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 254/254/195 Female 5ft11"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default TOM - Worstening fibroids on LC? For women only

I was just wondering if anybody hre had seen their fibroids worsten on Low Carb. After six weeks of low carbing I ended yup in the ER due to pain from an existing fibroid. They also could not find a cyst that I know I had on my right ovary and I am pretty sure that it burst - even if the ER people were not listening to me on that - but they did not have my previous scans, showing a one inch cycst on my right ovary.

I know that on low carb estrogen is released from the fat cells, where it is sometimes stored. But can this release actually be dangerous to someone with fibroids? Seen that there seems to be a connection between fibroid growth and excess estrogen.

Anyway, my experience might have nothing to do with LC. But just curious, as I am also having some other symptoms that I had years ago when I attempted to take the pill i.e. pre-flebitis symptoms in the veins in my legs. Both times I tried to take the pill in my twenties I ened up in hospital with flebitis- hence I cannot take hormonal contraceptives. So just wonedring here if this estrogen relaese might be dangerous for people like me.

Also wondering: does this not get released in other forms of diet? Why would a low cal diet not produce a release of stored estrogen from cells.

If any of you have any comments on all this or have experienced something similar, I will be very interested to hear about it. In the meantime I have upped my carbs to 40/50 a day- I am actually loosing better this way than on induction level carbs and I think higher carbs is a bit gentler on my body.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 16:18

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi,
I had a fiberoid removed this past summer. but I don't think that it was due to low carb diet. Their very slow growing tumors & mine was about golf ball sized & bleed like crazy. I was showing signs for a while but didn't realize it.

Josie
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 07:13

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

The cyst could have just evaporated, they do that and this could be why it was no longer seen. That's also why drs. usually take a wait and see approach to ovarian cysts.

I can't imagine that it could make the fibroids worse, but what the low carb could be doing is making you notice the pain more because of a lack of serotonin production.

Hope you feel better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 09:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fat cells "produce" estrogen. Low carb doesn't do anything else with estrogen so far as I'm aware of. That's why being overwieght can increase your chances of having blood clots, since its increased with estrogen.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 10:37

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Low cal doesn't burn fat the same way

Not sure about how all the estrogen works except that I've heard again and again that high body fat messes with it.

Bodies are burning more fat on LC so it's not surprising there are different fat-release effects than low cal.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 10:43
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your replies :-)! The pain has fortunately now gone...touch wood it will stay gone. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life- worst that passing a kidney stone...

Nancy LC...I thought that as fat cells shrink they released that excess estrogen that they produce, hence the many people with irregular TOM when low carbing - at least at the beginning. I was wondering if that release of estrogen into the system due to fat cells letting go of it as the fat is burned during ketosis, might cause a worstening of fibroids. Most likely it doesn't, since otherwise it would not just be me with this problem! Thanks for your raply :-) I am going to look into this estrogen /fat connection to understand exactly how it works :-)

#7   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:

Josiemk

when you had your fibroid removed, how did they do it? And , if you do not mind sharing, how big was your fibroid? I might have to have mine removed to and the word hysterctomy has been floating around. I really do not want to have a hysterectomy at 37 years old if I can avoid it. Curious to know what procedure they used to remove yours and how that worked for you...only if you do not mind sharing. I know these things are rather intimate stuff :-) and probably off topic with low carbing...

#8   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 13:24
Registered Member

BF:

Nancy LC

all good information there and food for thought :-) Thank you for taking the time to reply :-) This estrogen/hormone dynamics are very interesting - thanks for the article snippet. So much to learn :-)

And yes, the 40/50 carbs is working wonders for me. I was not loosing and feeling very lousy with terrible constipation at 20 carbs. I felt my whole body was straining. When I got sick with the fibroid fever/pain I upped my carbs to 40/50 and have been loosing steadily and effortlessly since - I have added the extra carbs only as veggies and berries- and BM has become regular too. It is working very well for me :-)

#9   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 22:18

BF:

Carblight,
My fiberoid was in my uterus. It was about the size of a golf ball. It looked like it took up most of my uterus. I thought I was going to have a hysterectomy but they were able to go up the vaginal & cut it out. They put me to sleep & it was a 20 minute procedure & I went home latter that day. Some people are able back to work a couple of days latter. The procedure is an easy one from what I heard but it took me a while to recover because a month before the surgery I had lost alot of blood from the bleeding & became very anemic.
BTW I was 35 when I had it removed & they said I developed this tumor cause of my age & cause I never been pregnant before.
I hope this wasn't to graphic to you all.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 15:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thans Josiemk

mine is 2.5 inches across- like a tangerine and also in my uterus. Good to know there are alternatives to a hysterectomy. And thank you so much for sharing the details, it is really helpful :-)

#11   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 15:56

BF:

Carblight,
So yours is little bigger then mine. Bless your heart you poor thang. I feel for you, and I just thought I was having bad PMS. I was too ashamed to go see a dr about it. I definely urge you to do something soon. I nearly bleed to death before I would see a Dr. & it could have lead to many other complications as well.

BTW I noticed that your B-day is the day before mine. I'm hoping that I reached my goal by my B-day which is July 7.

Josie
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 22:53

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

CARBLIGHT...there are many other alternatives to the hysterectomy for the fibroids... They can insert a tube and cut off the blood flow to it which kills it...reduce it by reducing a particular hormone (can't remember name), and several other options... Do a search on the internet "alternatives to hysterectomy for fibroids." I used Progesterone Cream and it helped mine... HAVING THE HYSTERECTOMY WILL THROW U INTO MENOPAUSE... REMEMBER...SURGEONS DO SURGERY, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RECOMMEND A NONSURGICAL APPROACH... YOU HAVE TO RESEARCH THE METHODS YOURSELF AND DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU...I DID!

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Fri, May-20-05 at 22:56. Reason: OTHER ALTERNATIVES TO HYSTERECTOMY...
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 12:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Skeeweeaka

that is exactly what i plan to do. A hysterectomy at 37 years old sounds rather extreme and I will explore all other avenues before having it done. Interesting to see more than one person dealing with these issues in other ways. It is encouraging :-)!

#14   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 06:00

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Hysterecomy <> menopause

Removal of the uterus will not cause menopause although it will stop your periods; it's removal of the ovaries which will bring on a surgical menopause.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 14:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

This is an old thread, but addresses concerns I'm going through now, so maybe someone will have some advice or share their experiences.

I am 50 years old. I have a tumor in/on my uterus. It was the size of a softball in February when I had an ultrasound done. It seems to have gotten bigger. It hasn't really caused much trouble yet. Other than looking 5 months pregnant and having really heavy periods, and it's effecting my bladder some also. My doctor wants to do a hysterectomy or at the least remove my uterus and tumor. He said I wouldn't have to go on HRT with just my uterus removed.
I've read where they do not want to just remove the tumor because it's difficult and can damage the uterus.
I've been using the progesterone cream since then. It helped my PMS, but the tumor is still very much there.

So does anyone have any thoughts on it? I do not want to end up with a load of problems I didn't have before. I want the trade off to be in my favor. My next appointment is a week from Thursday, I'll need to have made a decision long before then, for my own peace of mind. And to know whether to cancel my appointment or not. Thanks for any light you can shed on my situation.