Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/209/200
BF:
Progress: 74%
Question Greasy feeling/taste in mouth

After seeing my success so far on the Atkins diet, both of my parents have decided to give it a try. They both started induction on Sunday. I am posting this question on their behalf.

They both are experiencing a greasy feeling or taste in their mouths. It is sickening to them and they are discouraged because of it. It started almost immediately after the first meal.

Does anyone know what this is attributed to? Will it go away?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 20:20

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default How weird!

Are they eating tons of Fat or something? Gee never heard of this one. I just know if i eat something kinda fatty like heavy whipping creme. It will make a greasy feeling in my mouth. ewww!
Sorry i dont have a better answer for you!
toodles,
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 21:34

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

What are they eating at mealtimes? I should think if it is foods they have eaten before minus the starch servings (like a steak and salad but no potato) that they shouldn't have a reaction to it.

Both of them? Perhaps they are just more attuned because they've started a new way of eating?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 00:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It could be the "taste" of ketosis. It's described many ways: funky, sweet, metallic...but I've never heard it described as greasy. For me, it sometimes feels "loose", like my saliva is thinner.

If it is ketosis, it will be present when they are burning their own fat stores. Drinking more water can help a bit. Because it is the sure sign of fat burning, it can be a sensation that they will learn to love.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 10:23

Stats: 235/209/200
BF:
Progress: 74%

On the first day, they both had fried eggs/bacon for brunch. Salad on turkey for supper... nothing too bad, I think.

But they are both coming from the world of Weight Watchers... so it may be that the change seems more drastic.

I hope it is just something that just takes getting "used to". But they both felt naseous, and didn't feel like eating much the second day, so I was worried.

Thanks for your replies.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 19:26

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

If they've been on a very-low fat diet for a long time then it is going to take a bit used to eating fat again. Tell them to hang in there! Loss of appetite is actually rather common, they'll come to appreciate that as well.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 20:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Carb withdrawal can make some feel a bit nauseated although I've never experienced that unless I was sick. The first 3-5 days are the toughest for most and after that they feel better than they have in years. Drinking plenty of water really helps as Karen mentioned.
Switching from a low fat mindset to a high fat one can also be difficult, especially after years of thinking of fat as the enemy.
If they haven't yet read the book, encourage them to do so along with perhaps a few others (Protein Power is very good) so that they understand why fat is not the enemy and is actually beneficial to this WOE.