Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 150/143/120 Female 64''
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Yoga Girl

Alright, I think I need to have a separate journal for exercise to keep me honest

In my usual manner, I will have to tell a wordy story rather than just jump in with today's stats.

My relationship with exercise has been a bit tumultuous over the years. I played field hockey in high school but couldn't stand the runs we did to keep fit. I was always at the back walking with girls who looked to be in worse shape than me. I remember the second year into it I prepared and actually jogged in my neighborhood before the practice began. It helped a little, but sometimes it still killed me to go 2.5 miles...not far! I was particularly sensitive to temperature jogging. One time I swear a run on a sweltering day put me into an arrhythmia.

In college, I discovered aerobics. I fell in love with it. It was so much better because it didn't repetitively use the same muscles, over and over and over. It mixed it up. It was liking dancing; you flung yourself around in beat to the music. I found myself putting off my friends who wanted to go to happies until after I got my aerobics in. 4 or 5 times a week became my routine. And in those young days, makes me laugh, I could drink like a case of beer on the weekend and be ready to go for Monday aerobics, lol!!! Somehow, I was in the best shape of my life senior year and it was easy because that's how much I loved aerobics.

After college, I was anxious to find a gym to continue my routine. I was poor but I still found a reasonable gym. The problem was that their aerobics was way too easy after I had been accustomed to college level high impact aerobics taught by college instructors geared toward young healthy college girls. I tried, but I found myself just longing to be in one of my old classes.

So I took jogging back up. Again. And it wasn't any more fun this time around. Still hated it.

I would return to jogging over and over. Starting then quitting. Starting again. Quitting again. At my very best, I was consistent enough to run what may have been 3 miles on a regular basis. I believe I was able to do it because I loved the park that I ran in so much. It had a dirt trail to run on...much preferred. Woods with lots of shade. A beautiful stream so it was soothing scenery.

But then I moved. No more park. Still trying to jog, on roads now, and still hating it. Eventually, torturing myself with a treadmill.

Enter hypothyroidism and decreasing stamina. I just got worse instead of better.

Then I bought yoga tapes, Power Yoga with Bryan Kest. Much, much more to my liking!!! So flippin' hard, too! Did those for awhile, but my hypothyroidism kept taking me out of the game.

Fast forward to today-yoga is my new, old love. I'm back to those Power Yoga tapes but I feel like I have discovered them anew. The first time I did it a few months ago, I thought I would have a heart attack. It was frustrating as he**, but something made me stay with it. It got easier quickly. Well maybe not easier, but better. I'm inspired to go deeper because increased flexibility is such a tangible reward! And I'm really inspired by how nicely it has toned me. I lost a good amount of muscle mass with hypothyroidism(undiagnosed for 7 years). Right now, I'm building back up, reaching for that old body of mine!

So here's yesterday's stats:

54 minutes of Power Yoga II, Tone. Heart was a little racy, balance a little off, but it was a good workout despite that. I don't know names of poses because Kest doesn't use them much, but the one where you balance on one arm, your body making a crescent shape...I almost to the point where I can hold it the whole time without falling down. My right arm I can do it(just barely!) My left arm, I'm getting better, over half the time and often falling over not due to weakness but because of balance.

My hips are my weakest areas but yesterday I felt improved there. There is a section that starts with these lunges that put all your weight into your hips and end with a position called Prayer Twist. It is the hardest part of the tapes for me. I did okay yesterday, particularly on the left side.

So that's my exercise story.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 07:35
Registered Member

BF:

Kind of a slacking weekend, but after an otherwise good week.

Didn't yoga Friday or Saturday.

On Sunday, did Tape 3, Sweat, to get back into the grove. Falling all over the place in Prayer Twist. How to get my hips stronger????

On the positive side, my arms just keep getting so strong. I did both sides of balancing on one arm better than ever. Just the flow of the intense arm series is so much smoother for me!

Oh, and I finally weighed. Down 5 lbs. Hurrah.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 04:03

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 343/331/200 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 8%

Congrats on the weightloss, and on finding an exercise you like again.

That is the worst part. I use to do tae bo, absolutely loved it til I injured myself doing so. Then everytime i would start back up I would injur the same place so I had to give it up. Once i get in a bit better shape I plan to find a nice alternative that i LIKE, I mean who likes jumping jacks right?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 13:06
Registered Member

BF:

Haven't been reporting but still have been doing.

I do think I slowed a little though. Maybe every other day instead of 5 times a week. Alternating Power II and Power III, Tone and Sweat. Making itty bitty progress with Prayer Twist. Not much else to report.

Went for a short walk today on a work break, maybe 15-20 minutes round trip.

Think I will do Power III tonight.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 08:00
Registered Member

BF:

I did Power II instead. It is harder, maybe only because I can do most of it so there is no stopping. I do still have issues at the lunging part that is tough on the hips. I did the Prayer Twist longer on my right side than I ever have.

Biggest accomplishment of yesterday's yoga?

The pose where I put my feet over my head and to the floor behind me and where you are supposed to interlace your hands and press your arms toward the floor until your hands hit...

well, I've never been able to put my interlaced hands on the ground. Yesterday, I felt the ground on the sides of my fingers!

These are the events that make yoga inspiring. It doesn't completely kill you because you inch toward more flexibility. Before you know it, you are quite the Gumby.