Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 15:15

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%
Default an open letter to Alton Brown

i thought long and hard about where i should put this... so if anyone feels it needs to be moved to maybe the media section or the general section, please feel free to do so.

i've looked all over the foodtv.com and alton brown's website but there's no really good way to get this to him, so i thought i would share it with everyone here... if anyone's got suggestions or knows where to send fan mail, please let me know!

Dear Alton;

I have been a fan of Good Eats for several years now, and I can happily say that your show is everything you had intended it to be: informative, innovative, and intelligently humorous. Thanks to your descriptions and detailed explanations of the chemical reactions that occur in cooking, I've learned more about how to handle, or not handle, food than from any other source.

I recently caught the episode titled "Power Trip" which looked at various health food bars and explained how to make them at home. I was very happy to see the explanation you gave on the different components of nutrition (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins), and how they affect the human body. You had indicated that high amounts of carbohydrates were fine for marathon runners or other endurance athletes but not for the everyday average person, and that fats were essential for the human body to function and not the horrible substance which should be avoided at all costs that it's been made out to be.

But then you said something that had me reaching for the remote, ready to swap your bespectacled face for anything else, even a giant purple dinosaur or four brightly-colored baby aliens. In describing one of the recipes, you said the bars would even be fine for people who'd joined a "low carb cult."

I don't know that words are sufficient to express how deeply offended I was. While many of us gladly adhere to low-carbing ideals and principles, even to the point of religious devotion, to call it a cult is demeaning and indicates blind fervor and unquestioning acceptance of the validity of anything claiming to be low-carb. Most of us who have adopted a low-carb lifestyle have done so for medical reasons. We deal with food addictions that hinder our ability to get proper nutrition, we have either shown the precursory signs of or have been diagnosed with diabetes, or we deal with gluten intolerances that make most readily-available processed foods impossible for us to eat. Those of us not faced with medical issues follow low-carbing for the other health benefits it gives us, such as increased metabolic efficiency, better cognitive functions since we don't deal with sugar crashes during the day, increased energy and stamina, and collectively we've lost more points on our cholesterol than the pounds lost from the entire cast of "The Biggest Loser". With all the other health benefits we've gained, simple weight loss is just a footnote in comparison.

The more research is done on the effects of a low-carb lifestyle, the more science is admitting that fats are indeed good for us, high amounts of processed carbohydrates are bad for us, and that sugar is effectively poisoning us. Those of us who low-carb primarily eat whole, fresh foods. We embrace vegetables and healthy fats like olive oil and butter. We revel in eggs, meats, and good cheeses. For the most part, we've stepped away from processed "frankenfoods" that provide little to no nutritional value.

The human body evolved to survive on a diet of protein and fats, with limited sources of complex carbohydrates and even fewer sources of simple carbohydrates. So please, don't call low-carbers a cult... just call us human.

Best regards;

Kaett von M.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 15:29

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I haven't watched Alton for quite a few years, but I doubt that he meant the word 'cult' to be insulting. I would think that he meant it to be humerous.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I haven't watched Alton for quite a few years, but I doubt that he meant the word 'cult' to be insulting. I would think that he meant it to be humerous.

i wish i could say he was, but the tone of voice he used and the expression on his face said exactly what he thought of lowcarbing, and it wasn't pretty.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 15:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

You may be able to send you message to Alton through the Good Eats email.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 15:56

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

I love A.B. but I agree with you on that episode... I tvo all his shows and have learned a lot.... did you know that avocado means testicle in Aztec ???
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 16:01
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

Cool. Maybe we should threaten to kick him in tha avocados if he refers to low carbers as a cult again.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 16:06
Operation Ann 2013

Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Cool. Maybe we should threaten to kick him in tha avocados if he refers to low carbers as a cult again.

I also saw that episode, and was kind of shocked by his choice of words!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

he's got a great set of knives with his mug on them...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 21:03
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Liz! Too funny!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 21:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I was already mad at him for feeding his dog chocolate...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 02:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284.4/274/150 Female 5 "4
BF:
Progress: 8%

Sometimes people dont think about how their choice of words can offend people..
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 18:32

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I love Alton too much to be mad at him for that remark (I think I remember seeing that episode). Have you tried his cast-iron seared, oven-baked steak? I tried the recipe only a couple weeks after going to a fancy steak house (thanks to a gift cert. my hubby got). My steak at the steak house cost $60. His recipe was SPOT ON and just as buttery/tasty/delicious.

Problem is, I can't try it again until we get better ventillation over the stove. It is quite the smoke-maker! :-)
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 12:43

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

I love Alton Brown, but disappointed to hear about this remark.
Since we both live in the same town, I'll be sure to give him a talkin' to if I ever see him.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 16:14
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Now I'm thinking - sometimes we are cultish. We sometimes have a certain evangelical fervor, and despite how things are slowly changing, low-carb is still sort of unusual.

I hate to think what Tony Bourdain would say about us...probably not anything printable. He doesn't like people on special diets. Although I think he's meaner to vegetarians than he would ever be to us!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Now I'm thinking - sometimes we are cultish. We sometimes have a certain evangelical fervor, and despite how things are slowly changing, low-carb is still sort of unusual.

yes, but we're not doing it blindly... we understand why and how this works, and we tweak it accordingly. we can be emphatically passionate about low-carbing, but nobody here is going to eat poisoned sugar-free jello to join dr. atkins on the mothership .