Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/150 Female 5ft 6'
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello from the UK

A beautiful sunny day here today (yes, really!)

I started Atkins in January 2017 and so far have lost 150lbs. I was 18stones 4lbs(256) to start and am now 14stones 10lbs (206lbs) I have about another stone to go and then have a re-think.

I am 68, married for 42 years, retired nurse.

Atkins has really changed my life. I had bronchitis every winter, that's gone. Painful joints... much better. No energy, now full of energy. Low self esteem, now I like myself.

I don't know what it is like for everyone else, but I've taken a lot of flack for doing Atkins. The usual tripe... it's unhealthy etc . So I just keep quiet now and paddle my own Atkins canoe. If I'm asked I just say I'm eating sensibly. It's far less hassle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Misty Maid - I also am new to this forum. I'm from Australia and of a similar vintage. I want to lose 2 stone and I am in awe of your success. What a strong woman you are. Regarding joint pain - I have been struggling to stand up from the sofa without knee pain - using the sofa to push up from. Yesterday I stood up and realised there was no pain. That was more to do with no bread (gluten) for a week I suspect. But could also be extra oils/fats. I look forward to chatting as we go forward on our journey to good health.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
You have found a "safe place" to talk about Atkins and how you enjoy a rasher of bacon with your eggs now.
Look around the various topics, lots of great information to help you.
Those beautiful sunny days in the spring after a long dark winter are brilliant,
All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 14:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremorne
Hi Misty Maid - I also am new to this forum. I'm from Australia and of a similar vintage. I want to lose 2 stone and I am in awe of your success. What a strong woman you are. Regarding joint pain - I have been struggling to stand up from the sofa without knee pain - using the sofa to push up from. Yesterday I stood up and realised there was no pain. That was more to do with no bread (gluten) for a week I suspect. But could also be extra oils/fats. I look forward to chatting as we go forward on our journey to good health.

Yes, me too

mo
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 00:49

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello Misty Maid, greetings from Cumbria.

You are so right about having to paddle your own canoe. Mind you, I have never been a people pleaser, if it seems anyone is going to give me flack about my fasting, or refusal to eat cake or scones at the end of a group ramble, they get The Look.

Pain-free knees alone are worth it, especially for a hill walker.

Good luck with the next stone.

I love the Welsh Borders. Regularly holiday in Shropshire and love the area around Clun. Also a fan of the Phil Rickman books.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 01:40

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of support and interesting people here. And the recipes!

Congratulations on your success!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 02:54

BF:

Thank you all so much for your messages. Not all forums are as nice as this one. Ambulo, what a beautiful part of the world you live in. We go through a bit of it, sadly all motorway, when we go to Scotland.
What a hypocrite I am. When I saw coach parties of OAP's going through our city I used to think 'God's waiting room on a day out' I've joined them now. Hubby and I love coach holidays. No driving, just sit back and be 'took' We've also discovered cruises.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 04:15

Plan: Ketogenic and OMAD
Stats: 325/283/185 Male 69 inches
BF:Sorry, don't know
Progress: 30%

Hello Misty Maid,

I'm Tim, from South Wales and like people on this forum have done for me, I'm more than happy to welcome you and show support for your most impressive results to date.

Yeah, I know all about the nay-sayers, my wife as I've said in my introduction posts is one unfortunately. However, slowly but surely she's coming around to the Low Carb way of thinking. Even if she feels it's too restrictive.

She suffers daily from 'stomach acid reflux,' and takes way too many 'indigestion' tablets. I told her to start taking Apple Cider Vinegar like me and lo and behold, her acid reflux has stopped. So suddenly, she's showing a bit more respect towards the Low Carb crew.

I currently do all the cooking and so little does she know, but most of our meals are Keto based. But she'll have a Jacket potato or something with the LC veggie stuff I make for us.

Slowly, but surely, the UK is starting to understand how the tide is turning, away from Low-Fat to Low-Carb so soon you'll have all kinds of help in paddling your canoe.

Well done and best of luck.

Tim.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi, Misty Maid! Welcome, and congrats on the success.

I'm curious about the numbers in your first post. Have you lost 50 or 150? I'm thinking the extra "1" slipped in there somewhere. Regardless, it's a tremendous accomplishment!

Funny that you mention bronchitis. I made a mental note when I did Atkins many years ago that I never had a cold the entire time. I usually contracted a cold every couple of months, but when low carbing, it never seemed to happen. I'm not sure if the carbs were messing with my immune system, or if eating better boosted it. But I'm sure that I'm better off eating the way I am today.