Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 14:20

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%
Default Why don't docs test for insulin levels?

With my excellent 20/20 hindsight, I now know that I've had an insulin problem for a long time. And, now in my late 50s, I'm very insulin resistant, and (as far as I can tell) leptin resistant, too. If, twenty years ago, I had known what I know today, I'd have been low carbing instead of drinking the "good carb / low fat" koolaid.

Way back then, in the good old bad days of low blood sugar, mood swings, depression, carb cravings and more, I must have been full, FULL of insulin. And it got worse, feeding on itself, as time went on. If only I had known then what nasty things elevated insulin can do to a body, and have done to mine!

So here's my question of the day: why don't doctors routinely test for insulin levels?

Now open for discussion.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 15:06
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Short answer: It's not an easy test to do or as cheap as measuring blood sugars.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: finding my own way
Stats: 240/169/125 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I posted this in your other thread too. I actually asked my doctor why not and this was essentially what he said, same as this link:

http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/d...ance/#diagnosis

"However, the test that most accurately measures insulin resistance, called the euglycemic clamp, is too costly and complicated to be used in most doctors’ offices. The clamp is a research tool used by scientists to learn more about glucose metabolism. If tests indicate pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance most likely is present."

Syrah, I can almost certainly echo your above post too, it applies to me the same. I wish I'd known sooner what was going on and essentially I had to figure it out myself.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 15:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

A fasting insulin test isn't a bad one to have done. Having a high fasting insulin is a sign that you're insulin resistant. It's also a cheap test. Costs about $16 if you have it done yourself.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 17:05

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

I did ask my doc and she said she would do my fasting insulin, but I didn't see the point, I know what's going on now! Ten years ago, it would have been useful information to have.

She did say, however, that she sometimes orders a fasting insulin for younger persons who need to have a wake up call. (My paraphrase, she was less diplomatic than that.) Well, if testing fasting insulin levels can serve as a wake up call, hello!?! why not do it routinely? Yes, Nancy, maybe until it's full-blown diabetes, metabolic disorders don't get no respek. Or, maybe they'd have to propose the LC solution, which goes against conventional nutrition wisdom?

If only I had known that my weight struggle was likely caused by insulin, rather than being an indication of lack of moral fiber and will power!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 19:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can still have a high fasting insulin even if you're low carb. I have that issue. I think I'm borderline diabetic.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 16:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

They know nothing about dieting, most of them will send you to a dietitian.

My current sport doctor practice a technic called prolotherapy by Ross Hauser, dextrose injection in the ligaments and tendons, he was the first one to put me on a high protein, moderate fat and low carb diet. Telling me that my body needed that protein to repair itself.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 18:58
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

To muddy the waters, it's often the case low-carbers have an FBS of 100 or greater, especially in the morning. I am one of those but my A1c is normal and spot tests with my glucose meter read 88 - 90 so I am not worried. I think fasting has finally healed my insulin resistance.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 09:19

Plan: mine
Stats: -/-/- Male 178
BF:
Progress: 100%

Most people who self-diagnose themselves as having high levels of insulin because of what they're have read in mainstream nutrition books, actually have perfectly normal levels of insulin.
There are a lot of misconceptions about insulin.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I think fasting has finally healed my insulin resistance.

It sure does !!!!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting