Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 10:59

Plan: Less than 25 carbs
Stats: 504/448/250 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default The odds are against me - yet here i am.

49 years old. Been overweight since I was in my early 20s. Morbidly obese since 30.

Twice I have broken the (hard to even fathom) 500lb mark. Once when I was 38. Lost 105 (went from 504 to 399)...regained it.

Was 502 March 18th of this year. Decided to keep my carbs below 25 and calories below 2000.

Day 70 was this week, down to 448. I appreciate that 54lbs is real and I do feel different. Shirts I couldn't wear last year I can now etc. However, I've been down this road before and can't help but have this voice constantly whisper "so what's going to be the reason you fail this time?"

When I started this latest attempt, I was (aprox) 400 days until my 50th birthday. I worried that maybe I couldn't burn on ketosis like before etc, but so far that's not the case. I eat 1 or 2 meals a day, and to be honest am not usually hungry (which has been great for savings on groceries)

I'm not sure what I expect from this forum. I should be happy that the first 72 days are behind me, and that I'm closer to my goal etc. However, like other addicts, logic doesn't always play into the decision to cheat etc. I've never had a successful cheat "day". A cheat day invariably becomes a month or year etc. So if I do post or blog here, I doubt you'll see me mention a cheat day in my near future.

There's many things wrong with reaching this weight (besides the health issues). The lack of a social life. The inability to take a normal bath etc.

444 will be a number I am hoping to see soon. Previous times I was over that weight and hit 444, I was able to sit in movie theater seats etc, so I'm hoping to pass that one in the next few weeks.

I have lost (and regained) 65 lbs (2006), 105 lbs (2008), 80 lbs (2014) - so I can't get too excited about 52 lbs. If I'm still posting when I'm below 350, then I might believe that this time is for real.

28 (I think) days until day 100. I have zero fear that I'll make it to day 100. I know I can do that much.

Last edited by cokezero : Sat, May-26-18 at 11:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 12:45
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey cokezero! I don't think the odds are against you!

If losing weight were easy, we'd all be at our goal weight and healthy our first attempt. Nice dream...

Like you, I've lost lots of weight, re-gained, re-lost, rinse, recycle and repeat... I've calculated that I've lost close to 600 lbs with all my decades of losing... that doesn't include the bumps up when I fall off the wagon and went back "at it"!

My advice, NEVER GIVE UP b/c truly the odds will be against you!

Wishing you much success on your journey, zero!

Edited to add: Give the "odds" the FINGER, I've never been much of a gambler... but Imma not willing to gamble with my good health, know what I mean?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 13:56

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome cokezero.

You have the benefit of past experience with this. You know what's worked for you and maybe you have some idea of how you came to regain it each time. It's important to learn from both sides of that experience.

When I was at my heaviest, I too used to assume that I would never be able to make this work, because all past attempts at dieting etc had failed, so you know, why should this be any different? It's an easy - even understandable - mistake to assume that just because you haven't been able to go all the way before, that things won't be any better this time around. However, it's still a mistake.

As to what you might get from this forum, well that's up to you. I too joined after I'd lost my first 40-50 pounds, because I felt I was on my way and just needed a place to help keep me on the right path. Have a good read about the place (you might find Ken's success story interesting), get comfortable if you like what you see, feel free to chime in with your own experiences at some point, maybe even start a journal if you find yourself sticking around.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 15:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Have a good read about the place (you might find Ken's success story interesting), get comfortable if you like what you see, feel free to chime in with your own experiences at some point, maybe even start a journal if you find yourself sticking around.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the link to Ken's story. Incredible.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 14:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Lots of success stories here. Usually it's not the first time a person's dieted down, when they finally get to successful maintenance. That old 95 percent of diets fail doesn't mean 95 percent of dieters fail, it just means that people fail before they succeed. You can fail any number of times, it only has to work once. Okay, not quite true, for it to continue working, you have to continue working it. Is that enough sunshine for you yet?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 16:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Your odds of success will be greatly enhanced if you start giving yourself messages that say that this time you are determined that you will succeed, that you know how to succeed, and that there are many people here on this forum that can support you on this journey to success who can serve as role models. Having a no cheat rule is a good practice along with a rule that says that even if you do slip up you will get right back on the straight and narrow. It takes discipline and commitment but, speaking from experience, it is more than worth it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 16:25

BF:

Thanks for such nice messages.

I already regret phrasing the subject line as it implies somehow that I'm a victim etc. I've never believed that genetics etc caused this issue for me. Says the odds are against me implies a lot. All I know is that if I do lose 1 lb, I can lose 2. And if I can make it through today, I can make it through tomorrow.

Zero cheating is a big one. I know my history. I need to stick to that rule for sure!

My niece gave me one of those photo calendars with her kids on it. Each day I write the # of the previous day (ie: this morning..Saturday...I wrote 71 on Friday to signify completing 71 days). This has been a strangely motivating factor for me.

Having lost enough family and friends over the years, I won't wish away time and wish for the next 400-600 days to just disappear. If this is going to work, I need to be a bit better version of me than I was yesterday, and to appreciate the fact that I still have this chance to lose.

Can't say enough about Ken's journey. I bookmarked it and will definitely revisit it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 18:02

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome! I'm an old timer here who recently returned. This forum can be a great tool for reading and learning from others. Come here often and keep learning. Mix foods up in your menu to keep it interesting. Get some new ideas in the recipe forum.

You are here and you are already doing this and you will do this. Come to this forum for support and information every day, keep a detailed journal every day, tell your menu, how you feel, and even when you don't do so well. Hold yourself accountable and let everyone around know it too.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 18:10

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Just want to welcome you. Lots of great folks posting here to support you. You've come to a good place. Ken is a really cool dude. I've met him in real life.

He's still at it. It never stops. One day at a time, one meal at a time, one bite at a time. Best of luck to you and know that we're here for you.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 04:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
Glad that you found this forum...it offers good information, support like Buddy groups and challenges and inspirational success stories. Another fan of Ken and Grav, guys who have not only lost significant weight but have kept it off and will freely help you to your goal. They both published their stories on DietDoctor, and you can find more at that website, including this new post from a man who lost 247 pounds and created a well-written blog about his LCHF journey. https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-weig...n-me-a-new-life and the long time low carb fan Larry Diamond. https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-is-...your-loved-ones

There is an older thread here about changing habits, some people are successful with the occasional treat to keep them going, but from this discussion you will see most of us on this forum are "Abstainers". It is easier to develop the habit "I never eat sugar or grains" than to once a week have "one cookie" http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195 And if you ever do want to read a good overview LCHF book as you see here, many are inspired by Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat.

Look around the various sub-forums here, many interesting topics. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-27-18 at 04:56.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 06:26

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, CZ. Welcome! I wish you success and joy in low-carb living.