Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 17:25

Plan: personal
Stats: 143/143/143 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Default Doing great on one meal a day

Hi everyone
I'm new here but have been a lurker for few months
I was looking for other people to share information and tips on the "one meal a day" diet. It's also called "warrior diet" but I don't call it like that because mine is not the exact warrior diet, just something similar.

I'm eating 1800 calories in just one meal a day and I'm feeling great and hard to believe I don't feel stuffed at all after my meal, I don't feel sluggish or anything

It actually started a day I was going to eat out. Realizing there were lot of food to eat I thought it was a good idea to eat nothing during the day so to avoid an excessive calorie intake. The next day I was feeling satiated the whole day as if the big evening meal lasted for the whole night and whole morning and I didn't eat nothing till evening.

I have better digestion, I sleep better and I'm maintaning my muscle while losing some stubborn abdominal fat. But what's most incredible is how this changed my approach to food.

If I had eaten chicken for lunch I didn't want to eat chicken for dinner too, if I had one egg as my snack I didn't want any more eggs in the same day. I was always bored with food, always screwing up my diet because I didn't want to eat the same things and wanted to try new products and frozen foods and such.

But now, my meal looks like a buffet, there's meat, veggies, some beans, potatoes, greek yogurt, nuts, avocado, eggs and I eat mostly the same things everyday and I don't get bored, I don't get anxious thinking I'm "eating the same things", I don't lack enthusiasm because I'm eating foods I have eaten yesterday and before yesterday as well.

For some reason when split into several smaller meals the same foods feel boring, like you're missing something and repeating the same things over and over. But when the same foods are together in one big meal that looks like a potlock, it feels like you're enjoying as much variety as possible and ejoying a new experience every night even if the foods are the same.

it's so refreshing and it fits my lifestyle so well and I feel like food and cooking are not burdens anymore

My diet is 1800 calories, 160g of proteins, 50g of carbs and 106g of fat
It takes me just 1 hour to eat my meal and it's just a relaxing satisfying moment. Is there anyone here who is doing something similar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 17:36
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Around here, it's generally called Intermittent Fasting, and there's a group thread for it that might interest you.

Part III starts with the best info and introduction
Intermittent Fasting threads
Part I: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=309675
Part II: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=343404
Part III: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=357494
Part iV http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=373911
Part V http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...03&page=1&pp=15
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 17:43
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Welcome!

I eat one meal a day that is low carb, then 3 or 4 hours later I may have a small snack.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 21:30

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Well unlike with carbs if you are in ketosis you should have a steady supply of energy.

The reason people feel groggy if they only eat one meal a day with carbs is because you get an insulin spike, then your body hurries to store the carbs as fat. Since you are not in fat-burning mode your body demands more energy so you get hungry.

I mean, when everything is said and done whatever works works. Sounds like a good thing to me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 22:09

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
Welcome!

I eat one meal a day that is low carb, then 3 or 4 hours later I may have a small snack.

Hi becky!
What's your meal like?
Have you experienced the same epiphany as suddenly food is less boring and less of a burden when you eat everything you want in one big meal?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 07:22
Looking 4 Onederland

I make meatzza, or a chicken thigh and leg with cucumbers and a salad, steak and artichokes, Crackslaw, the options are easier when you are only planning for one meal instead of three. And I'm in the kitchen a whole lot less...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 07:35
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I also eat one meal a day. I find it helps me have more control over food and cravings, helps digestive issues and generally makes me feel better. I generally eat a large portion of meat or fish, eggs, potato, a little veg and butter, carbs under 70g.

Lee
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 23:19

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
I make meatzza, or a chicken thigh and leg with cucumbers and a salad, steak and artichokes, Crackslaw, the options are easier when you are only planning for one meal instead of three

true and it's a paradox but eating many things at once seems like your variety is endless even if you're repeating more of the same foods than when eating 3-4 meals a day
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 00:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Becky - care to share the recipe for crackslaw?? TIA
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 02:52

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I also eat one meal a day. I find it helps me have more control over food and cravings, helps digestive issues and generally makes me feel better. I generally eat a large portion of meat or fish, eggs, potato, a little veg and butter, carbs under 70g.

Lee

yeah it's so simple, so satisfying and you feel so good, it's incredible
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 09:43

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

I have done this twice...eating one meal a day...and both times I have felt so good the next morning...I have felt good til the next time I eat . When i IF, I can be sure I am truly hungry and I hope it shrinks my stomach. I have always been a big eater...not bingeing or eating a lot of sweets...eating real food but too much of it. So I think I will do it again today...just have the one meal...I did it yesterday. So I will see how I feel tomorrow. This could be how I continue my regime....it's intriguing to me...so why not experiment further, you know?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 11:41
Looking 4 Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Becky - care to share the recipe for crackslaw?? TIA

Sure...Crack Slaw

I also make it with left over steak, throw in some onions and peppers. Make your own version, it's easy to improvise with whatever you have in the fridge.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 11:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It is interesting how many people report improved digestion. Any time I've gone to some form of IF (doing every-other-day 500 calories, right now) I have relief from my almost constant IBS. I can even bring back some of the foods that give me issues, like nuts and seeds.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 22:09

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 173.8/138/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 124%

I typically do this too. I often feel hungry during the day so about 3 days per week, I will eat lunch (two sandwiches from a fast food place, without the bun, obviously). But most days, I only eat dinner. Then I feel very satisfied because I feel I can eat a ton of food all in one meal. It's great! It really helps break through plateaus.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 11:26
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutsupdoc
But most days, I only eat dinner. Then I feel very satisfied because I feel I can eat a ton of food all in one meal. It's great!

Yes this feeling of a lack of deprivation from eating one really large satisfying meal, rather than lots of small unsatisfying ones is what helps me with cravings - for me its easier to not eat, than to just eat a little, probably something to do with triggering lots of insulin when I eat or even think about food.

Lee