Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: Gen. Low Carb
Stats: 265/239/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Talking Question about CAD

First, HI!

I'm not really new to LC or the site, bit of a lurker really.

My question is:

Right now I'm trying to get back on the wagon after two years of newly married bliss. I was on Atkins and had been doing very well on it until the honeymoon. One week in Jamaica and yeah..... so long skinny hello fat again.

I am all for getting back to this permanently as I feel better on a LC diet, I sleep better, and I look better. My Dr, yeah shocker there, also recommended one for me. Not Atkins, just general low carb, but it was still rather surprising. I'm trying to get back to the whole Atkins induction thing, but it's proving to be hard after two years of carby badness.

My husband? Well, he's dead set against anything but WW's, which really isn't a bad thing although he doesn't really eat healthy and wastes all his points on cereal and bad stuff. I've got him part way convinced to join me again as it'll be way easier for me to stick with this if I don't have to look at potatoes and bread all the time. Plus, as mentioned somewhere else on this site, WW's has made it very easy to incorporate LC into the point's system.

I think he'd do very well on CAD since it allows for the reward meal and he wouldn't have to totally do without taters. He has this strange love affair with them. It makes me insanely jealous sometimes..... Wish he looked at me like he does the potato......

But I digress.

Any advice for those of you following this plan? I ordered the book and it should be here tomorrow. Once he gets dedicated to a plan, he can follow it very well as he lost 50 lbs in three months when we were both on Atkins. He just gets tired of meat all the time and his liking of veggies goes as far as cauliflower and greens. I'm trying to change that, really, but hey, my man is and always will be a meat and taters guy.

Sadly.

I love him just like he is, but he wants to drop a few, as do I, so please don't think I'm forcing him to do anything he doesn't want to do. We're just disagreeing on the method. I lost very well on WW's recently, 20 lbs in two months and he barely lost 10. So I'm thinking his method isn't working hehe.

Would this benefit him?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 13:12

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I think it was in Wheat Belly that I read that wheat consumption is responsible for "man boobs". When I told my bread loving husband that, he changed his diet!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 20:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

of course it will- it is a great plan
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 21:03

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hello! Your post had me cracking up- I like you
My husband attempted to do the diet with me, but I found that he went easily overboard on his free meal. It was like the last-meal-before-he-dies attitude and it made weight loss a little too slow for his liking. But I tend to think he might have some metabolism problems too. In general, I have heard of men doing very well on this diet and it will help that he has you to be there with him along the journey!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-13, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Gen. Low Carb
Stats: 265/239/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Last meal before he dies.....Oh yes, this. I am concerned about that reaction but once he starts seeing results, he'll get really serious about it. He's the most tenacious person I have ever met and that is good and bad let me tell you! I just have to listen to him moan and gripe about the lack of potatoes. Yay me right? My moans and gripes were bread and sugar, but I ditched sugar in October and other than slip ups at Thanksgiving and Christmas, haven't really wanted it at all. Bread on the other hand...... Oh well, I can just accept that it's bad for me no matter what lifestyle change I do.

And thank you, I like you too!

And man boobs..... Yep, he'd kill me for saying it, but he has 'em. I'd say about a good A cup. I've seen Wheat Belly mentioned a lot and it's on my to buy list when more funds show up. Will he read it? No. It doesn't have pictures or involve dragons and swords does it????? I however will put down my D&D manual and read it, then spend the next few weeks trying to convince him of its wisdom.

I enjoy challenges.

Thanks for the replies! Book should be waiting on me after work and we're going to give it a good read tonight.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 10:02

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

D&D eh? We are longtime wow players in this house

My husband does calp with me, and it has been an adjustment but I'm proud of the changes he's made, and the progress.

For us, both potato lovers, cauliflower has been a saving grace. We use it for faux mashed potatoes, faux potato salad (the recipe I use is truly awesome), riced and then stir-fried, as the base for pizza and breadsticks...it is just an awesome substitute! So...if your husband likes cauliflower already, it's a great thing!