Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Thumbs up well said commited

Quote:
Let's give all of ourselves a break, be happy we have found LC WOL and thanks for all who contribute in any way.
Yes, you make an excellent point here... not everything said is a personal attack either~ when ppl suggest to the book, it is merely the best starting point as well~
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 00:36

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%

Committed-Well put!!!
When I read your words I completely connected. This is basically what I was trying to say 2 pages ago but I have a big problem writing what I am thinking. Thanks for your post!!!! And once again-- Three Cheers for the men and women who make this forum the great place it is!!!!!!!!!!!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

I think that sometimes people get lazy and they don't want to take the time to read whatever book it is that they've chosen. They'd prefer to just come here and get a quick fix for a problem that has taken dozens of years to get to the point where they want to make a change.

That won't cut it. If you do any of these plans half-assed you'll never succeed.

It's one thing to read the book, then ask questions. But to just expect someone here to boil down a whole book to one message board posting is ridiculous.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Thumbs up Good point

Quote:
It's one thing to read the book, then ask questions. But to just expect someone here to boil down a whole book to one message board posting is ridiculous

Well stated JerseyDon, I think that too many ppl come here, expect to get all the answers here without doing ANY reading in the book, and expect to see the results right away. They don't get as much out of this way of eating for one thing, and then there is also the factors that sometimes certain conditions make LC'ing not the best choice!
They think that they are taking a shortcut. We see "I don't have the $$ to get the book",well, check it out from a library, borrow a copy... whatever it takes. In techy-land, most times when ppl have troubles, the first suggestion is RTFM... It don't just apply to LC'ing, and after all, the only person they are really hurting, is themself!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

I also think if you have the money to have a computer and an internet connection you can afford a book for $10-$20.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 18:59

Plan: Not yet
Stats: 158/158/128
BF:28% i think
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

this site is like one big commercial. I was looking more for a support group. people to talk to.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 19:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hlinda...

I know this site is big and that can be a bit overwhelming, but there really is great support to be found here. Have a look at some of the other forums, like the Atkins or General Low Carb forums; lots of great information and people are usually quite quick to respond to any question that you might have or point you in the right direction to find your answer. I wish you success with your low carb endeavors!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

LOL, I laugh because I thought similiar things at first. The boards layout was different than I was used to seeing. I aksed the questions int he technical forum about the parts that confused me, and I was very quickly answered by the lovely mentors and admins on this board.

If I had done my initial thing and not come back when it confused me - I would have missed out on meeting so many wonderfull board members, and so many wonderful peices of information that these members have or can find out.

Visit the journals if you still don't think this is about having someone to talk to.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 04:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/177.5/165
BF:
Progress: 75%

My God, I've found an amazing amount of support here in just a few days. I read the Atkins book in April and referred back to it many times over a few months when I first started this WOE. I guess being a guy I never really thought I needed the support of others to help accomplish what I've set out to do (losing weight or anything else), but I've gradually gotten back to some unhealthy eating habits. I know I need to refocus now and I'm ready for it. I also now realize, since finding this great group, that the support and help from others is gonna make it easier for me. There are lots of good people here who are eager to help each other. What can be wrong with that? I certainly don't know it all, but now I know where to come for answers to what I don't understand in something I've read, or when need some encouragement to stay on track. I give this entire site and the active people here a whole lotta

Last edited by bob : Wed, Jan-01-03 at 04:43.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyDon
I also think if you have the money to have a computer and an internet connection you can afford a book for $10-$20.

And, if they can't afford the book, almost ALL of that information (and more) is contained within the Atkins website, which is easily found if you search on the words 'Atkins diet.' So, no book is not an excuse, either.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:13

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well.. let me add my .02.

I did a fair amount of reading online.. some research.. talked to a few people that had success with Atkins... etc. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I really decided to try it. I dont like to do something I dont know much about. Now.. Im not the type of person to curl up into a book and read a few hundred pages if I can get a basic outline of a diet and go from there. I didnt read one page in a book and still lost 11-12lbs in the first 3 weeks of induction... thats just off of online reasearch. Printed out the "allowed list" and the basic outline of induction... followed it to the tee... and it worked obviously.

When I joined this site.. a few days ago.. I had a few basic questions. Valid ones too. Some of you read my "Cheese and Induction" thread. Basically I researched on cheeses and found that some cheeses have less then 1g of carbs, which I was aware of.. but was under the assumption that some cheeses have 0 as well. All I asked was "why only 3-4 oz of cheese if we count the carbs?" I had one response, the first one, which basically let me know that there were hidden carbs in all cheeses... which just about answered my Q. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that carbs add up even if their fractions of carbs. So that still left me with "Why only 3-4oz if we count them?"

The second post was only helpfull in the way that it told me how important the book was. Which was fine but at the same time that person went ahead and told me something I already knew.. saying "As you will find when you read the book, Dr A limits cheese to 3 to 4 oz during Induction. " I didnt need to know that, honestly. I just was wondering WHY only 3-4 oz IF you count the carbs. Is there something in cheese besides the carbs thats makes it not ok to eat more then 3-4 oz daily? Thats what I was getting at.

Now.. after reading the responses from some it seems to me that the same question was rattling around in other peoples heads too. I recall someone saying that it didnt specify why in the book. Which is the same thing I found when I was researching online for that answer.

What if I had read the book? Would I have been treated differently in that post? The person who stressed the book said they found my question "strange" and for some reason that person was basically telling me that I was trying to do the LC diet without doing any reading which in fact I had. What I found interesting is while I thought I screwed up by not reading I found that other people had the same Qs, people that had read the book. Is it cause Im a newbie? Is this not a support forum? I suggest the regs here answer questions... I mean in this thread someone said "they read the book but obviously got nothing out of it"... so those people dont deserve help or answers from those that may have picked up what they didnt?

All Im saying is.. this is a support forum.. if someone hasnt read the book and has question then sure.. preach to them about reading the book BUT answer their Qs if they have them!

Im not angry at the person that came back at me like that.. but a little more friendly advice would be great in the future.

BTW.. I bought the book.

Last edited by Avengeance : Mon, Feb-10-03 at 00:16.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 21:07
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default You must read the book

"Read the book!" is the obvious answer to so many questions. So many people are trying to do Aktins without reading the book. It won't work. There are critical elements that one must understand in order to succeed; short term and long term. I think "Read the book" is the best advice to give. Once someone has read the book, then the more experienced memebers can help them.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 12:17

Plan: Atkins/Intro
Stats: 194/186/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Avengeance,

Hey, I understand what you mean. You just have to keep asking in different ways until you get your answer. OR maybe no one has it for you..

There are always going to be people that feel more comfortable giving others lectures instead of advice. I've already found that here, but I just ignore it and take all the other WONDERFUL advice that I'm given.

Just ignore those posts and move on to the next. Maybe you can call Atkins and ask them? I saw a phone number somewhere but can't find it right now....

Good luck, and that is a very interesting question to me too.. I'll keep checking back here to see if the mystery gets solved!!

#44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:04
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Avengeance -

I don't purport to know the answer to your question:

"why only 3-4 oz of cheese if we count the carbs?"

But just this morning, I read the following in Michel Montignac's book, Eat Yourself Slim:

Quote:
Some authors have said that milk proteins contain growing factors necessary to fatten up small veal, but also active in humans. That explains why eating too much of a dairy product can hinder weight loss. pg 89

Some people have found they broke their stalls when they cut back on the dairy. Maybe there is something to the theory about growth factors.

Just a thought,
amieK