Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 290/192/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Dr. Michael Greger - Pissed Off

Anybody else mad as hell at this guy? http://nutritionfacts.org/

HUGE conflict of interest (He is Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture at the Humane Society of the United States.)

Cherry picking research with an obvious confirmation bias and ignoring credible research that directly contradicts his "fat is bad" position and his "Vegetarian is the only correct diet" position. The problem is that he is becoming popular and therefore lives are at risk.

This guy needs to be slapped with the facts. Or put on the cover of this book http://amzn.com/0393310728
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 04:40

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Dude, seriously? Do you think for a second that that website is a reliable source of information for anybody? It's 100% videos. Sure they contain sources but you have to watch the video, you can't just scroll down to a list of sources, or even click a link. That website is just not designed to provide information to the visitor. Instead it's designed to provide entertainment. In fact, the website format is exactly like a personalized yooboot channel. And if you go to the yooboot channel, every link under every video links straight to the website. It's a closed loop. It's like if I was to argue something, then provided a link to my blog to support my argument, then within my blog, I'd provide a link to my original argument.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:40

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I did a search on this guy because someone blasted me when I discussed the benefits of a low carb diet -- they promoted his book How Not To Die and told me how wrong I was. So then I came here to do a search and apparently he, himself, was trolling these pages back in 2004 to promote his ideas and books.

I think a lot of people have acknowledged there are different ways of eating that may result in similar results, but Dr. Greger seems so hostile and determined that his way is the only way. I guess it turns out that he has a moral problem with eating animals, and he is a strong animal right's activist. This, really, should make him an unreliable analyst (he's not a scientist) for reading results. As I tell my students, choose a topic to research that you're not emotionally tied to, because you will tend to skew the results toward the answer you want.

Just wanted to mention this because his followers are out there on the Internet trolling anyone who discusses the benefits of low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 16:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

He reminds me of the doctor who started the site "Quackwatch."

The only problem is that he had the time to start it because he lost his admitting privileges at the hospital he was associated with d/t being dropped by his malpractice insurance carrier.

Chiropractors are that dude's favorite victims. But he has many, many others, and the veneer of being a doctor lets him get away with a lot of garbage.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 06:52

Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

It is so good to hear others have questioned Greger's empirical approach to diet. Personally it's whatever works for you is my position.

It caught my attention because he claims meat eating and saturated fat cause ED, it thickens the blood and thereby slowing flow.

I'm sure he's a nice chap.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 08:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are so many wack jobs like this guy that it is hard to work up the righteous indignation yet again. Campbell of "The China Study" is the target of my ire.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-16, 11:31

Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There are so many wack jobs like this guy that it is hard to work up the righteous indignation yet again. Campbell of "The China Study" is the target of my ire.

When you have a piece of lettuce and a piece of fat on the plate it might seem academic the lettuce is going to be better for you, cause it's so clean and not all fatty.

I've caught myself considering that maybe eating 60-70% fat is not such a good idea because I have high cholesterol, last check showed 350 mg/DL. Greger's vega-diet seemed perfectly reasonable but I did not want to subsist on vegetables alone.

So hear I am leaner, stronger and a lot happier eating meat, eggs, cheese, green leafy stuff.

(I also want to confess to eating pumpkin cheesecake last night)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-16, 11:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Mine too! Diet as religion or ethical dogma has obscured and distorted so much valuable information.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 09:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I find this discussion pertinent to my own interests as an animal rights activist.

This pernicious belief that one MUST be a vegan to care about animals is complete BS. Temple Grandin, who pioneered humane treatment of food animals, has done more for animals than all the soy-swilling, vegetable oil advocating, screaming fanaticism of every single one of them.

Isn't it unethical to promote a human diet which vastly increases diabetes, heart disease, and stroke? Which fosters dementia? Which creates miserable people?

People are animals, too
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 09:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

WereBear - I agree with you. The self-righteous assumptions of the animal rights activists, that only by being a vegan can you show that you care about animals, is misinformed and arrogant. Temple Grandin is a great example of someone who has taken a different path. There is also the talk on dietdoctor.com by Peter Ballerstedt entitled "Grass Based Health and the Ruminant Revolution". You need to be a member to watch it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/p...ons/ballerstedt

There's an article by Diana Rodgers RD on the same topic:

http://sustainabledish.com/meat-is-magnificent/

Not only do I deal with the metabolic issues caused by a high carb diet but I have severe intestinal issues that make it impossible for me to eat any of the sources of protein that vegetarians and vegans eat. That includes all legumes, eggs and dairy. I pay attention to the quality of my food, don't buy factory farmed meats or farmed fished. If I didn't eat animal protein I would be very ill.

Vegetables are the way to go seems to be the mantra nowadays but its not mine. Agriculture is not free of harm to animals. Many die in the clearing and maintaining of the land and in the destruction of animal habitats. We can be concerned about the welfare of animals and concerned about our own welfare and find a way to live and eat that honors both our needs as best we can.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 14:19

Plan: PeterPlanPhorPerfectPhat
Stats: 000/000/149 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think there is enough self righteousness to go around. I no more think that vegan is the perfect diet then I think that a low carb one is. I've known a couple of people who have gone the vegan route and avoided bypass surgery as I have known people going the low carb route that got their weight and/or diabetes under control.
I think some people do well on a plant based diet, and others do well on a meat based one. I think it depends on genes and personal preferences.
The country is divided politically. Must we also have warring camps gastronomically?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 14:36

BF:

This study seems to think there isn't one good diet. At least in mice.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article...thy-diet-exists
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 07:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete533
This study seems to think there isn't one good diet. At least in mice.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article...thy-diet-exists

Some of us have been treated very badly for the way we eat. It gets very tiring to have some chirpy person, who has never had a weight or health problem in their life, gush about how much they loved the tofurkey this last Thanksgiving. Our society is very sympathetic to vegans who act like they have been poisoned if they find out a dish has meat in it, and yet are not sympathetic to people with gluten issues who actually do get sick.

One thing has been established by science: vegan diets are short on nutrients and eventually have serious consequences. Yet, low carbers are the ones treated like we are the sick fanatics!

Some people do better as vegetarians than others (it made me fat and sick) but no one does well as a vegan. People need to know that.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 08:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Dr Richard Feinman in his book "The World Turned Upside Down" say the term "nutrition science" is an oxymoron. What better illustration of that is there than the touting of vegan diets as healthy and low carb diets as dangerous?

Jean
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 14:09

BF:

Quote:
Some people do better as vegetarians than others (it made me fat and sick) but no one does well as a vegan. People need to know that.

I guess all those success stories from Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Barnard are liars. Do you also think that Sandy Hook didn't happen or that we never landed on the moon?
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. I don't think I will come here anymore. Tired of closed minds and Fake News.