Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Smile I'm new too!!!

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am on day 4 of induction. I am in Australia by the way. I just have a question to ask. Does anyone know if it is ok to low-carb while you are breast feeding. I have a 5wk old baby. I can only find info that says dont do it if you are pregnant. I can find any reference to breast feeding though. Hope you can help
Thanks
Tracie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 15:43

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Welcome Tracie,

Always good to see more people form down-under! I'm from NZ and new too - only been doing this for just over a week.

How is your progress?

Sorry can't help with the breast feeding issue, maybe one of the old hands can help.

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 16:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Breastfeeding

Hi Tracie, and welcome. There was a discussion a while back on pregnancy and breastfeeding as it relates to Low Carbing.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=&threadid=3840

If you'd like more info, try the search button at the top of the page, it's very useful.

Congrats on your baby, and on your weight loss!

Keep up the good work,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 18:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Tracie, welcome aboard

Congrats on your baby (girl or boy?? ) .. and congrats for getting right into Induction.

Yes, it's safe to lowcarb while breastfeeding ... ketones do not pass into the breast milk. Make sure you're drinking lots of water though, to keep your kidneys flushed. And make sure too that you are eating enough protein ... 0.5g per lb of ideal body weight but no LESS than 60gm per day. And make sure to have a good protein source at breakfast. This will keep your reserves up, since I assume you're feeding baby on-demand?

The usual supplements are in order too, as well as extra calcium, magnesium and potassium. (minimum 1200mg per day of Cal).

It would be wise to avoid artificially sweetened foods that contain aspartame, since it breaks down in the body to phenylalinine and aspartic acid. Phenylalanine DOES enter breastmilk, and can be harmful to the baby.

All the best to you, and keep us posted how you're doing.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Thank you & a couple more questions please.

Thanks for the replies, I have been having a diet coke every now and then and I also got some sugar free gum yesterday (berry flavour, awsome!!!) Is it ok to have the gum, I had lost 9.9 pounds up until day five and I weighed my self this morning only to find I had gone up a kilo which is 2.2pounds. Is it normal to have such weight fluctuations? Should I only weigh once a week.

Oh, and I had a boy (my third), I was telling a friend the other day that it was my aim to be the only person in the house who likes the toilet seat down!!!!

I hope you can reply to my questions.

Thank you
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 04:03

Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Welcome Tracie. I am in New Zealand. Just spent 2 weeks in Oz-Northern Queensland. It was fantastic but I put on 3 kg while enjoying myself ! Now I am back on Atkins induction.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 18:36

Default Another NZer

Hi eeBee

Great to find another Kiwi. So far I have only found you and Bloom. How is it in Dunedin today. It's terrific in Wellington

Isn't it a pain that we have to recover after holidays. I'm off to Oz at the end of the year for two weeks, and I really want to lose heaps before then, so I don't feel like a complete hippo in my swimsuit!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 02:14

BF:

Hi! Dunedin is basking in lovely spring weather today. I was in Wellington last week my daughter lives there-i love it.
I think NZ is a bit behind on the low carbing. But- I was pleased to find that Woolworths are selling EAS Advantage low carb products. I bought some of the bars and the shakes which are really good. The bars declare 2.5 grams of carbs but using the hidden carb calculator on this site it seems they actually have 14!No use for induction but probably useful eventually. The drinks are kosher though.
I tried to lose weight for my holidays but failed. Sometimes having a deadline date can be a bit of a snare-better to just take the time it takes without the added pressure of a timeline. Anyway good luck and please keep posting here.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 05:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi eebee

I spent my honeymoon in North Qld - Port Douglas, is was a beautiful spot. We did so much while we were up there. Did you do a tour of the Daintree etc?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 15:30

thanks eebee good to hear about Woolworths. I haven't found any anywhere and was wondering if NZ had anything. Woollies is not widespread in Wellington, but I 'll track one down and have a good nosey.

Tracie - I agree North Queensland is lovely. We were in Cairns/PortDouglas/Daintree about 18 months ago and absolutely adored it.

We are going to Rockhampton/Airlie Beach this year in December. I can't wait!

With the tradgedy in the States at the moment all this LC stuff seems so trivial.

Lesley
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 04:00

BF:

It certainly puts weight loss stuff in perspective. Seems ridiculous to be bothering about this when so much more important issues are developing. Its is so unbelievable-when I woke to it today I thought they must be reviewing a film or a civil disaster rehearsal was being described. Can't take it in still.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 09:42

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy You think NZ is behind in Low Carb

Eebee
I have been doing the Low carb thing for over a month and am yet to find any Low Carb products. I have found sugarfree sweets and chocolate , which have proved to be stallers. I really want to find Low carb stuff I can cook with, so I can enjoy some of the recipes on this forum.

Cheryl
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 22:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120
BF:
Progress:

Hi guys!

Im also from New Zealand, about to do DAY ONE of induction having never really tried low carb to the atkins extent before. I am about 10-15 kilos overweight and have decided to do this strict 2 weeks plan, gradually upping carbs after that.
Its all very exciting! Im a bit scared about bad breath though!
I also dont think ill be adding much fat to my meals, i dont like butter etc all that much. You're right that NZ is a bit behind...i think gym-junkies/body builders etc certainly know all about this!

Im not too worried about the lack of products here, I think id prefer to eat loads of meat and lettuce salad etc than try to cook low-carb cookies and things like that...i dont have a sweet tooth really, its more a chips, potatoes, bread and pasta tooth!

Are tomatoes REALLY a no-no for the first 2 weeks?
And do we have any diet drinkd here without aspartame?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 05:42

BF:

Welcome abee. I agree with you about sustitutes. I tend to eat meat, eggs fish , salad and green veges. I find the food really good-esp. after all the low fat diets I have done in the past. The best thing is I never ever feel hungry. I have started getting up albit earlier and cooking bacon and eggs or omelettes and it keeps me going until about 1 or 2 pm. Adding fat helps to fill you up and stop you getting hungry.

I use Sucaryl a lot for sweetener I think it is great for yogurt etc- not gritty. Drinks I don't know I drink diet coke alot but I think it does have aspartane in it

I never got bad breath on this but I drink heaps of water which does help.

Tomato can be eaten so long as you still keep to 20 grams carbs a day. you can deduct fibre to get net carb count. One small tomato about 80 grams in weight is only 3 grams of carbs. If you slice it thinly half a tomato will go long way.

I have been checking my calorie intake just out of interest this week and have been amazed to find that inspite of all the food I am eating calories stay quite low. eg yeaterday I had 24 carbs and it came to only 1616 calories I had 5 grams of fibre so I deduct that from the carbs and get ECC of only 19! And I felt really good on it.

Hope you do well- I am sure you will but if you feel unwell at first don't freak out it passes.