Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 17:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/166/154
BF:
Progress: 73%
Question Ketosis

Does anyone have any idea why I start the day in moderate ketosis, but gradually it declines until at night I am completely negative (this is while on strict induction). Also after exercise in the morning I turn negative. I thought the opposite would happen. Does this matter? Am I still in ketosis? I thought it might be the water intake, but surely I would still be reading a trace? My weight is gradually declining (very slowly mind you) so I am not too concerned at the moment, but I'm not sure whether this is normal for some people.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 20:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Carrie, many things will effect those test strips; what you've eaten, if you've worked out, how much water you drink, and when you test.

If you get a reading of positive then accept that and don't worry about testing again. Ketosis is ketosis is ketosis; no matter the colour. Lighter is better; negative doesnt mean you're not burning fat. Some people never register on those things and lose weight regardless. Many people following Protein Power have never even heard of them; the Eades give the topic of Ketosis 2 paragraphs in their book. It just isnt that important. If you're losing and your clothing is getting bigger on you that's all that matters.

Testing and getting a positive result can be motivating when starting out. But you'll find as you go along the whole process loses it's appeal; you know this WOE is working by how you feel. Keep eating right, exercising and drinking your water; don't become a slave to a little piece of plastic

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 21:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/166/154
BF:
Progress: 73%

You are right Nat, I should not be a slave to them, and I think I have been lately. Thanks for your words of wisdom.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 18:35

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

i still use them about every second day for reassurance as i my weight loss is very slow( about 1 kg a month)

if it is not negative i am happy. I also use them to see if certain foods are affecting me. I get very strong results but my sister has never even regesitered on them and she has losed about 10 kg in less time than it has taken me to lose 4. Goes to show everyone is different.

i am not dependant on them like i was to start with, but i still like 'em.