Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 19:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/153/135 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Lost weight on low carb diet, quit smoking

I started my low carb diet two years ago. I lost 30 lbs. Sounds Great but I stopped smoking six months ago. I started exercising more, kept up with the low carb diet and I have gained 15 lbs. Help. What can I do. I see a doctor and she says that it will come back off but the more I try and exercise, the weight is creeping up 3 lbs. per week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 19:54

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Are you gaining muscle or are you gaining fat? And what are you eating and in what quantities? These are all things we will need to know.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Hey Karci! Congrats on the quitting, keep it up... Have you tried going back on induction?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 22:27

Plan: low carbs/ NO SUGAR
Stats: 110/100/95 Female 4/11
BF:
Progress: 67%

hi, I really need help too! I have maintained for about 5 years on low carb even eating half a block of dark choc on most days and never put weight on but I quit in november and it feels like my weight is slowly going up each week. I'v tryed it all - clean eating, more fat, no diet coke at all( i would have 2litres a day!) and nothing is working. I only want too loose 1-2 kgs then I'll feel fine but now I'm misserable because I keep thinking my weight will go up and I will never get it off.
I eat about 1000 cal a day becuase I'm only 5ft so any weight gain you can notice straight away, I can't do any exercise because I have bad knees.
I'm too scared to increase my cals because I feel like I will just put on weight because I've kept it at 1000 for so long.
What should I do?????????????????????????/
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 00:53

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Hello and welcome.
They tell us to pick a plan and follow it. It truly helps. Atkins is very popular here. I am doing Suzanne Somer and love the plan. There is a great deal of support and information here - you'll succeed in your goals. You're in the right place.
Kat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 03:33

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Welcome peeps.. First of all, hearty congratulations for giving up the cigarettes. Stopping smoking is probably the best thing you can do to prolong your life, unless you do stuff like jumping out of aircraft without a parachute, etc.

MVSprite's advice is great. I personally am on Atkins, because I love the book, and love the big list of foods I can choose from, with no set menus.

I found this article quite interesting:

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/wei...ghtgainquit.htm

It says that smoking burns up some calories and slightly increases the metabolism. You can increase your metabolism by building muscle, which burns more energy than fat, even when you are sleeping.

New studies have shown that if you do bursts of intensive exercise, then it is as beneficial as hours spent at the gymn:

"The key ... is to do four 30-second sprints on an exercise bike at your maximum effort, with short rests in between bursts. The whole thing should take about four minutes. Doing this, even just twice a week, will bring clear benefits."

Here is the full article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ss-1605271.html

Callanetics is another method of building muscle without bulk, to streamline your body.

Muscle weighs heavier than fat, so when you do these activities, your weight might not change, so you have to guage the results in the way your clothes fit.

Good luck with getting your weight back under control. Don't be tempted to go back to smoking. My friend's smoking parents died years ago, while my parents are still healthy and living a great active life. Both my smoking grandfathers died when I was in my early childhood - one was already in a wheelchair, using commodes and requiring nursing care before he died, having had a series of smoking related strokes. It was a stroke which finally killed him. He never had given up smoking. Both their non-smoking widows outlived them by over 20 years. One of them took up painting, got a parrot and a dog, fell in love and married again: it was like another life, freed up from the nursing duties.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-06-12 at 03:40.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 04:47

Plan: low carbs/ NO SUGAR
Stats: 110/100/95 Female 4/11
BF:
Progress: 67%

thanks Kirseen for the advice!.
I quit cold turkey after smoking for 15 years and dont miss it one bit so I know I'll never start again but the main issue is I have knee probs so cant do any form of exersice. I work 6 days a week in an office so I'm sitting all day, so when I get home I'm pretty tired to do anything as I'm in pain for most of the day.
Iam still slim as you can see by my stats but I'm worried if I keep putting on weight I'll never be able to go down again which is whats happening now
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 06:47

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I gained 60 pounds when I quit smoking 10 years ago BUT I didn't know anything about the Atkins diet at that time. If I could do it over, I would be on the Atkins diet when I stopped smoking. I would be very careful to eat nutritious comfort foods (think bacon and eggs), and I would take advantage of the legal sweet treat recipes which can be found on this board in order to keep yourself from feeling so desperate and deprived. You might allow yourself a few more calories each day to help you get through this very stressful period but be sure to watch the carbs!

When I quit smoking, it was the craving for sweets that caused my massive weight gain. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and baking a three-layer coconut cake. Weight gain from smoking cessation is why I'm here NOW.

But if I had known to eat whipped cream with cocoa and stevia instead, maybe I would not have gained all this weight! Chocolate is a good substitute for nicotine.

Exercise has never been a big part of any diet I have been on. Exercise makes me antsy and hungry. It's great, but you can lose weight just by watching what goes into your mouth.

Best wishes with your smoking and weight programs!!

Last edited by RuthannP : Fri, Apr-06-12 at 07:01.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
I have knee probs so cant do any form of exersice.

Have a think about Callanetics for beginners. The video/DVD shows how the routine can be adjusted around physical infirmity. I am severely disabled and bedridden through illness, and I can actually do all the exercises in bed (adapted to suit my limitations). You start at a level suitable to your abilities. The movements are tiny. There's one you can do sitting at a desk, and most you could do watching the TV etc.. They are not high energy or tiring, or I couldn't do them.

Also, the vigorous exercise needn't be done on an exercise bike.. It's basically anything vigorous. 2 minutes of activity is very little. I have just done it in bed, while watching CSI by tapping a pillow for 30 sec. twice, rest, writhing for 30sec. rest, then moving my legs for 30sec. That was pushing my muscles to their limit and I won't manage to do it every day, but my life is very sedentary, and I'd love to use this great technique to improve my health. If I can manage it, almost anyone can.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-06-12 at 11:51.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 10:54

BF:

Quote:
Exercise has never been a big part of any diet I have been on. Exercise makes me antsy and hungry. It's great, but you can lose weight just by watching what goes into your mouth.

It is true that exercise can make you hungry if it triggers an insulin peak, but I am not sure if the two exercise suggestions I made would do that - the intensive one involves 2 minutes of exercise altogether (30 seconds of activity followed by 30 seconds of rest, done four times). The second one is slow gradual muscle toning, and could be spaced over a day.

It is worth considering, because a deficit of 200 calories a day is quite a lot, and both of the posters are already sorta low-carbing, plus the first poster is gaining a lot of weight quickly. I know what that feels like because I was gaining weight at that rate once, and I ended very obese with over 100 lbs to lose - that's what brought me to this website and the Atkins diet. I am still trying to manage lose it all. I'm not sure if the intensive exercise would aid weight-loss, but it certainly gives big physical health advantages for a couple of minutes of exercise a few days a week. That's amazing! The Callanetics gives the advantage of streamlining, even if you don't lose any weight, so you look a lot slimmer.

Like you say, though, cutting calories might be equally, or more, effective. It just depends which people prefer - trying 2 minutes of exercise / 2 minutes rest a day, to see if that helps to improve their metabolism.. or cutting out 200 calories a day. I couldn't lose 200 calories a day myself. I'd probably die of malnutrition.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-06-12 at 11:53.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 15:11
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

You could exercise in the water. It protects your knees.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 21:19

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

[QUOTE=Kirsteen]Have a think about Callanetics for beginners. The video/DVD shows how the routine can be adjusted around physical infirmity.

Can you give me a bit more details on where I can get info?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 06:51

BF:

Some details and customer reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Cal...D/dp/B001B6BF24

There's a short entry in Wikipedia, explaining that the programme was developed by Callan Pinckney to help ease a back problem that she was born with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callanetics

There's a short extract from the video, which shows Callan teaching the techniques to various people, all of whom have physical limitations of some sort, on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydaIpqPzZo

The white haired lady is 80 years old with arthritis in her spine, and her doctor says that if she hadn't been doing the exercises every day she'd be bedridden.

There are also threads on the internet where people post their progress and some before / after photographs.

the first photo:

http://www.freewebs.com/agnesnagy/beforeafterforweb.jpg

the second:

http://c.imagehost.org/0014/callanetics_hour3-6-15.jpg

Just do a search on "Callanetics before and after" to find either images or links to forums.

It is actually hard to believe the results, particularly the speed of the changes, but I can vouch for them myself. A friend tried the routines and in weeks streamlined her very nice, well-proportioned figure into a fantastic, sleek, lithe panda form. It was truly amazing. I therefore recommended it to someone else who had dieted herself to a crisp in an attempt to get rid of tummy flab accumulated 16 years before in pregnancy. In spite of being obviously underweight, her tummy was still flabby and the skin was a terrible mess - all folds and wrinkles. Without joke or exaggeration, she was wearing crop tops a few weeks later. I have no idea how many hours she devoted to the exercises, but it could not have been a lot because she was working two full-time jobs at the time, which totaled more than 80 hours per week, plus traveling. I don't believe it is possible to do the exercises for longer than 30-60 mins a day, because it would just not be possible to do them for longer. The recommendation for "Beginning Callanetics" is to do them for 1/2 hour 2-3 times a week, to give your muscles a chance to recover.

Beginning Callanetics is a reduced programme and intended to ease people gently into the programme. Nevertheless, it helped me to streamline.

I'm glad I thought about Callanetics. I haven't done any for a while, and I have a big "do" approaching for which I want to look as trim as I can. It's time for me to dig out that video, I think.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Apr-07-12 at 17:19.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 07:10

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytan
hi, I really need help too! I have maintained for about 5 years on low carb even eating half a block of dark choc on most days and never put weight on but I quit in november and it feels like my weight is slowly going up each week. I'v tryed it all - clean eating, more fat, no diet coke at all( i would have 2litres a day!) and nothing is working. I only want too loose 1-2 kgs then I'll feel fine but now I'm misserable because I keep thinking my weight will go up and I will never get it off.
I eat about 1000 cal a day becuase I'm only 5ft so any weight gain you can notice straight away, I can't do any exercise because I have bad knees.
I'm too scared to increase my cals because I feel like I will just put on weight because I've kept it at 1000 for so long.
What should I do?????????????????????????/

You are now five years older I've been maintaining for over ten years...and, at one time (about seven years ago) I had an 'unrealistic for my hormone status' weight goal (it was around 95 to 100 lbs. I'm now 4'11" down two inches from vertebrae and bone problems).

I don't eat 1000 calories a day...that would be unrealistic TOO as I can only do walking and weight bearing exercise.

You might want to 'assess' your hormone status now, the fact that you are older, the fact that 1000 calories on a HIGH FAT LOWCARB way of life isn't 'realistic' and that as we age we DO go up in weight.

I 'look good' at 112 lbs., I look 'great' at 118 lbs. when able to lift weights (I need: double hip replacement, shoulder, one knee, and my back is also 'bad' from having to take steroids for years for another condition..don't think lowcarb did it please, lol).

I know that when my thyroid wasn't 'properly replaced' with both T4 and T3 hormone, and at same time, menopause came to light (I was only 38) I didn't lose a lot during that time of 'replacement' but now..my weight stays pretty steady and I eat on a 'cycling' pattern...lowest cals at 1400 and highest one day at around 2200....I maintain well and easily. I'm 57 and a half now.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 07:26

BF:

Quote:
I don't eat 1000 calories a day...that would be unrealistic TOO as I can only do walking and weight bearing exercise.

Quote:
I eat on a 'cycling' pattern...lowest cals at 1400 and highest one day at around 2200....I maintain well and easily.

Can you explain what you mean here, Pam.. To the uninitiated it seems that you are saying that 1000 calories a day is too high for maintenance, but later you seem to be saying that you are maintaining at between 1400-2200 calories daily.