Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ketone salts BHB

What does everyone thinks about ketone salts BHB?
What about raspberry ketones?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 13:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The word ketone is used several ways. Wikipedia;

Quote:
Ketones are pervasive in nature. The formation of organic compounds in photosynthesis occurs via the ketone ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate. Many sugars are ketones, known collectively as ketoses. The best known ketose is fructose, which exists as a cyclic hemiketal, which masks the ketone functional group. [20]

In medicine, acetone, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate are collectively called ketone bodies, generated from carbohydrates, fatty acids, and amino acids in most vertebrates, including humans.

Raspberry ketones may be ketones in a chemical sense, but they aren't the sorts of ketones you're looking for on a ketogenic diet. You can see here that even sugars are technically "ketones," but obviously you're not going to supplement with fructose.

As it says there, "ketone" is also a medical term. Whether ketone salts will be helpful--I wouldn't waste money on them unless I had lots to spare. For weight loss purposes, more effort has gone into marketing than into research to see whether or not they will be helpful, there are pretty reasonable arguments that it could go either way. But if you do experiment, ketone salts or esters are at least the right sort to experiment with.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 18:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/215.5/185 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I don't use them for weight loss but I do use them for inflammation (rheumatoid arthritis) and they are fantastic. The inflammation was better after starting LCHF but BHB made a huge difference.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 19:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks, that's interesting. I have sort of a bum shoulder, I found out sort of accidentally that the full flush sort of niacin was effective against that, it made the difference between being able to do overhead presses etc. and not. I've stopped needing niacin for that since I started eating more towards the ketogenic end of things. There are receptors for niacin that are also responsive to BHB, I don't know if that's just a coincidence or not. This is one good thing I can see for exogenous ketones, you can be sure that it's probably the ketones that are having the effect. Eating more ketogenically changes too many variables, makes it hard to be certain.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 22:32

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

It's interesting to know that they may actually be good for something. When I first read about these drinks containing them I thought it was a scam. i mean, unless your own body is producing the ketones you are really not in ketosis.