Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/178/125
BF:
Progress:
Default Give up Coffee!!!

I am on my 2nd day of the induction and just read that I should not drink coffee!! Ahhh! Anybody have any ideas? I am already getting a headache today and I had a cup of coffee this am. Oh by the way, I am drinking plenty of water so the headache is not due to dehydration!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 10:48

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi Annvt,

Headaches are very common when beggining lowcarb. They usually do no last more than a week sometimes two. Giving up caffien is probably making it worse. You can take a pain reliever, don't make yourself suffer or you will get discouraged. Another thing you might try, drink lite coffee, and ween yourself off that way. That's how I did it. And trust me, NO ONE drinks more coffee than I used to! I still drink alot of decaf. Alot of people continue to drink reg. coffee in moderation and have no problem. It all depends, everyone is different.

Good luck to you, and keep on posting. Let us know how you're doing

Cimart
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 22:36

Stats: 178/178/125
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Coffee

Thanks for the tip. I am going to cut my caffine intake slowly. By next week I may be able to ween off the Regular. I love coffee! But decaf is OK?!
Annvt
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/185/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

hi annvt

boy, are we in the same boat. i've been "trying" to give up coffee AGAIN, firmly believing that it is almost solely responsible for my failure to stay low-carb. because of the insulin response to caffeine. i think i will try to apply something i just read in the course on miracles, page 231, regarding what i project being what i get back, ie, i NEED my caffeine fix, how will i live without it? i NEED my eating behavior, can't give it up, vs. having the health and well-being the atkins diet provides when done properly. i have to give up what i don't want to get what i do want. have one goal. focus. i have given up coffee before for an extended period of time and wow, did i feel great. so why is it so hard this time? don't know, except for what i just wrote about focusing.

also, atkins says, in the first book, try making 4 cups of tea from one bag, divide it up and sip it to avoid the withdrawal. perhaps that is what decaf does for us, with just enough caffeine to stop the headache.

now for the fortitude to put this knowledge to work.

thanks to you, and the forum for a place to turn to, in writing i "hear" my self, and maybe can "heal" my self.

have a wonderful day.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 06:55

Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Coffee

I too am a person who loves her coffee. When I went to university ( many moons ago) I was drinking pots of it a day and then went cold turkey, I got the shakes, was sick to my stomach and the headaches (intense to put it mildly). I started this diet thinking there is no way I can give this stuff up. It's not just the caffeine it was the thought of not having something warm in the morning. I'm now drinking half caf. and have limited myself to two cups I turn off the pot and throw the rest down the sink so I'm not tempted. Next week I'm going to go down to one cup. Does anyone have a suggestion for something hot in the morning?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 08:00

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default something hot in the morning

Hi all, I can't drink tea in the morning, it makes me nausious. But maybe an herbal tea might be good for you. What to you think?

cimart
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 08:12

Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

Celestial Seasonings makes a number of tasty herbal teas. Chamomile is particularly good. The tea bags are easily compostable, too!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 09:20

Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Herbal teas

I have several in my cuboard from my low-fat days, I had forgotten all about them. Most of them are blends though. The Blackcurrant and apple is really nice. Do I have to worry about carbohydrates in these products though. The Raspberry leaf is nice too, it is just the leaves themselves. Does anyone know if there are ones you shlould stay away from or are they all ok. None of them have any sugar or it's derivatives in them.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:34

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

I gave up regular coffee when I started LCing. Went right to decaf--- as far as I know decaf IS allowed. I drink my 1 1/2 cups in the morning and then have a cup early afternoon.

At one time, I used to drink pots of regular (all day long) and I gradually cut it down and had no ill effects. Then I was able to switch to decaf and never look back!
So.... gradual is probably better.

Ellie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:53
Registered Member

Stats: 268/185/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

hi everyone,

thanks for all your ideas! you know, i was thinking today about all the people i know who don't start their day with something hot. there are a lot of them. when i was off coffee, sometimes if it was cold outside, i'd have hot lemonade with artificial sweetener and that was good. i'm realizing that i need to re-think the whole idea of needing anything besides water. that's all my daughter and son-in-law drink with the exception of an occasional glass of milk, which of course is out for us. i think it'll be fun to see how i feel after two or three weeks on water only as a beverage. maybe with a little lemon once in a while. aspirin for the headache? yes, i'll do that. i'll let you know how i make out.