Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 162/118/110 Female 63 inches
BF:29%/22%/20%
Progress: 85%
Default 57 and looking for lo-card buddy

I'm 57 and looking for a low-carb buddy. It is so slow going. I'm on Atkins and think my matabolism is just very slow. Is it me or my age or what. Any suggestions?

Moderator note: typo edited in Subject line. If you wanted the typo, please click on "Report Post" below at the left & ask to have it restored.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Aug-17-03 at 09:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 10:15

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

welcome-this is a great site for support and info. why not check out 'LC Support and Focus Groups' and then click on Elders Lounge it's a great sub forum with lots of tips and help with issues for people in our age group
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 12:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/151/140 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%
Cool Hello and welcome from Texas

Hello,
It can be slow. You have come to the right place for low carb buddys this site is full of them. The more you read on here the more ideas you will get. If you have time start a journal on here so we can see what you are eating so maybe we can help speed up the process. Be sure to check out the recipes they are wonderful.
Bye for now,
Take care
God Bless
Tina
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 09:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hey Donna

If you think you are losing slowly, take a look at my stats... must be our age, cause I dont think Im cheating at all. I am about to start cutting back on some of the saturated fats to see if that gets any results. Anyway, I'll pop in from time to time and see how you are getting on, if you learn anything new, let me know, otherewise, its the turtle club for us!!! lol
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/151/140 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

If you have not checked out fitday.com be sure to take a look, it is a great tool for counting carbs for you all day.
I know it is a lot harder after 30 to lose weight. When in my 20's it would just fall off, but I will not take this laying down, I will lose the weight even if it take a little longer.
Bye for now,
Good luck
God Bless
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:13
Registered Member

Default lo-carb buddies

It was great to hear I'm not alone in this slow weight loss. It was suggested that I go to fitday.com and keep a journal of eating habits. It so good, I think it will really help me.
I had no idea the high percentage of fat I ate each day and I plan on really cutting back. fitday.com is going to help me a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well !I will concede that I am an "elder" and also that losing 5 more lbs is soooooo slow.
I am 62 and a six days fitness nut,I run,cycle,bodypump and run stadium stairs .I am well under even the induction carbs about 12-14 a day .Still I have lost only 5lbs in 3 weeks .No ketosis.
BUT !! I will not give in to the alternatives and go back to weightwatchers where I was consuming excessive carbs (22 points) and felt horrible.
I also just gave up "estrogel"I was sick and tired of all the contradictive reporting on the pro's and cons, so now I am back to night sweats and hot flushes !!sleep only an hour at at a time ,can't wait for 4.30am so I can get up and off to the track at 5am.
Of course I,m burned out by 5 pm and so it goes on.
However if I stay at this weight forever so be it !
Ah ain't life grand??
Me an elder?? tell me it ain't so LOL.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 09:52
Registered Member

pippa26
I think 5 lbs in 3 weeks is terrific. I wish I could motivate myself to exercise more.
LOL
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:44
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Donna for your kind words.
I have been reading all the different threads this morning looking for glitches in my food intake and I have decided I am making all of the mistakes there are to be made!!
I think I am doing far too much exercise ,taking in too few calories mainly because I am not being sufficiently diverse. I keep eating the same things because I am not hungry .This is probably a curse and a blessing of Low carb. One tends to become lazy and not really look forward to "the next" meal. I have decided to eat far more vegetables,less meat and zero sugar and refined carbs which will become a low calorie and low carb WOE and that is probably the secret of the mystery especially with 10lbs or less to lose .
This post should be in the Elders section where I belong. But if I'm quiet no one will know!!
Pippa
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 07:17
Registered Member

Pippa26
I'm doing the same thing, trying to find out my mistakes in dieting. Unless you are getting sore from exercising its a good thing. I read that excercise brings on a hormone that will keep us younger longer. Be careful of not adding the wrong kind of vegetables to your diet. Since I have a high cholestral I need to cut the fat down. According to Fitday I'm 53% fat in my diet. I was a really surprised by that high percentage of fat. I've never had health problems before I was 55 years old. I'm now 57 next month and I think my body just don't work like it did when I was younger or else its just wearing out. Donna
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 08:58

BF:

Pippa

read your post with interest. I have 10lb to lose and nothing has moved for weeks and weeks. So my guess, like you, I have to really modify my diet. When I get back from vacation I am going to start over on strict induction again for 2 wks and then lower fat and meat consumption and increase veg. will see how that goes.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:17
Registered Member

BF:

Oh Donna, i smiled about not being sore. I have not had an ache free day since I ran my first marathon 12yrs ago at 50yrs! I really push myselfe but I have achieved so many goals 13 gold medals for 10k. marathon.and triathlon. Last year I learned to ocean kayak and got through 2 courses..I also take care of my 84 yr old husband who's now disabled and tow a travel trailer around camping all summer on and off. Also body pump and pilates at the gym and cycle 35km on the weekends(.I am carb resistant) ,can you exercise ok?if so what do you like to do?
I will watch the veg types as you mentioned I like eggplant, and broccoli and of course ceasar salad.I have not got into the "fitday" yet I must make the effort. Take care
pippa

Last edited by pippa26 : Tue, Aug-26-03 at 14:18.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:26
Registered Member

BF:

Chrisee, will you go off lo-carb whilst you are away? I will be interested to know .I too will be away after labour day and plan to stick as closely as I can without spoiling that "holiday feeling"I will not give up "happy hour" but I will concede the regular tonic and go to diet .I have been using soda and a lemon wedge .
We are in B.C. canada and are heading near the forest fires.Wish our fat would burn that fast eh?
Pippa
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 08:07

BF:

trouble is Pippa, I don't really fancy all that 'carb' food, anymore and seldom if ever, have trouble passing on it. But< I well may have a regular meal of mexican food whilst away, including the breads and re-fried beans... it's almost too scary to think about. Hope you have a great time in Canada, its so beautiful there and yes, if you find the secret of the flash fires in forests and can apply it to us mere mortals, let me know!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 08:15

BF:
Default calories

Just a thought, guys!!!

I was always given to believe that if you cut down on calories and exercised more, you would lose weight. I remember reading one should cut down to about 1000 to 1200 calories in order to lose easily. But now on this WOL I am told to eat almost twice that...... you know what? I am so dashed confused now, I dont know what to believe.