Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 07:32

Plan: not sure
Stats: 249/249/143 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default PCOS Help!!!!!

hi guys

i was diagnosed a few years back in my early 30's ... many diets later and very little weight loss. I was on atkins for a while but although it was working, i stopped after all the negatives came out as i was scared to do any harm to myself. i then wenton low gi but that hasnt worked for me. I am two years from 40 and I am desperate to loose this weight and get off all these meds and be healthy and maybe just maybe i too can then dream of having a baby, which i had basically given up on.

i am now reading all your stories and really interested in finding out more....so all you ladies with PCOS....do you recommend LC, as a way to go. it does seem so. I am so desperately unhappy and although people say I am beautiful intelligent and funy etc etc... all I feel like is a huge stomach with legs adn arms...a blob!!! i dont live my life...i feel i have missed out so much because I am so consumed by PCOS ... i want to loose this weight for once and folr all and be free!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for llistening and I look forward to all your advice.

Take care
Hugs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 07:43

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

I'm about your age, diagnosed in my 20s, and heck yeah, I recommend eating low carb for PCOS!

My doctor told me "lose weight and your symptoms will improve." Ok, I tried. I ate low fat, low calorie... and my cholesterol went up (lots of small LDL), my blood sugar went up despite increasing doses of Metformin, I lost more hair, I had no energy, and my menstrual cycles stopped completely. And I gained weight.

I've been restricting carbs since January 1st and the weight loss has been fabulous. I'm even MORE excited, though, about my health improvements. I had my first normal period early in January and my cycles have been regular since. I have loads of energy and my skin and hair are visibly healthier. Even things like desperate urinary urges -- which I realized were usually triggered by eating something sugary -- have disappeared. I never tolerated Metformin well, so I weaned myself off of it (without doc's advice) and I feel terrific.

Give it a try.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 07:50

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Low carb is pretty much the ONLY thing for someone with PCOS. As a way to lose weight, and a way to eat for the rest of your life to control all the symptoms and problems.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/mod
Stats: 248.8/232/160 Female 68inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Yes, Yes, Yes.

I suffered from secondary infertility, and ttc my 2nd child for over 10 years with no luck. I finally tried Atkins and within a year, with the assistance of trying clomid for 3 months, I was pregnant. Within 8 months of delivering my DD I became pregnant again and delivered my DS.

I became pregnant again last year after being on Atkins for 2 weeks but lost that child at 8 weeks.

My Dr. is an Endo with an emphasis in fertility. IMHO Atkins is what made it possible for me to have children. It also improves my energy levels and it is the only thing that I have been able to lose weight on.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 18:50

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Good luck to you ttc.

I started Atkins almost 4 years ago. I NEVER had periods unless I took Provera. Within 3 weeks of starting Atkins I had a period all on my own. In the last 4 years I've missed (skipped) only 3 periods.

I highly recommend this WOL. It allows me to eat the foods I LOVE, I have more energy, I look better and that unsightly dark ring around my neck is gone.

I highly recommend you get the book and follow the plan.
Barb