Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-12, 11:13
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Optimal levels of vitamin D during pregnancy

Optimal levels of vitamin D during pregnancy
Posted on March 13, 2012 by John Cannell, MD
More than 60 years ago, based on the science of the time (science that has stagnated for 60 years), Dr. E. Orbermer of Italy wrote the following:

“Until further experimental evidence, adequate and incontrovertible, is made available, I submit that we should play for safety. In a climate like that of England every pregnant woman should be given a supplement of vitamin D in doses of not less than 10,000 IU per day in the first 7 months, and 20,000 IU (per day) during the 8th and 9th months.”

OBERMER E. Vitamin-D requirements in pregnancy. Br Med J. 1947 Dec 6;2(4535):927.

The “adequate and incontrovertible evidence” that Dr. Orbermer wanted, to a certain extent, is finally here, 60 years later. As it has to do with developing human beings, it could not be more important. The study is the highest standard of proof, a randomized controlled trial, conducted by Professor Bruce Hollis and colleagues at the Medical University of South Carolina. They took 350 pregnant women, gave 1/3 of them 600 IU/day, 1/3 of them 2,000 IU/day, and 1/3 4,000 IU/day. Then they waited to see, among many things, which group would produce infants with at least 20 ng/ml of vitamin D in their blood, the lowest limit the 2010 Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) says is needed for good fetal health.

Hollis BW, Johnson D, Hulsey TC, Ebeling M, Wagner CL. Vitamin D supplementation during pregnancy: double-blind, randomized clinical trial of safety and effectiveness. J Bone Miner Res. 2011 Oct;26(10):2341-57. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.463

Surprise surprise, only the 4,000 IU/day pregnant women group even approached the minimal safety level of 20 ng/ml in their infants. Furthermore, the 2010 FNB recommendations of vitamin D in prenatal vitamins would have left 50% of the White women and 80% of the Black women with fetuses below 20 ng/ml.

Only the 4,000 IU/day pregnant women group even approached the minimal safety level of 20 ng/ml in their infants.
However, Professor Hollis found something else, something potentially much more important. He found that the average fetus in the USA is starved for enough building blocks for his or her mother to make adequate activated vitamin D to ship to the baby; activated vitamin D that is probably used for microscopic organ development, such as in the brain.

Activated vitamin D in pregnancy is mysterious. It appears the mother makes it in her kidney (maybe some in her placenta) at levels up to 3 to 4 times normal (without maternal hypercalcemia) and ships it across to the fetus. This only happens if the mother has enough of this vital steroid hormone in her body to ship to the fetus and most mothers do not. If she can’t make it, she can’t ship it maximally, and the 38 fetal organs depending on activated vitamin D to fully develop must do the best they can do with inadequate amounts of this steroid. Of course, none of this applies to mothers who frequently sunbathe, or who take 5,000 IU/day while they are pregnant.

To quote Professor Hollis: “These findings suggest that the current vitamin D (requirements for pregnancy, currently 600 IU/day) issued in 2010 by the Food and Nutrition Board should be raised to 4,000 IU of vitamin D per day so that all women, regardless of race, can attain optimal nutritional and hormonal vitamin D status throughout pregnancy.”

The Vitamin D Council agrees and considers this an important study in support of why adults and pregnant women need at least 4,000 IU/day to elevate blood levels and improve fetal health and birth outcomes. Although there are no trials that support taking more, the Vitamin D Council believes 5,000 IU/day is equally safe and would be more effective at maintaining adequate fetal blood levels of vitamin D.

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/201...ring-pregnancy/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-12, 15:02

Plan: Cambridge diet
Stats: 275/220/155 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Could you condense this for me i'm trying for a baby - how much do I need to take and in what form? ie what & where do I order?

Thank you x
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 23:01

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Zuleikaa~~~do you have any info about infant vite d requirements? i just ordered ddrops, but i'm not sure about how much to give the baby when it comes.

ps, thanks for the article
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-12, 06:23
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
Zuleikaa~~~do you have any info about infant vite d requirements? i just ordered ddrops, but i'm not sure about how much to give the baby when it comes.

ps, thanks for the article

Infants need 1,000 IU/day. 2,000 IU/day is protective against juvenile diabetes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 07:31

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Infants need 1,000 IU/day. 2,000 IU/day is protective against juvenile diabetes.

But do they need that much from supplements, or are they okay if the mother has high levels of vit D (assuming breastfeeding)? I don't think I'll give my baby any supplements until I see what his levels are via bloodwork first.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 18:20
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean7
But do they need that much from supplements, or are they okay if the mother has high levels of vit D (assuming breastfeeding)? I don't think I'll give my baby any supplements until I see what his levels are via bloodwork first.

Babies are okay if the mother's milk contains adequate levels of vitamin D, otherwise they need supplements.

Over 80% of the population...including pregnant women...are vitamin D deficient.

Dr. Hollis has found that vitamin D requirements during pregnancy...given the mother's condition can require anywhere from 7,000 to 20,000 IU/day to ensure breast milk is replete with D3 shortly after delivery. Also, breast milk is only replete with vitamin D if the mother, herself, has vitamin D levels of 70 ng/ML or higher.

Are your vitamin D levels 70 ng/ML or higher?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 18:30
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildeone
Could you condense this for me i'm trying for a baby - how much do I need to take and in what form? ie what & where do I order?

Thank you x

While TTC you and your partner need to take 10,000 IU/day of D3. Once pregnant you need to take 7-10,000 IU/day of D3.

Order from http://www.biotechpharmacal.com/
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 05:37

BF:

Quote:
Are your vitamin D levels 70 ng/ML or higher?

Yes. I've had weight loss surgery, so I take multiple supplements and have labs run very regularly. My vit D has been as high as 108. When it last dropped into the 60s, I increased my supplements (got it back up into the 80s) and have continued my D supplements throughout my pregnancy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 05:38

BF:

Quote:

You can also order from www.vitalady.com. That's where I get my 50,000 IU dry D3 capsules.