Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 17:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%
Default 3 1/2 months LC and LDL dangerously high???

Well our labs are in. I was disappointed and confused about the cholestrol thing. DH total cholestrol is now 251 and his LDL is now 204. His triglycerides are 73. Doc is very worried about his LDL. Says it should never be over 100 and likes it around 70. Says she wants to start Lipitor. Has ordered a stress test. Plus his BP is up to 148/90 today. Here are my results.

Mine:
WAS NOW
cholestrol 171 193
triglyceride 92 129
cholestrol, HDL 37.8 39.6
LDL (calc) 115 127
LDL/HDL ratio 3.0 3.2

I had great results after 4 weeks of LC, but now doesn't look as good. I have had less cheats than you can count on one hand in the last 16 weeks. What should we do with our diet. Is the butter, bacon, ham, and sausage okay? I read a little of the cholestrol threads in the cholestrol sections but I just don't get what IS too high? When should we worry? We are not for RX, that's for sure.

On a better note;

WAS NOW
AIC 6.6 5.9
glucose 121 109
HGB 10.8 13.4
vit D 16.6 not retested

So, I was pleased with this. I do wish they had retested my Vit D. I took the calcium with it this time. I expected it to be different than the whole 1 1/2 yr I took the silly D2 and D3 without it. So, do I continue to take the iron and Vit C even though my HGB is normal?

DH's mom and dad have high cholestrol and take lipitor and his mom had 3 major blockages this past year.

Any input is welcome...unless your a statin lover! lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 17:37

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
Mine:
WAS NOW
cholestrol 171 193
triglyceride 92 129
cholestrol, HDL 37.8 39.6
LDL (calc) 115 127
LDL/HDL ratio 3.0 3.2

I'm more worried about the triglyceride rise more than anything right now. If your LDL is pattern A (most likely is) it's no problem at any rate. You can have the doctor test your LDL pattern if you like, or get a prescription for one at another lab.

Also, unless you are a man who has heart disease, do NOT go on a statin, it will not do one bit of good. (and even then there's the increased hemorrhagic stroke, depression, cancer mortality, diabetes risk, suicide, etc.)

There isn't such thing as too high of a cholesterol.

Some data on familial hypercholesterolemia (people who can have cholesterol in the upper hundreds):

Quote:
The Simon Broome Familal Hyperlipidaemia Register Group followed 3000 people with hypercholesterolemia, at most recent (2009), 102 of them died of a heart attack. But that's not all, but if you take the same age group in the English population they calculated the expected number to be 40.

Finland- 30 people died, 26 of heart attack, 4 of other causes. 67% of those who died smoked, while 41% was that for the survivors. Initial LDL (bad cholesterol) was the same for those who died and those who were still alive.

UK, US, Canada- Found cholesterol varied little from those with heart disease and those without, in fact, those with the highest LDL had no heart disease.

Netherlands- People with familial hypercholesterolemia lived longer according to Dr. Eric Sijbrands and co-workers who studied university hospitals.

All info on the above studies taken from a book by Uffe Ravnskov, also, in his book, one study showed: People before 1900's, the most common cause of death was infectious diseases, yet those with familial hypercholesterolemia lived longer, again, cholesterol is a good guy.

Your HDL is a little low, but I'm not too concerned about that. I would be more interested in a high sensitivity c-reactive protein (hs-CRP) report than anything. VLDL would be nice to be directly measured as well (highly destructive lipoproteins which carry triglycerides around).

Here's even more evidence to say that cholesterol isn't the villain:

http://oi52.tinypic.com/13z4xeg.jpg

Also:

The UCLA study of 2009 of 541 hospitals yielded the following results:
75% of heart attack patients had LDL in the "safe range." 21% of patients were on statins.
50% of heart attack patients had LDL in the "optimal range."

As for the second part of your post, the A1C looks good, but that's all I can say on the subject.

Edit: Since I had the time, I compiled a list of things you can do to lower your risk of heart disease-

http://curehdn.posterous.com/inflam...not-cholesterol

Last edited by Jay1988 : Tue, May-10-11 at 18:19.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 20:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Your A1c is headed in the right direction. Are you under treatment for diabetes? Your original A1c might be in the range of diabetes. Anyway, either way you've obviously got metabolic syndrome going on with blood sugars that high. That can raise triglycerides right there.

If you're super concerned, go check out http://trackyourplaque.com It's a blog/site that helps users get control of their health issues with low carb diet, supplements. The guy who runs it is a cardiologist and has had great luck with his program.

Here's the blog: http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/