Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 01:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default High fat, low carb Ketogenic diets work, but you’ll have to be disciplined

Quote:
news.com.au
3 July, 2017

High fat, low carb Ketogenic diets work, but you’ll have to be disciplined

Susie Burrell

IF YOU have any interest in the world of diet and nutrition chances are you would have seen reference to a ‘keto’, or low carb, high fat (LCHF) approach to diets and weight loss.

Used clinically for many years, specifically in the area of epilepsy where it is used to help reduce seizures, ketogenic diets are also known for their relatively quick weight loss outcomes. Not a new area of nutrition but one that has become increasingly popular in recent years, the question is, ‘is a ketogenic diet the right diet for you?’

Ketogenic diets refer to diets that are particularly low in carbohydrates (ranging from 5-20%, or 20-50g of total carbohydrates and high in fats (up to 75% in total fat). This is as opposed to standard ‘diets’ which contain 30-50% carbohydrates and just 30% fat or less. Diets that are much lower in carbohydrate than the muscles and the brain typically need to function shift the body into a state known as ‘ketosis’ in which fat stores in the body are broken down into ketones which fuel the muscles and the brain in place of the carbohydrates when they are in limited supply. The result is enhanced fat burning and relatively quick weight loss as compared to a traditional dietary approaches.

There is no evidence to show that keto diets are damaging to the body. In fact, with their superior weight loss and associated reductions in inflammation in the body, there are a number of benefits, particularly for individuals with high blood glucose levels, fatty liver and significant amounts of weight to lose.

The primary issue with keto diets is that the total amount of carbohydrate consumed needs to be kept very low, or the body will quickly come out of ketosis. For example, a low carb diet for most of the day followed by an extra snack of chocolate or piece of banana bread will quickly negate any of the potential benefits of ketosis as the total amount of carbohydrate rises above the upper limits of 50g or so for the average adult.

Any diet — including a keto approach — will work if people stick to it. but in the case of keto diets, unless you are prepared to eat no grains, bread, cereals, fruit, starchy vegetables or sugars for long periods of time, it probably is not for you.

A keto diet uses foods that are high in fats to such as nuts, avocado, oils, oily fish and cheese to replace carbohydrate in the diet. For example, eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast, tuna salad with cheese for lunch and steak and avocado for dinner. While this dietary approach may appeal at first, the average person tends to get sick of eating such as limited variety of foods over time and will often crave more fresh fruit, grains and sugars over time which makes long term compliance, especially when individuals regularly eat in social environments challenging.

While the Atkins Diet promoted a low carb, high fat approach, the main difference with modern keto approaches is that the focus is on good fats such as olive oil, nuts, seeds and oily fish as opposed to fatty meats, full cream dairy and butter, for which a high intake is linked to increase blood fats. It also appears that the weight loss benefits and positive impact on inflammation in the body that is the result of a keto approach appears to negate any issues with consuming a high-fat diet in general, as long as the good fats dominate.

A less frequently mentioned issue with weight loss as a result of a LCHF diet is what happens when individuals return to their usual eating habits. While keto diets will work as long as they are followed, returning to a high carb diet is likely to result in rapid weight gain. What’s worse is if you try a LCHF diet again, you are unlikely to be able to replicate the results. This is because a reduction in metabolism has resulted due to muscle mass loss as part of the initial weight loss process. For this reason, when using a LCHF diet, expert advice to support a transition back to a regular style of eating is crucial to support long term weight loss maintenance.

Another big issue with a pure keto approach is that the diet tends to be relatively low in some types of fibre as grains, cereals and much fruit is eliminated. This can result in constipation, gut discomfort and means that the gut is not receiving the prebiotics known to benefit gut health and immune function long term. For this reason when planning a keto diet, much attention needs to be paid into the types of vegetables and supplements consumed to attempt to preserve gut health and function.

Keto diets and the fans that swear by them often refer to the improved physical and mental performance associated with consuming fewer carbohydrates. New research published by the Australian Institute of Sport to date has not supported this finding, with athletes on a LCHF diet failing to see the improvements in performance compared to a higher carb approach. While this is just one study, it does question the physical performance benefits often claimed by fans of LCHF diets.

So should you try it? Any diet will work when it is followed. The primary issue with a keto approach is that people do not do it properly to get the best results, or they are not compliant for the long periods of time it takes to get significant weight loss. If you do have significant amounts of weight to lose, or are struggling with high blood sugars or a fatty liver, it may be worth a try but do it with supervision from a dietitian to make sure you are doing it the right way to get the best results without damaging your metabolism or gut health long term.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...725a93b8bb74124

Quote:

THIS keto diet plan offers ‘superior’ weight loss - according to Australian dietician

THE KETO diet offers ‘superior’ weight loss, according to Australian a dietician. The ketogenic diet is a high-protein diet which involves cutting carbohydrate foods from your diet.

Susie Burrell is a dietician and nutritionist with two Honours degrees in Nutrition & Dietetics and Psychology.

She has told dieters that there are many benefits to the diet plan.

She wrote for news.com of the keto diet: “With their superior weight loss and associated reductions in inflammation in the body, there are a number of benefits, particularly for individuals with high blood glucose levels, fatty liver and significant amounts of weight to lose.”

She also said: “There is no evidence to show that keto diets are damaging to the body.”

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style.../Keto-diet-plan

Quote:

Would YOU try the keto diet? Expert says controversial eating plan leads to 'superior' weight loss and there is 'no evidence it is damaging to the body'

• The dieting world can be a tricky one with people not knowing what works
  • Australian nutritionist Susie Burrell said that a low carb diet may work for some
  • Known as a 'ketogenic diet' it involves limiting your carbohydrate intake
  • If done properly all diets work, you just have to find what works for you, she said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...eight-loss.html

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Jul-06-17 at 01:30.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 03:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Demi, You're going to be a very busy woman with all these Ketogenic articles being published all over the world
Many thanks for all your work gathering these stories. Cant complain on the basis of any media coverage is good coverage.

This one started out well! But then devolved into the no fibre, no energy, and darn, it doesn't keep working if you return to eating a crap diet. What a surprise
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 04:00

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
While the Atkins Diet promoted a low carb, high fat approach, the main difference with modern keto approaches is that the focus is on good fats such as olive oil, nuts, seeds and oily fish as opposed to fatty meats, full cream dairy and butter, for which a high intake is linked to increase blood fats. It also appears that the weight loss benefits and positive impact on inflammation in the body that is the result of a keto approach appears to negate any issues with consuming a high-fat diet in general, as long as the good fats dominate.

Negate issues--I would say, no. Suppose you ate an all-cracker diet and got scurvy. Your twin ate all crackers and some oranges. The oranges didn't negate something poisonous about crackers (at least in reversing the scurvy), it addressed a lack. You can't separate the effects from the conditions under which the effects occur. In the old genes or environment debate, the answer is no. Do genes or environment cause blah? No. It's always genes and environment. There are no "issues with consuming a high-fat diet in general," there are conditions under which fat might contribute to issues. Otherwise, you're defining the very historically abnormal modern diet pattern as sort of the universal baseline.

Gotta be grassfed, gotta be organic, gotta be "good fats"--okay, but most of the studies showing benefits to a very low carb diet are basically Atkins without these stipulations. And--if I switched to a 70 grams per day life without bread type diet, I'd likely gain weight, it's what's happened to me in the past--but on a population basis, what randomized studies have shown disagrees that low carb diets lose all their power unless the diet is very strictly ketogenic, moderate approaches do show benefit. Some people will do better on a stricter program--some people who could benefit from a looser approach won't even show up, putting across that the diet needs to be stricter than it does can make it a harder sell.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 07:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

For flip's sake, it is ATKINS. They try to dance around it, but it is simply about dropping artificial sweeteners and stopping before reaching the top of the carb ladder... and people have been doing that all by themselves for years.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 07:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Why do they make this way of eating sound so hard?? A person actually can live without bread (etc.), fruit, and sugar without being bored to death. In fact, I've learned that a person can actually watch a movie in a theater without eating anything! Imagine that.

Quote:
For this reason, when using a LCHF diet, expert advice to support a transition back to a regular style of eating is crucial to support long term weight loss maintenance.
Isn't it odd to embark on a healthy new way of eating by making a plan to "transition" back to unhealthy eating??

Long-term maintainers on this site are rather less visible than the Big Losers and the Beginners. But they/we are here. We're not touting the latest fad, whether IF or Keto or whatever. We're just doing what we learned to do, what we need to do, to keep our pesky metabolisms in check.

Best wishes!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 08:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Long-term maintainers on this site are rather less visible than the Big Losers and the Beginners. But they/we are here. We're not touting the latest fad, whether IF or Keto or whatever. We're just doing what we learned to do, what we need to do, to keep our pesky metabolisms in check.

Weight loss is only one of the many benefits of eating in a healthy way. Weight loss is one of the most dramatic effects of low carb eating but long term maintenance of health is truly the most important long term result of a low carb diet. It is not outwardly dramatic but it is truly the highest good that can be derived from this way of eating. Long live the maintainers! (at least that is what we hope.)

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 13:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just realized, what am I going to do without grains, bread, cereals, fruit, starchy vegetables or sugars? I've been doing this for a long time, and after reading the article, I've finally come to my senses. Wow! I must eat a very boring diet and when eating out during my social and business activities and never having ordered or specified a "special meal," how have I survived? Where have my muscles gone???
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 13:34

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Perfectly grilled steak and steamed asparagus coated with butter & salt sound oh so boring (not!). They are the sorts of things I wished I could have when on low-cal fat free diets in the 1980s & 1990s. When you are not hungry all the time, a ketogenic diet is so easy to follow that I often forget to eat. That never happened when snacking on 100 calories of carefully-counted-out fat-free low-salt pretzels with the rest of the bag calling out to me from the cupboard!

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Jul-06-17 at 13:42.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 06:57

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oh, the terror of eating out! NOT. Last night we dined (somewhat reluctantly but conveniently) at a national steakhouse chain restaurant. The 12 oz prime rib was perfectly cooked. The tossed salad (usual ingredients) was crisp, and the blue cheese dressing acceptable. The broccoli was outstanding!

Nobody forced me to eat anything from the extensive menu of "shareables" (heavily breaded and fried) or the dessert card. Nobody made me drink the $10 margarita (bet that involved a bit of sugar, no?)

Anyway, did I feel deprived? Did I mention the excellent prime rib? The buttered broccoli?

I'm never going back to low-fat, calorie-counting torture.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 07:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I'm never going back to low-fat, calorie-counting torture.

#11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 13:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think the Real butter on veggies is the best part of this WOE...with a nice steak and mushrooms sautéed in butter of course LOL. .
One lady I was explaining this to thought she would have to eat less food but I explained that it's just the opposite. When I was heavier, I could never understand how I could eat so little and not loose weight.
It's not how much I eat but what I eat.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 03:41

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

What gets me about the headline - "High fat, low carb Ketogenic diets work, but you’ll have to be disciplined" - Um, have they noticed that a low fat, high carb diet can also work (at least for some people), but you need to be really, really, really disciplined to stick to that, especially since you're required to eat starvation rations, and endure near constant hunger?

No thanks, give me LC any day over that nonsense - been there, done that, still wearing a lot of the results of the uncontrollable cravings that resulted, because I couldn't be disciplined at all, when I was so incredibly hungry all the time.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 09:10

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

All weightloss, or achieving ANYTHING worthwhile EVER, requires discipline...

Is that a bad thing? Discipline? Heavens no! Never discipline. Anathema! Eschew that!

I'm sorry. But that is the stupidest argument.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 13:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Living and enjoying life requires discipline. Amazing that some think everything should be a skate.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 06:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Living and enjoying life requires discipline. Amazing that some think everything should be a skate.

It is funny that they imply constant effort; when that was my experience with the low calorie version, the low fat version, the portion control version, the exercise constantly version...

Low carb has been, and continues to be darn easy. There's been a lot of tweaking, a illness challenge, and some backsliding along the way, but it's also been one of the the easiest accomplishments I've ever done.